Remington 7600

Borngeechee

8 hours ago, Borngeechee said:

I'm trying to find the synthetic carbine but looks like everyone is sold out or maybe remington stopped making that version.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

They do still make the synthetic version. If you end up getting a wood stock one id be willing to sell you my synthetic stock if you really want synthetic. 

7 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

I have a 7600 weathermaster which is synthetic stock and stainless and it's my favorite gun however mine is ammo sensitive, have problems consistently ejecting certain brands of ammo brought it to a gunsmith and he says he can't find nothing wrong.It ejects Remington core-loks just fine so I stay with them

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

That's my all time favorite gun Remington produced. Does it have a magazine with the plastic on the bottom? 

I have the 760 and my son has the 7600. My son is 41, so I'm guessing he bought his about 20 years ago, and I got mine in 71.  We love ours and I wouldn't change a thing.  Now the only thing we had to do to ours is have an O ring replaced in the pump action tube, if I'm calling it correctly.  But if your forearm rattles you need to have that O ring replaced.  They both went early on of use, and they both have been fine ever since.  Just a tid-bit of info.

My first center fire deer rifle was and is a Rem 7600.  Growing up with the 'ole wingmaster in hand made it a natural transition.

And having all the same functions, pump, safety location and operation, etc. is nice.

That being said I do have a few dislikes.  First is the narrow butt and plastic but plate.  Causes a 30-06 to sting more than it needs to.  Would cut the stock and add a pad, but the most beautiful part of the stock is right at the butt and can't bring myself to do it.

Second, it carries wonderfully in one hand without a scope but really begs for and could use a scope.  This ruins the wonderful carry.  Darned if I do and darned if I dont. (don't think bolts are in the same situation, for me that carry awful regardless).

The older 7600 and 760 stocks were cut low with the use of open sights in mind, the newer 7600 stocks have a semi-monte carlo raised portion designed to align the eye with a scope. 

I had a 1-4 on it for quite a while, but pulled it and put on a williams peep. (also couldn't get proper eye relief with heavy clothes and not shortening the stock)  Works great around here.

Has the detachable mag. so that is a plus.

Just my observations/experience.

Edited by Jaeger

my dad bought his at Woolworth years back when he was a teenager.  it's a wood stocked gloss 30-06 7600 with black and white end caps.  he's got high rings and an old bushnell 3-9x40 scope on it.  it still is his go to gun.  I've taken quite a bit of game with it.

...only bad thing with them is I think the triggers are junk.  a lot of travel and creep.  not overly heavy though.

2 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Yup it has a black plastic cap on the bottom

I would be willing to bet that's where your problem is. The newer style mags with the plastic on the bottom are junk. If you can find the older style from a 760 or an early 7600 they might solve your problem. They're all metal. That's what I use in mine and they work flawlessly. I just keep the plastic ones as spares. 

• Like 1

I would be willing to bet that's where your problem is. The newer style mags with the plastic on the bottom are junk. If you can find the older style from a 760 or an early 7600 they might solve your problem. They're all metal. That's what I use in mine and they work flawlessly. I just keep the plastic ones as spares. 

I don't know if the mag would cause failures to eject but those plastic mags are totally junk!

I don't want to be redundant but Remington has ruined a lot over the last 10-15 years and this another to the list.

The metal mags are getting pricey! I have saw them at guns shows for north of 50$ actually I bought 2 at the last guns show I was at for 95$ but 1 was 35 rem and the other 300sav.

When you are shopping for the metal mag any short action cartridge marking will work as long as it's the same family, 243,260,7mm-08,308 all take the same clip. The mag for a 740-7400 also will work it will just not let you lock the slide forward after the clip is empty. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't know if the mag would cause failures to eject but those plastic mags are totally junk!

I don't want to be redundant but Remington has ruined a lot over the last 10-15 years and this another to the list.

The metal mags are getting pricey! I have saw them at guns shows for north of 50$ actually I bought 2 at the last guns show I was at for 95$ but 1 was 35 rem and the other 300sav.

When you are shopping for the metal mag any short action cartridge marking will work as long as it's the same family, 243,260,7mm-08,308 all take the same clip. The mag for a 740-7400 also will work it will just not let you lock the slide forward after the clip is empty. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good to know. I also have a model 750 (which they recently discontinued) with the junk mag but I have some metal 7400 mags for it. I did not know they would work in a 7600. Thank you!

The mag is all metal except for the black plastic bottom cap.

On 9/21/2016 at 9:19 PM, Rattler said:

The only thing I've ever heard about a 7600 that can be considered a drawback is mounting a scope requires locktite on the base screws, because the receiver metal is thin and they will shake loose if not properly glued tight.  Many other rifles are fine without locktite but a 7600 requires it.

Otherwise they are fine rifles if you like a pump action.

same is true for the 7400's as well.