LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Well, I had a small adventure in the woods this evening. Very fruitful. So I decided to snake my way to a stand I have only sat once. It is toward the bottom left hand corner of the woods from the house. Not too far from a main road, and so for this reason I never feel overly enthusiastic due to traffic noise. Anyway, I wanted to give other stands a rest so I left at 4:30 for a short sit. I was about to turn and head for a different stand on the way there, but saw some disturbance in the leaf litter and so decided to continue on to the original spot. On the way I found 2 large and active scrapes, close together but under two separate beech trees. I stopped and examined the hoof marks. Someone had been real busy. Movement caught my eye, I looked and saw a Buck, decent body, medium rack, probably the 2 year old who has taken up residence. He hadn't seen me and went on about his business, rubbing up another tree. I decided to quietly make my way to a different stand, close by. The plan was to rattle him back for a better look. A few rattles and doe bleats failed to produce results. I waited awhile to be sure he wasn't sneaking in, then I went to grab a camera from another corner to put over these newly discovered scrapes. It has been years since this side of the woods had seen such action. As luck would have it, the camera was dead. I had to sneak back to the house, reload and get the thing back over the scrape before dark. I did not want to miss any action over it.

I hung the camera and decided to stalk my way into the area where I last saw the buck. There was a lot of ground disturbance. I kept following it. Then the biggest doe I ever saw came into view. She seemed to be passing me by but then turned in my direction. I tried to shift behind a tree but cracked a stick under foot. She stopped, looked and then started toward me. I hunkered down in the hopes of not being spotted but as she came up the ridge toward me she wheezed at my shape and danced off a ways. I was downwind, so she came round behind me for another look. She really wanted to get the measure of me. I honestly have never seen a doe as big as she was. Put some horns on her and she would have made a nice 2.5 year old buck. I eventually got up and decided to continue scouting all the way into the far corner by the road. I found 2 enormous community scrapes. So tomorrow I need to get a cam over it and move a stand into the general area. All in all, a fun night in the woods!

Edited by Papist
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, ....rob said:

Been sick since early Monday morning, started to feel a little better today, but didn't go out. I should have! The next few days weather is looking like crap. People saying snow, but, weather here is saying sleet and rain. Would love a little snow, but they can keep the sleet!

You being sick does no belong in this topic. 

• Like 1

Went back out this afternoon and didn't see any from the stand. Jumped three different does in two locations on the way out. My daughter called a little while ago and said a buck ran in to the side of her car on the way home from work and smashed it all up. GO FIGURE

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

Went back out this afternoon and didn't see any from the stand. Jumped three different does in two locations on the way out. My daughter called a little while ago and said a buck ran in to the side of her car on the way home from work and smashed it all up. GO FIGURE

Sounds like she's ok glad to hear that hope it's not to bad

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Not sure why this is making me quote turkeyfeathers....tonight was a bust for me....4 guys on lease for evening sit...3 of us saw nothing and one guy saw 8...way more than his fair share....going to have to have a lease meeting about that

Edited by ApexerER

ADK.....This ain't my first rodeo. I don't comment on things I do not know about.
Please read the following partial article:
Deer Scrapes & Rubs - Reading Deer Sign Part 2
Part II of our series of three articles regarding how to read deer sign, focuses on "scrapes & rubs." Deer "scrape" the ground with their hooves- - and at times will do so with their antlers. The scrapes will range from the size of a dinner plate to that of a child's portable swimming pool. Put money on the fact that if you find a swimming pool sized scrape, you've either got one huge trophy buck, or it's a "community scrape," where all the deer are together. That type of community scrape usually means younger, or immature bucks. A mature buck will normally stay to himself and scrape distinct areas to announce his presence and mark his territory.   I have seen it MANY times over the years

Congrats on your many rodeos. Not sure if your trying to say I shouldn't comment because you think I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm not getting into that pissing match.

Regardless of what article you wanna pick off google, your not going to see antler marks in scrapes in NY as often as you would in states with many more mature big bucks. Your local 1.5 and 2.5 old deer in NY probably won't even master scrape making before being plugged by the local shotgunner. Not saying it's not possible or that they defiantly don't do it now and then, but I've been doing this quite awhile myself and still haven't seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADK SAID:   Congrats on your many rodeos. Not sure if your trying to say I shouldn't comment because you think I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm not getting into that pissing match

Didn't say I wanted a pissin contest. I have seen it a number of times... in fact at least once a year in my area. The whole point of my post in cased you missed it was finding scrapes (4 in a row) with antler marks in the dirt without a overhead branch of any kind. THAT is something I have never seen.  I have put a camera out to try to see what is going on and if I find anything out I will post for all members. Other than that I will not be discussing this again. Sorry you haven't seen it.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

Just got home while ago, was helping my buddy Don try to find 8 point he shot earlier at my sister's property in 9a. He text me around 5 pm to tell me a spike and a button were headed toward my area, keep my eyes open. About 15 minutes later I got another text saying he just shot 8 point and it was running my way also. I looked and listened but nothing towards me. After waiting what seemed forever, he text and said he was going go down and check spot he shot it. That's where he found half broken arrow with pin drop size blood at the break point on arrow. He said he shot lil high on shoulder but said it was solid hit. We did a search but didn't see any blood or hair and said when it ran off the tail was tucked down. Going go back out in morning with daylight and do thorough search see if we can find it. He said it would have been biggest deer yet with a bow.

1026161857.jpg

• Like 1

Just got home while ago, was helping my buddy Don try to find 8 point he shot earlier at my sister's property in 9a. He text me around 5 pm to tell me a spike and a button were headed toward my area, keep my eyes open. About 15 minutes later I got another text saying he just shot 8 point and it was running my way also. I looked and listened but nothing towards me. After waiting what seemed forever, he text and said he was going go down and check spot he shot it. That's where he found half broken arrow with pin drop size blood at the break point on arrow. He said he shot lil high on shoulder but said it was solid hit. We did a search but didn't see any blood or hair and said when it ran off the tail was tucked down. Going go back out in morning with daylight and do thorough search see if we can find it. He said it would have been biggest deer yet with a bow.
1026161857.jpg

Hope you find em.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1026161857.jpg

Best of luck! Hopefully he got enough penetration to get into the good stuff!

Maybe I'm the only one but I have shot my share of bucks in my life and I have never once counted points before shooting one. The second I see them I decide if it's a shooter or not then I'm trying to kill him. I have always found it funny how people can always tell you how many points the buck had when they wound it miss them.

Not knocking on your buddy at all and as I said I hope for a quick recovery just curious on others opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2