Fletch's Tall Tined Tales 2016

Fletch

0faa9ced842635c2fea5f6f04a87cb34.jpg

My bro's buck 2.5 years old. He must have been hit by a car at some point. He had a broken bone in his pelvis. Also some road rash on brisket. He was not limping and seemed otherwise healthy. The toughness of these critters never ceases to amaze me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

11/13 pm 57

Out on the ridge above the hole in my bro's stand for 2 hours. It was warm and a squirrel party! Did have one flat come out right at sunset no shot op. Did keep me in stand for a while so I could get out without spooking it on the potato chip leaves.

11/14

Spent the better part of the day getting a couple brush blind sets in place for Sat.

Did get out in the tower with my son for the last hours. 57 out pretty warm and no action.

Pulled the card and a doe went through at 1:30 the a buck on her trail at 2:39 then another buck on her trail at 5:30.

11/16 am 44

Sat 2 hours in my brothers stand up above the hole. Saw one right at sunrise behind me. Looked like a small doe she stayed outa range. At 8:30 I had a buttonn come in by me at 20 yards. He wandered around for a while. It was a nice morning besides the squirrels which were all over. Not much time left of bow.

11/17 pm 54

Out in the tower with my son for 1.5 hours. Nada, the woods have been so quiet last few sits. No wind, no noise....

Off tomorrow to get one last shot at a doe. Maybe cause get my son out in afternoon as well.

• Like 1

11/18 am 32

Up above the hole in my brothers stand again. The moon was so bright walking in didn't even take out my flashlight. Had a fox or yote go by me before light. Never saw it just heard it. 7:20 had a spike come by at 40 yards. Sat for 2.5 hours then convinced myself to go put up a double ladder stand.

11/19 and 11/20

So we hunted Howland Island WMA opening day. Lots of shooting around and everyone at least saw deer. My son and I saw two after a guy down a ways from us shot at them. They came by to far out and fast to have any shot. My brother saw three and missed one. My brother in law and nephew who were together as well saw 3 and my nephew got a button. The temp went up to 68 early afternoon. We did see a gorgeous red coyote on last watch but I did not want to screw up the deer hunt. I should have let him shoot it and made a pelt for him.

Sunday My son and I were in Heighburg outside of Tully in 3-4 inches of snow, 28 degrees and some nasty wind. We were on watch for about 2 hours and my BIL and nephew pushed the orchard to us. They kicked up multiple deer. Two snuck out behind us and by the time we saw them not a chance. Close but no cigar. We did a few hours of walking and it was miserable out. Alone I woulda got into some more thick deep place but the little guy was not enjoying it so we pulled the plug around 1pm. Watched football and cut up the button last night. We did see a fisher in the am. It came to within 20 feet of us. Very cool.

Not a glorious start and we now have over a foot of snow on the ground and still coming. 3 foot drifts and 20-30 mph winds.

Edited by Fletch

Time for a little update on my bow season.

My hours on stand during legal light was down a bit at 95.5 hours. I got out at least for a sit 35 days.

I saw 12 bucks all 1.5 year olds and 17 flatheads of which not one over 60 pounds offered me a shot.

That come to a buck sighting for every 8 hours on stand and any deer every 3.3 hours on stand.

I would say the buck rate was fairly average but lacking in that I usually at least see an older buck or few. The overall rate was low, my doe population scares me right now. Multiple sightings were the same doe and button.

I did take a young buck so that made the season successful. I also shared a lot of time crossbow hunting with my son which was awesome. I just wish we could have gotten him one. He has gun season yet.

• Like 2

Thanks Zem!

A bit of an update as I sit in stand with nothing going on lol.

Got out a few times behind the house during the week. Wednesday we hit end of legal and took to steps and one was coming over ridge right at us. If we had got up in tower woulda had a shot in light. We were late so chose not to.

Turkey day we slept in. We got out after dinner and we're late because the boy could not miss pie! That put us back 45 min. When we came over the crest to tower a deer was right beside it and busted us.
The next morning sat for 3 hours. He got cold so he went to house. I went to walk to far line to check tracks. I go 200 yards and walk into two bedded. I coulda shot the one at 80 but small. I think the doe and button again.

Sat in State in Tully did 5 miles+ no sighting. Home for last watch nothing.

This morn the youngster wouldn't get outa warm bed so I'm out in the far stand out back. There are tracks from night every day no day movement. Quite a few shots off in distance but nothing real close. I miss bow season lol.

11/27

Had one fresh track just before house that was not there when I went in.

The son and I sat the outer hole stand tonight. Nada. My Bil was out here yesterday and said there was a gut pile out across from that stand from opening weekend. Someone from the other side musta got one.

Hunted 12/5 out back in the far stand am and pm. Had 2 inches fresh snow in the am and went up to 41 by 10 so it melted pretty good but still had a covering on ground in the evening. Around 4 pm had a nice buck work up from my rear right. Had no good shots as he worked towards my front following the top of a slight drop down. I found a shooting lane with a little opening around 90 yards out I felt good with. He went behind a tree right before it and I'm looking through scope waiting for head then shoulder and I get left ham and ass. He decided to turn down right before he cleared the hole. Oh my! 2 more steps! I'm in shotgun zone so my range has limitations. I maybe woulda been better off with the TC Triumph 50 but second guessing is easy and I had the slugger. Also bumped one by the tower coming out. So close!

• Like 1

Hunted next 4 days since Monday for at least a 2 hour watch each day out back and no deer sighted.

Saturday morn hit the outer hole stand in am saw nothing but 1 hunter. Got down and followed some tracks around for a good hour. Then drove home and took a walk out back. Got busted by one at noon that was just out browsing. The snow was not too quiet so she musta heard me. I caught the fresh tracks walking then running so I knew were she headed. I put her up but was not a good shot near the houses. She was good sized.

Last watch Saturday 12/10 flipping cold!
Out in the tower blind out back for 2 hours. Just after 4 I peaked out the back window and saw one about 50 yards out crossing. I got the ML on it but it was a little one. Then another came out and just offered too good of a shot. The Triumph dropped her in her tracks.

I was bummed that my son was not with me tonight due to a soccer game to get a shot but he is happy to have another heart to fry up! She is a 1.5 year old so not huge but will sure make the freezer look better with tasty cuts!
Maybe we can get a shot at another tomorrow for the boy!