Shooting a bow standing or sitting from stand?

Deadhunter25

Im wondering whats your guys preferred method for archery hunting. I have never shot a deer in the standing position before as I feel its extra movement I dont want to make.

Long story short, yesterday in CT I missed a beautiful buck because my new bows (3"in longer than the old one) cam hit my knee after the release and the arrow went under him. Im beginning to think standing may be the way to go.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

what ever way you are going to do it, you need to practice...   If you are going to sit, practice sitting and shooting from an elevated position, where the clothes you plan to wear in the field.   You learned the hard way that you do not want to learn on the fly when the chance of a good buck presents itself (those opportunities do not come often enough)..

I mostly hunt from natural ground blinds now. And have milk crates in them all. So I always have the majority of practice time, sitting on a milk crate. Even when tree stand hunting, I've always shot from a sitting position when I could. Two reasons, one like you stated, it keeps movement to a minimum, essential in ground blind hunting. Two, I seem to be able to hold more steady from a sitting position. I always have my knees to the right to have plenty of room for the bow, right handed. And have spent countless hours perfecting the form needed to shoot from a sitting position. 

• Like 2

I prefer sitting if I am shooting to my left or straight out in front . If there is a shot to my right , I need to stand so I have clearance for my elbow in order not to bump the tree with my elbow . 

I have a 10' high tree stand in my back yard that I practice from . I have to stand if shooting 30 yards as I have a cable that goes from a large tree o a post that my bug zapper is on . 

How could you achieve proper back tension while sitting if you were in tree?  First off you need to bend at the waist in order to keep your form proper. If you can do so n still keep it all together so be it but practice. Most guys would drop one arm n not remain square so watch for that

Edited by Bowguy 1

14 hours ago, Bowguy 1 said:

How could you achieve proper back tension while sitting if you were in tree?  First off you need to bend at the waist in order to keep your form proper. If you can do so n still keep it all together so be it but practice. Most guys would drop one arm n not remain square so watch for that

When sitting you pretty much have no other choice but to bend at the waist, it naturally forces you to do so, where standing you can drop the arm in aiming.  Your sitting, you have to lean forward and bend at the waist to get bow and string clearance.  Its my prefered method and unless a deer is off to my right the I rarely ever stand.

• Like 2

Out of any treestand I have used , I prefer to shoot standing. My reasons being: much more shot angles, directions, less obstructions in the way, stand/rail/tree. If your afraid of heights, sitting is more calming on your nerves. My cousin would only hunt out of ladder stands, and would only shoot while he was sitting due to his fear of heights?

I always shoot standing because all my stands have shooting rails. I like having the rail there because it makes me feel safer but the compromise is that you cant shoot sitting down, which means you have to stand up quietly and without being seen. it's a give and take but I've never been busted trying to stand up. I usually get busted when the wind suddenly changes direction

2 hours ago, maytom said:

Out of any treestand I have used , I prefer to shoot standing. My reasons being: much more shot angles, directions, less obstructions in the way, stand/rail/tree. If your afraid of heights, sitting is more calming on your nerves. My cousin would only hunt out of ladder stands, and would only shoot while he was sitting due to his fear of heights?

I prefer to shoot while sitting and it has nothing to do with fear of heights . If I am already standing in the tree stand I would shoot that way but if I am sitting , I will not stand up to shoot . Less movement is better . 

I have a stand in the Pittsford-Mendon area that has a wooden rail with burlap camo on it and I have no choice but to stand to shoot . But , I discovered that I have to have my bow out and over the railing to shoot . I have been lucky that I havn't been busted by the deer but the stand is about 18' high and blends in well . 

For me it all depends on the stand. Certain stands I can sit and shoot in and others it's better to stand. I always try to shoot sitting down if possible though. I can get a much more stable shot that way. Especially when my adrenaline is pumping. But I can shoot standing up if I have to no problem. I even get down my knees in ground blinds if need be. Ive always practiced shooting in different positions so I'm ready for anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, wdswtr said:

When sitting you pretty much have no other choice but to bend at the waist, it naturally forces you to do so, where standing you can drop the arm in aiming.  Your sitting, you have to lean forward and bend at the waist to get bow and string clearance.  Its my prefered method and unless a deer is off to my right the I rarely ever stand.

You're doing it right but many still both standing n sitting don't bend at waist

I wouldn't have a problem with shooting a deer while sitting. I haven't done it yet thought. I started bow hunting a couple of years ago and did at least half of my practice while sitting because that is what I figured I would be doing in a tree stand. So far I have shot 3 deer with my bow and they have all been shots and angles that I couldn't have achieved while sitting.

6 hours ago, Big John said:

I can do either, my climber was a bit low when seated so I made a seat for it to keep me up during bow season.

11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpgnice seat... i ordered a sling seat for mine for the same reason, can shoot standing or sitting with the higher seat... i like options... thats a sweet design hows the weight?

both.... depends on how everything unfolds when the deer comes in.  just shot in a championship 3D match.  two targets I shot from my knees.  two others I shot while sitting on a bench that was facing the targets, while a guy shook the bench, and another guy revved a UTV next to it.

On 9/18/2016 at 10:15 AM, Deadhunter25 said:

se my new bows (3"in longer than the old one) cam hit my knee after the release and the arrow went under him. Im beginning to think standing may be the way to go.

Happened to me first time I shot from a stand. The string got caught on part of the stand.

I practice standing, so IMO I want to stand whenever possible. I can only realistically shot from a stand to the left anyway. 

I typically stand up when I'm in stand. I sit when it's dark out before sunrise and every so often for a few minutes after standing for long periods. I think it helps keep me more alert and ready. I have shot deer sitting and kneeling though. Best thing to do is practice from the types of positions you may encounter from your hunting stand or blind.