Fletch's Tall Tined Tales 2016

Fletch

I have no idea what Blue is but he did say she was nice as well as what the heck broadhead I hit her with! Rage.

Blue is the state their fur is in before prime. Literally when skinned has a blue tint to underside of fur. If he said nice I have no doubt she was filling in. Sure is a pretty girl....

Someday I'll get to shoot 1....trapped them but never gotten to shoot one. Nice and congrats on the long shot

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11/4 am 42

Out back in the far stand for 3.5 hours. Pretty slow. At 9am I did have a 1.5 yo 4 pointer come right in to me. He peed in scrape but really did not work it. He was just cruising alond browsing and with the wind at his back.

11/5 am 44

Out in the tower with my son who was using the crossbow. We had one out in front of us just a bit before 8am. He was up the hill and he busted us moving. We were switching seats to get my son into position and I did not think he could see us. I was not correct on that. Did check the new cam and a nice buck went by at 3am also a couple more yotes.

11/6/16 am 43

4 hours inthe far stand and not a friggi thing. Did pull card and had a nice 9 hit the scrape an hour after dark a couple nights ago, Pulled the cam off the tower and had a 1.5 yr old walt right by at 5:30 last night. My son and I had other obligations so we were not there....

Edited by Fletch

11/7 am 29

Down in the deep hole stand for 2.5 hours. Cold, frost and crunchy leaves. Did not see a thing. Scrapes had been hit but not real fresh. One had a big print in it. My crap cam that misses most pictures had a 4 and a 6 and some turkeys on it. I got a new Browning Cam coming Tuesday so I will replace that Covert junk. I replaced the one by the tower with a new Moultrie a couple days ago. I am trying some different brands with good ratings to try to find a winner.

I am getting antsywith only 11 days left of bow! I don't want to leave the woods, unfortunately they expect me to work some!

11/9 am 49

Out in the far stand out back for 2.5. Did not think I could sit in it two mornings in arow and not see a deer. I was wrong! Now at 4 days- 15 hours in stand without seeing a thing. I have no does and I think the bucks are looking elsewhere. I think I will be trying some different spots next few days. Gonna have to go public land. Heck at worst I see nothing but at least get to talk to different trees!!

• Like 1

11/9 pm 47

So son gets home from school and want to get out so we sneak out to the tower with 1.5 hours of shooting time. I had to do a quick conf call from the tower with a few dirty looks from him but what ya gonna do!

I put up a window covering behind us so no more picked off from the front. About a half hour before sunset I see deer. Up the incline in front of us. Again we are in wrong seats lol. He comes to my side and sits on my knee as the deer, a doe and a button, hit the trail and turn right towards us. She turns broadside at about 20 yards and cuts towards th small field off to our right but he stays straight on right at us. I am in the way so Conner can't turn more to get a shot at her. The little one is right under us so we can't move. He finally heads after mom so we slowly get Conner moving towards the end window but they are jumpy and keep checking out the tower. They are back and forth but always one looking at us.It was so quiet tonight we had to be super careful and I am trying to whisper instructions to him. He had one op to take a freehand shot but was too shaky and not comfortable. He finally got seated and crossbow on the rail and they turned and just ass end until out of range. I should have just left him in that seat but was not sure what way they were turning. Same two that got away in youth!! This double hunting outa the tower is tough when the deer are so close and nervous.

• Like 4

11/10/16 am 30

Down in the deep hole stand. I told myself that if any non fawn deer gave me a shot today it was going down. I think I have passed 9 shots at 1.5 yr olds so far but time was getting slim and I wanted to focus on getting out with my son with the crossbow as well as getting a couple gun brush blinds ready for next weekend.

At 7:25am a young buck came in nose to the ground following a scent trail I had laid down. At 17 yards I pulled the trigger. I swore I saw the arrow hit perfect and he bounded about 15 yards then stopped for a few seconds then walked into the thick stuff. I did not hear a crash. I waited 30-40 minutes to get down. I found a gutty arrow and the blood trail did not make me thrilled. I decided to back out, I had a cam right there so I pulled card hoping it had a pic showing the hit. There were 2 pics but both just rear shots. So I came home and worked until 2 and my son and I went out. We followed a so so blood trail for 75 yards and there he was dead. He died a few seconds after the hit. The deer was more quartering to me than I thought. Went in perfect came out dirty.When we got to him there was a bunch of hair pulled off his hind quarter. We were none to soon a yote must have just found him and was going for the ham. Fortunate he did not get through the hide yet. I am a happy camper, first buck with the crossbow and first buck I have killed out of that ladder stand. I have had some bad history in that stand lol.

d3166c70fea0c283afcb18dd9474e597.jpg

• Like 8

Congrats on that deer.  The shot and his reaction after sounds nearly identical to the busted up 5-pointer (was an 8 before the rut) that I killed Sunday.   He was also quartering to me and the bolt struck behind the shoulder, exited the lower butt on the opposite side, and buried a couple inches into the dirt.   The only thing different was that I got to see him expire in an open field and did not need to wait for recovery.  When I saw him hobble off, dragging the leg, I wondered how I could have possibly hit him there because his rear was still behind the corn when I aimed behind his shoulder.  I could not imagine that was the exit wound.  The penetration of my crossbow at close range is incredible compared to my compound.    The 2-1/2 inch diameter, 3 blade mechanical broadhead really did some damage on the way through,.

I was hoping for a larger antlered buck this year with my crossbow, but as soon as I saw that the body size on this one was about 1.5 times larger than a scrawny 3 pointer that preceded him by about 10 minutes, I made up my mind to shoot if I got a good chance.  I had too much time invested in my foodplots to not reap some harvest this year.  I did the powerwasher euro on him last night and by the looks of the skull and the teeth, I am thinking he was a 2-1/2 year old.  The carcass is in the fridge and should be ready for processing by next Tuesday or so, after I get back from a northern zone rifle hunt this weekend (hopefully with a big Adirondack buck to take his spot in the fridge).   Good luck during gun season.    

• Like 1