burmjohn

LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

And car is a beautiful sight. My dad came out to brothers so they both saw my deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CONGRATS ! ! !

• Like 1

Kicked up a doe and fawn while checking cam at the end of day after legal light.  I did get a chance to see a crazy buck at the taxidermist on my way home though while picking up my lower jaw bones.  Crazy buck!  And I was told it was taken last night not too far from where I was this afternoon.  So there is hope for getting a buck this time of year.  Turkey feathers is an example.  They're out there.  

• Like 1

Do you de-bone it? I never leave bone in any venison..I also use a very sharp filet knife and trim heavily.

neck bones are

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Heard a gun shot really close. So close my ears are ringing. Hey. That was me ! 604705c834ece8bdf76a34fbcfc96d51.jpg

Love it when a plan comes together!

In two seasons the only deer I have seen were the ones I helped my buddies to drag out. :taunt:. But today, I finally had a deer in the scope!  Fast mover from left to right and behind a mess of thick cover.  When it hit a clear spot, I could see it was just a small doe or BB so I gave it a pass.  Try again tomorrow!

20161206_143327.jpg

• Like 5

3S: on the Taconic tonight around 730pm near FDR Park in Yorktown in the pouring rain/wet snow, I saw a nice 6 pointer chasing hard just off the shoulder.

• Like 3

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Haven't been out due to family and new work obligations. Bow hunted 4x and this was my first reg season sit today. So thankful to put meat in the freezer! Usually out 40+ days per season.
99d2fdcfc172bb17b53c1ffee9acf780.jpg

• Like 22

You shot a doe wearing an orange leash ?Shame on you. Congrats !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

3 hours ago, Rockspek said:

Kicked up a doe and fawn while checking cam at the end of day after legal light.  I did get a chance to see a crazy buck at the taxidermist on my way home though while picking up my lower jaw bones.  Crazy buck!  And I was told it was taken last night not too far from where I was this afternoon.  So there is hope for getting a buck this time of year.  Turkey feathers is an example.  They're out there.  

Did it look like this? We may use the same taxidermist.

20161206_145234.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 3

"I'm not from New York. I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"

"It's not a passion. It's an obsession!!!" - Mossy Oak

Watched a decent 8 dogging a doe on my way into work tonight. About 10pm and snowing and he was running her down hard. Actually chased her head on at my truck for a second then turned and ran parallel to the road in the ditch right on her butt. Nice to see some action still going on!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Did it look like this? We may use the same taxidermist.

20161206_145234.jpg

LOL, You may be my taxidermist.  Seriously tho like I said yesterday, I'm glad you are getting to work on that monster.  Judging on your previous work I know you'll do a great job on it.  

ps. don't forget about mine being there too tho, and next year when you're all famous from it don't forget me when I bring in another normal not freak of nature to get mounted lol

So Turkeyfeathers and malletz fulfilled the challenge for yesterday with a buck and a doe.  Tho I'm waiting to read stories in the harvest thread.  Who's on it for today?  I again will be out for a short bit this morning and then will try to make it out in the afternoon depending on what happens at work today.  We had 3-5 inches of fresh snow here supposedly so I'm excited to be able to see the deer better.  

Well Rockspeck,afyer seeing the bucks yesterday I won't be able to stay out of the woods today. See if I find them again,or something bigger even. I would like to post a harvest,but we will see..

• Like 1

Two shots? People are nuts,I can't see 30 yds here.
Good luck today Buckmaster,and I hope those shots were not on your property.

No they weren't on my property

• Like 1