Fletch's Tall Tined Tales 2016

Fletch

The season is rushing up on us. This summer has been so hot I am behind on my "to do" list but looking at the weather coming up I will be doing it mid day during October when it's 80 out.

The plan this season is to get one early for me and stay away from the southern half of my property which I am saving for my sons' first deer hunts on youth weekend and then he will hunt crossbow last two weeks of bow. I want him to get some experience with those first before he goes compound. I am really excited he is old enough to deer hunt!

Right now it looks like I may have lost my neighbors property which really hurts. So my season may end up a bit more public this year. And the look for a lease or land moved up a notch.

I've got no special hunts planned. I did not draw Vermont moose yet and we have been collecting preference points to do the GA gator hunt next year.

My son and I got a real short trip out up in the Cedar River Flow this weekend to scout out a possible tent camp for deer. Soccer really limited our choices so we left Sat afternoon and drove 3+ hours, canoed maybe 2 miles.
f073bc7363387747574597ef347ed388.jpg

We have never been here so I had a primitive site in mind off the map that we located and set up camp in a light rain. It was not much of a site but we were low on time and unfamiliar with the area.

ce26a3fd41de8ae12fccd966f57d61df.jpg

a5a2f02804e126fffdf77aae76cd7692.jpg

It did stop to enjoy dinner and a fire for a while. We hit the sack and it rained all night. It let up in the am and the woods around the site were just too thick. We decided to eat, pack up and explore. A ways down we found a perfect site on a point and hiked/ scouted for a couple hours and saw some nice country. We then canoed explored some more before heading out. I think we canoed 4-5 miles.

a601d475bf72df5b7e22b746a3eb5ef8.jpg

02475fdc5d61c7e39530323df9d54da8.jpg

2b2307c7a995e4dfb60d16348a4128c8.jpg
homemade smoked Canadian bacon and eggs
8d62ef323b3dbb85b43cdfa5f39a641c.jpg
Bald Eagle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we are the night before the bow opener. Man it snuck up quick! I am all ready to go, coffee timer, thegear packed, broadheads sharp..... Now just got to get used to getting up before 8/9am! Good luck out there!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

looks like a nice adventure.  youth weekend coming up!  Good luck to you and your son.  don't burn out that one outer hole stand either if you can help it.  continuously bumping deer and then not seeing anything on stand is reason to change things up I'd think.

10/7 am 51

Down in the inner hole stand for a short sit of 1.5 hours. Had a wake to get to. Absolutely nothing again. I did pull the cam card on my way out and the scrape I doctored Sunday had 5 different bucks hit it in the last 5 days. I had 3 together in front of it right before end of legal last night, one a decent 8 point. The times and dates are all meesed up on this cam, it has water damage and I can't change the settings anymore.

c6e7878fc06281a7b9d4ff39ed85b0ed.jpg

52917bfc53ffc246b7fcbbc9d6cb7f01.jpg

Edited by Fletch

10/8 59 am

Son and I set up out behind the house well before light. Man I had to haul a lot of extra stuff lol. Extra food and clothes. A thermos of hot chocolate for him......

Anyhow the weather was warm and rained all morning. We stayed dry in the blind but the mosquitos where plentiful!! We sat until 10:30 with no action. We will be back out in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck out there with your boy on the youth hunt.   I like your plan of getting him some experience with the gun and crossbow before the compound.   That is what I plan with my daughters in a couple years, if they are willing.   They are still in middle school and have been shooting well on targets with their bb guns.  They both play field hockey now and have expressed some interest in joining the rifle team when they get to high school.   One thing is certain, they both love eating venison, which puts some pressure on me to produce.   It will be great when they can help me get it, not just eat it.  They just finished off our last package of grind (they like that the best), leaving us with only about 30 pounds of roasts and chops in the freezer.  Hopefully, I can start to re-stock during a 9-day, Adirondack ML and rifle hunt, beginning next weekend.