burmjohn

LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

14 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

Thank you to all the diehards out there today posting and keeping me checking back while I should be working. I knew today was going to be slow on here which means I have to work harder and that sucks.

Just for you...I've got a doe in the brush in front of me browsing for like 2 hours. Less than 50 yards. When will she come out?

• Like 1

Plan A in the climber was a dud. Leaves are really quiet to walk on now since the frost and ice has melted off. Took slow walk to ladder stand for change of scenery. Kicked up a dink on the way. Sun feels good and light winds to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So this morning I hit a piece of state land. Nice cold frosty morning. Leafs are like walking on glass. Get in about 1/2 hr. before day light and about 15 minutes later I hear the patter of something coming in behind me. The wind is slight blowing right to left and what ever is coming is on the downwind side. Finally figured it was a squirrel so I didn't get to exited. Turned to my left and there stands a beautiful coyote 20 yards from me. Figured it had to smell me and would bolt at any time but it just kept coming. Immediately I think " I don't want to shoot this with a shotgun" so I reach down slowly and pull the pistol. It catches the movement and bolts to about 30 yds. to my left.  I let one fly but miss and off it goes.

Then about 15 minutes after that a flock of turkeys start going nuts about 75 yards from me. Didn't see any deer but all morning I am thinking:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

Just for you...I've got a doe in the brush in front of me browsing for like 2 hours. Less than 50 yards. When will she come out?

She'll come out when you shoot her and then drag her home, NOW get in there and get her!!!

• Like 1

Out for the rest of the day. If anything it a great day to be in the woods

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If You register They Will Come

One Man's Dream Has Become America's Nightmare

Plan B hasn't been too fruitful.  But dang it's a nice day.  Today will be an easy dark to dark. Sounds like their driving the mountain on the other side of the road judging by shooting. 

• Like 3

First time out since last Wed, met my friend at sisters for afternoon sit in 9a. It"s dead calm 53F and light breeze.hope these deer wake up early for a walk, i will be waiting.

1128161443.jpg

c07a38d9d23b7555767a7a1fd2d02967.jpg

After 6 years of my dad not getting a deer. He finally connected this morning. I'll put the story in the harvest thread.

• Like 20

In a brand new spot for a short sit. This is one of those properties the deer can pretty much surprise you from any direction. This guy was here this amimage.jpg

• Like 6

Well got a text from the land owner and was told his wife wants a fawn and he doesn't feel like shooting one so hes given the job to me. I was actually going to give away my 3J doe tag this year because I decided not to use it, but im glad I decided to keep it. First fawn or yearling that shows up is going down. Ill wait to see if a buck is following and if not ill be dropping the hammer. There is a white fawn that frequents his brothers property and sometimes his and he asked me not to shoot it. Good thing he told me because I would have definitely shot it. 

• Like 1

And it's a wrap. Chickadees , Pileated and downy woodpecker, black , grey and red squirrel, pair of red tail hawks , nuthatches and a small fawn. Gorgeous day though

• Like 2

10 hours ago, goosifer said:

live from the stand in 9A. Moderate SE wind and colorful skies. I put out a new doe in heat, antler ice, with my own dispenser using a heatpack and unscented pantyliner. If it works, I will post a pic. [original pic of sky deleted]

well, it didn't work, as I saw absolutely nothing today. but in case you are interested, here is a pic of my homemade heated scent dispenser, taking the term "doe in heat" to a new level . . . .

WP_20161128_13_45_43_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadd Rapp said:

c07a38d9d23b7555767a7a1fd2d02967.jpg

After 6 years of my dad not getting a deer. He finally connected this morning. I'll put the story in the harvest thread.

Nice and with a shotgun and only iron sites looks like ?

• Like 1

Nice and with a shotgun and only iron sites looks like ?

Yes sir. Iron sights only. The shot was almost 100 yards. I was a bit off on my calculations of where the deer were gonna come out of the woods. lol.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shadd Rapp said:

Yes sir. Iron sights only. The shot was almost 100 yards. I was a bit off on my calculations of where the deer were gonna come out of the woods. lol.

What ammo you using ?

So I saw no deer but heard my first ever snort wheeze in real life.  He was there...just wouldn't come out of the bushes.  I was so pumped.  Had a great evening 45 minute sit.

• Like 5

Well boys and girls... I know this is our NY thread, but I got it done in southwestern PA today for opening day. I wanted to share because you are my NY hunting family. Also, I shared previously about my old processor in PA. In NY, I take the deer, they fill out the sheet, and you leave. My PA processor, people hang out there. They grill FREE burgers and hot dogs and soda. It's like a party with everyone hanging out to see what comes in and every deer goes on the scale for everyone to see. I included a pic of the processor party also lol. Good luck to everyone in NY. I'll be back in 7J this weekend. IMG_3890.thumb.JPG.a57190fe43f5f9e690c99IMG_3891.thumb.JPG.46dd3eac50906ac77bf5c

• Like 13

Live from JFK airport. Heading back to WNY tonight, looking forward to starting my late season public land hunting tomorrow. Probably won't be in the woods early, but I'll make it in before noon. Glad to see posts with folks still seeing and taking deer !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CanastotaCamo said:

Well boys and girls... I know this is our NY thread, but I got it done in southwestern PA today for opening day. I wanted to share because you are my NY hunting family. Also, I shared previously about my old processor in PA. In NY, I take the deer, they fill out the sheet, and you leave. My PA processor, people hang out there. They grill FREE burgers and hot dogs and soda. It's like a party with everyone hanging out to see what comes in and every deer goes on the scale for everyone to see. I included a pic of the processor party also lol. Good luck to everyone in NY. I'll be back in 7J this weekend. IMG_3890.JPGIMG_3891.JPG

Which part of SW PA?  I'm from Canonsburg, but hunt out around claysville.  Didn't make it this year, unfortunately ( 9 month olds have a tendancy to change your life).  Really missed it, sitting in Pike County today and not seeing anything didn't help matters much.

This past weekend only buck harvested in my group was by a rookie who never even hunted before & didn't even own a gun. He shot a nice buck @ 200 yards with a 243. He actually thought he missed... lol

Not bad for 1st timer. The next day he even saw a yote @ 30 yards and missed.

lucky SOB!

meanwhile my son & I saw zip.

saturday & Sunday - 4F - weather just a bit challenging, to say the least.

• Like 1