Just learned that .223 is legal

Borngeechee

I grew up hunting in PA. I knew a few women and kids that used .220 Swifts and .222's for deer. The bloodtrails that I saw from them were bloodbaths, believe it or not! Never went far!

Granted, there are bigger calibers (and better choices) out there, but the .220's and .222's got the job done, for a quick clean kill.

Edited by Cabin Fever

I plan on using the round this year.

This thread will absolutely incite criticisms, but the fact is the round is legal, it's been used to harvest thousands of deer, and though not comparing apples to apples, a 223 has 20X the kinetic energy of an arrow, which many of us hunt with. 

I will say I've looked in many stores, have a multitude of different rounds now to practice with, but they are either the standard FMJ stuff, varmint rounds, or target. I've not found any that seem ideal for hunting...? I guess I've not looked into it enough but hoping for a round that doesn't "explode" when it hits the target.

Edited by Core

2 hours ago, Borngeechee said:

After learning this in another post, I did a little reading. It seems that a lot of people have had a lot of success with 60 grain Nosler partition rounds as well as some Barnes rounds. Have any of you guys hunted and harvested deer with a .223?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Gee, I wonder who you got that from. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

This thread will absolutely incite criticisms, but the fact is the round is legal, it's been used to harvest thousands of deer, and though not comparing apples to apples, a 223 has 20X the kinetic energy of an arrow, which many of us hunt with. 

I will say I've looked in many stores, have a multitude of different rounds now to practice with, but they are either the standard FMJ stuff, varmint rounds, or target. I've not found any that seem ideal for hunting...? I guess I've not looked into it enough but hoping for a round that doesn't "explode" when it hits the target.

Hopefully the guys who have done it can chime in with their choice...it is the biggest part of a clean kill with a 223...find a good one

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have taken more than a few deer with a 223 using heavier bullets and they all performed with excellent results. All done with about a perfect set up as they get; great rest, relaxed animals. 

Would I push it past most Whitetails encountered here?, No, but it works.

26 minutes ago, Core said:

Bows kill by bleeding out an animal and  energy is required to pierce the skin and vitals by cutting action. Bullets kill by hydrostatic shock, that shock may disrupt blood vessels, deflate lungs, disrupt CNS, etc; and you get mechanically striking the same.

Federal makes a 60 gr Partition load, may have to look around for it.

I'd also try a TSX or TTSX but not sure who loads them factory. 

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3

Hopefully the guys who have done it can chime in with their choice...it is the biggest part of a clean kill with a 223...find a good one

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

From everything that I've read, the 60 grain nosler partitions are the way to go.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Borngeechee said:

After learning this in another post, I did a little reading. It seems that a lot of people have had a lot of success with 60 grain Nosler partition rounds as well as some Barnes rounds. Have any of you guys hunted and harvested deer with a .223?

My cousin has killed  a few dear with a .223 

All from know more then 75 yards away .

I personlly like heaver bullets for dear hunting  if you want to use something like miltary syle gun im guesing that is what you wanting to use .308 or  62x39 ammo with 150 grain soft point  are a,good choice  but if your not going to be hunting long range .223 is fine I guess 

25 minutes ago, LJC said:

My cousin has killed  a few dear with a .223 

All from know more then 75 yards away .

I personlly like heaver bullets for dear hunting  if you want to use something like miltary syle gun im guesing that is what you wanting to use .308 or  62x39 ammo with 150 grain soft point  are a,good choice  but if your not going to be hunting long range .223 is fine I guess 

Pics?

If you want to use a .223 on deer, you should really bone up on the ballistics, especially the energy it has, or doesn't have, at longer range.  The round's effectiveness on deer is very much affected by the bullet it spews out the muzzle.  I would say the Partition is an OK choice, but I'd rather shoot a Barnes TSX if I was shooting a whitetail.  You need ALL of the weight the bullet has to get good penetration with any shot over 200 yards.  You also need reliable expansion.  I think at close range the Partition might lose all of it's front section on impact, leaving only 50% or less of it's original weight to penetrate to anything vital.

21 minutes ago, ....rob said:

So, you only have the web to make your point? 

Ok have it your way it can't be done lol yea the web for some can be bad source of info so here is a tip 

if you want to know what's good for what get the  book  cartridges of the world  yea before there was this thing the internet we had these  things called books amazing  technology  no battery's needed you should try one out sometime :taunt:

I have seen quite a few deer taken with the 223. The farmer, who's land I hunt in Allegheny County, kills bucks every year with his H&R single shot 223. And he uses the cheapest ammo he can find. He nailed a nice 8 pt. that was sniffing out a doe, last season. One shot through the ribs in an open field, about 80yds. The buck went maybe 30 yds and piled up.

I don't have the ball$$ to try it tho..

1 hour ago, ants said:

I have seen quite a few deer taken with the 223. The farmer, who's land I hunt in Allegheny County, kills bucks every year with his H&R single shot 223. And he uses the cheapest ammo he can find. He nailed a nice 8 pt. that was sniffing out a doe, last season. One shot through the ribs in an open field, about 80yds. The buck went maybe 30 yds and piled up.

I don't have the ball$$ to try it tho..

If im not mistaken farmers can  get special permits to  kill deer with 22 lr at close range at least that's what   I heard . So obviously. 223 will kill a deer .

But why not us something more powerfull and make sure you get a fast kill  that is  what you have to think about .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Borngeechee said:

Just to let you know The .223 was designed to wound, not kill. 

On the battlefield the idea was you  hurt one guy 2 others got to stop fighting you to help him out   same concept with  laND mines .

Also smaller bullets means a Soldier can carry more ammo .