Has anyone used a new item and feel it is helpful?

ApexerER

So first I want to say that I ask this with all due respect to the older guys on this forum that have shared a lot of great advice and whom I have learned a lot of things from. That being said, sometimes new things work. I feel like when I ask about something that is new, I always get an old school answer. Mind you, most of the answers are correct and are by no means negative, but they usually don't answer my questions. Is there something new on the market you have tried and think it is helpful? And just so you old timers know....I don't count the compound bow....lol....So, I will freely admit that I am a company that sells hunting supplies biggest friend. I fall hook line and sinker for anything and everything, especially if it is cheap. (Less than $20) With the million things I have tried the two fairly new things I like would be the scoutlook hunting app on my smart phone. (Free) I never go in the woods without looking at that. I log my deer sighting, have my stand marked, it shows wind direction so I can concentrate less on that direction while in the stand. I just feel like it is a great tool. I also want to say that I feel like evercalm is the one scent I have purchased (I think I have tried everything on the shelf) that does work. It seems like the last two season that I have used it, deer have been much more calm and not as on edge when around my stand. Now this could obviously just be working out that way, but I think it is doing something. Nothing else I have purchased has made me feel that way. I did buy an ozonics for this hunting season. I am excited to see how that works and I will let you know my findings.  While i don't think the ozonics is cheap by any means...I have been reading everything i can find about it for two years and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. (like I said, Hook, Line and Sinker) There has to be a couple of guys on here that fall for the crap like I do and may have stumbled onto something....Or does everyone put on their old red and black wool coat and pants that smells like moth balls and go out and shoot deer....

Not a new item, but you can't go wrong with a solid set of rattlin' antlers IMO.

Just read through the forums here and you'll see how deathly afraid some NY guys are of making any noise while on stand.

I don't know of anyone who hunts the properties I do that uses them except for myself. The results I've had so far are pretty amazing even to me especially during the first two weeks of archery.

• Like 2

I agree with antlers as wolly said above.

I really like a doe can. Picked another one up last season and just hit it once I get up in stand to try and cover any sound I may have made. Had a 6 pt come right in 2 min after I got up on a leash to the bleat didn't even have mask on yet. Ended up losing him unfortunately on a good shot somehow

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wooly said:

Not a new item, but you can't go wrong with a solid set of rattlin' antlers IMO.

Just read through the forums here and you'll see how deathly afraid some NY guys are of making any noise while on stand.

I don't know of anyone who hunts the properties I do that uses them except for myself. The results I've had so far are pretty amazing even to me especially during the first two weeks of archery.

Wooly, I have a rattle bag....Do you think the antlers are better? I would have thought first two weeks of archery would be to early to use it...I will try this year for sure....Thank you for the advise....

I don't think it makes a difference real or synthetic. I've used both.

Bucks are sparring and fighting out there every day soon as the velvet comes off. I'd go out on a limb and say it's probably the most common deer sound in the woods this time of year.

Although I do like to rattle randomly and blind sometimes...., my favorite time to hit the horns is when I see a buck heading away or out of range or unresponsive to a grunt call. You can watch their reaction and decide if you should keep it up, or if you need to shut it down because he's now coming your way. You'd be surprised how many don't even pay attention to it.

It doesn't work every time, but I've seen more bucks not pay any attention to it than I've seen bucks spook from it. I blame the spookers on catching my wind over fear of the sound. I've called in more bucks with antlers than any grunt call I've ever tooted on. and that's the honest to God truth.

• Like 3

I grew up using weed seeds, crunched fall leaves, and other stuff to check wind.  the talc powder puffer bottles work great and are always with me out in the field.  cheap red LED headlamps for walking in work great.  evercalm is probably the scent I've used the most.  I think it helps.  the primos buck roar style grunt calls that work with a back pressure chamber work awesome.  old style grunt tubes you'd almost pin the reed trying to reach out to a buck far away on a windy day.  I'm sure there's more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Certainly not a new item, but I always have a good realistic sounding grunt call with me! I dare say that 50+% of the bucks that I've killed during bow season, I grunted in. 

I don't bow hunt and don't own a grunt call or rattling antlers. Am I missing out during gun season or is this typically and earlier season thing. ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I don't bow hunt and don't own a grunt call or rattling antlers. Am I missing out during gun season or is this typically and earlier season thing. ?

If a deer is in the mood and you peak it's curiosity with a grunt, it'll come. MANY times, I've been sitting with no action, give a couple blind grunts out of pure boredom, and have bucks come sneaking OR running/charging in to me! The buck that I called in last year, I was thankful I was in a tree, because as aggressive as he came in, he might have either kicked my ass or had his way with me:rolleyes:  Can sure turn an uneventful hunt into a memorable one!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I use them till end of Nov at least the grunt and bleat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

If a deer is in the mood and you peak it's curiosity with a grunt, it'll come. MANY times, I've been sitting with no action, give a couple blind grunts out of pure boredom, and have bucks come sneaking OR running/charging in to me! The buck that I called in last year, I was thankful I was in a tree, because as aggressive as he came in, he might have either kicked my ass or had his way with me:rolleyes:  Can sure turn an uneventful hunt into a memorable one!

Thanks guys. Was at Cabela's  last night. Guess I'll head back. Nothing ever wrong with going there except when the wife catches the CC bill in the mail before I do

• Like 3

I have an old set of "real" rattling horns, from a 2.5 year old 7-point, that have been effective during archery season and during late ML season in the Southern zone.   I misplaced them for a few years, but found them again this summer.  While they were lost, I bought a Knight & Hale rattle bag at Walmart. I tried it about 6 times, but never had any luck with it. It did not sound quite right to me either, so I traded it to a friend for an iron frying pan two years ago.   I did like the ease of carrying that small bag compared to them bulky antlers however.  Last week, I picked up a larger, Primos rattle bag for $5.00 at a flea-market.  That one sounds more like my real antlers. That is what I will try first this season.  I used those real antlers on about a dozen hunts, bringing bucks within shooting range on 4 of them (3 during archery and 1 during ML).  

I never tried rattling during gun season in the Southern zone, but I do plan on trying it in the early ML season and the start of gun season in the Northern zone this fall (Oct 15-23).   That should be pre-rut when it has been most effective for me in the past.   I am a lot more comfortable doing it with a gun than a bow because the bucks are guaranteed to be on "high alert", greatly increasing the chances of "string jump".     

I learned that lesson the hard way the last year time I used my "real" antlers.   It was a rainy afternoon in late October and I rattled in a heavy 10 point.  He came in on full alert, with the hair standing up on the back of his neck like an angry cat.   At 25 yards, I loosed an arrow at him broadside and he dropped fast on the release, taking the hit square in the shoulder blade.   There was no penetration, nor a drop of blood on his trail.  4 weeks later, a friend harvested him with a gun, healed up pretty good, with just a nice scar over his shoulder.   The great thing about the gun is that the bullet does it's job before the shot is heard. 

I would have to be pretty hard up for venison before I would consider using rattling horns or a grunt tube during archery season again.  It is so much better when they never have a clue what hits them.   Fortunately, the Good Lord has provided plenty every year since I learned that lesson.         

Edited by wolc123
spelling correction

I won a new rattler that you strap to your leg. It is 2 pieces connected by bungee type strap. So it's a one hand operation,just pull up and rake top over bottom. Called the rattle box...I really like the sound very very close to what I hear in the woods....I also won a new buck grunted...So I'll let you know how they work...They may be the ticket early season,for as I stretched in bed getting ready to get up two buck crashed out back not far from the kennel. They then ticked ticked ticked for a while...so they are primed for some calling.

• Like 1

The first time I hunted in South Carolina, the landowner strongly suggested to bring a Thermacell. I had never heard of one before, I had always used bug spray and a headnet before that. I was pretty skeptical at first, but once I tried one, I realized they were on to something. This was 15 years ago, most folks up north now know what they are, but I still run across some older fellas who've never heard of one, and refuse to carry one in the warmer months.

• Like 1

The first time I hunted in South Carolina, the landowner strongly suggested to bring a Thermacell. I had never heard of one before, I had always used bug spray and a headnet before that. I was pretty skeptical at first, but once I tried one, I realized they were on to something. This was 15 years ago, most folks up north now know what they are, but I still run across some older fellas who've never heard of one, and refuse to carry one in the warmer months.

Very good point, having hunted down south I agree 100% the single best hunting invention in the last 20years.

A guy at work is going on a hunt to NC in a few weeks and he asked me if he needed anything like snake boots and what not I said don't worry about that crap just get 2 thermocells!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ok, since I can't help myself from buying stuff...So far it sounds like I need to replace my grunt tube with a chambered grunt tube and maybe replace my rattle bag with something else since I have yet to have it work for me and other people seem to have great luck with rattling antlers. I also need to pick up some sort of wind checker to make sure my new Ozonics is pointed in the right direction. Keep the idea's coming guys...