LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Should have worn my goggles...did a slow walk into the snow and wind...A bit brutal . I glassed everywhere, no prints no signs of deer anywhere...I got high and scanned the sanctuary and the neighbors woods and part of gully zip...I figure they are in the pines, east side of hill and or the swamps... glassed part of one swamp ..nothing....sat in the wooden blind just a bit, during worst of it...back to canning sauerkraut... Tomorrow morning should be very good...if the wind isn't a _ _ _ _ _ Hhmmmm:wink:

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Just had a big lone doe at 10yds but she was on the other side of the fence on property I don't have permission to hunt. I hope she crosses this fence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The challenge relys on her crossing the fence. May the force be with you.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Bit windy here ! At least still snow cover . In a stand some newbie says I should sit in , as he saw fresh buck sign .

Since he's done well his first couple years, I'm giving it a shot .

Geeze Larry you could have picked a better less windy day to start listening to some newb 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Just had a big lone doe at 10yds but she was on the other side of the fence on property I don't have permission to hunt. I hope she crosses this fence!

You're a good egg. Nobody besides you would ever know what side of the fence she actually was on. And to boot you're trying to get one for Grandma in exchange for pies and cookies. Hoping karma serves her back your way 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Cookies and pies for me! Shot a big doe just before 4 just got her out of the ravine running home to get the jet sled. Gotta hurry and get her home because if I'm late for my daughter concert she will kill me!

Congrats. 

Just got her loaded in the truck.

1 doe and a spike came out about 250 yds above me in the field with 20 minutes of shooting light left. They were feeding away from me so I knew I had to make my move. I didn't really have a clear shot because of limbs and so I had to stand and shoot freehand. I held about a foot over her B hole and let her rip. I planned on going to church on Sunday for the first time since I was baptized so I knew JC would help guide my bullet.

Ok so the real story the doe and spike came out about 250yds above me and I knew I only had 20 minutes to make it happen so I got out of the stand and started towards them on my hands and knees I closed to about 150 yds in the very crunchy snow, thanks to the hard wind for covering the ridiculous amount of noise I was making. I looked up and saw both deer running and they were heading towards me "no idea why they were running but I'm not complaining" they stopped at about 40yds looking back and I shot her quartering at me a little bit and she did the front end skid and got back on her feet and went about 30yds and died in a thick deep ravine. Big old doe and my great aunt will be happy. Nice easy drag in the sled. Sorry for the crappy pic but I was in a big hurry to make the concert.5e1ae54fac16afdf7c6e8a6c79d872d7.jpg

• Like 28

Just got her loaded in the truck.

1 doe and a spike came out about 250 yds above me in the field with 20 minutes of shooting light left. They were feeding away from me so I knew I had to make my move. I didn't really have a clear shot because of limbs and so I had to stand and shoot freehand. I held about a foot over her B hole and let her rip. I planned on going to church on Sunday for the first time since I was baptized so I knew JC would help guide my bullet.

Ok so the real story the doe and spike came out about 250yds above me and I knew I only had 20 minutes to make it happen so I got out of the stand and started towards them on my hands and knees I closed to about 150 yds in the very crunchy snow, thanks to the hard wind for covering the ridiculous amount of noise I was making. I looked up and saw both deer running and they were heading towards me "no idea why they were running but I'm not complaining" they stopped at about 40yds looking back and I shot her quartering at me a little bit and she did the front end skid and got back on her feet and went about 30yds and died in a thick deep ravine. Big old doe and my great aunt will be happy. Nice easy drag in the sled. Sorry for the crappy pic but I was in a big hurry to make the concert.5e1ae54fac16afdf7c6e8a6c79d872d7.jpg&key=1b57b585899f062f2d2f495bcb4b67a3a62d878e1b535dd2fb961f4f29139d7a

Way to go! And your version cracked me up!

• Like 2

Hey Rockspeck, let me add to the days tally.  Small buck shot a last minute of legal light.  Very glad to get this deer, as I will have only one more day of hunting until muzzleloader, and the freezer is EMPTY!  IMG952097.jpg

• Like 29

Back out in the afternoon . First time it actually felt like deer season with a 23 degree wind chill. From 3:00 til dark the wind got really high. Trees swaying back & forth like crazy. I'm guessing 30-35 mph. Saw a couple in the thick stuff across the ravine but couldn't make out what they were. Back out in the morning since I can't hunt the afternoon. Good luck to all that hunt tomorrow!

39 minutes ago, Otto said:

Hey Rockspeck, let me add to the days tally.  Small buck shot a last minute of legal light.  Very glad to get this deer, as I will have only one more day of hunting until muzzleloader, and the freezer is EMPTY!  

Nice job.  I knew someone would come through right at the end.  Tomorrow is the last day of the challenge and then I'm sure we'll have folks getting it done over the weekend.  Way to go everybody.  Turkey feathers and I are thinking we should extend the challenge to next mon through friday.  Should be a bit more challenging with a little less participation I'm guessing.  What do you think?  Should we go for it?

• Like 1