Hunting with fmj

Chef

Now I know this is not ideal but it is legal so I'm going to bring it up. As I have mentioned before I bought a m1 Garand this year, and think it would be a blast to take it out and shoot a deer. Here is my one concern. I can't find soft pointed ammo for it. Everything I read says don't put modern ammo through the gun it will break the op rod. Of course they don't make mil spec soft pointed ammo. Being that I don't reload I was thinking about using a fmj and putting it through the front shoulder. Being that this gun is a 30-06 it should have more then enough knockdown power even with the fmj. What are everyone's thoughts..... I would also like to use my m1 carbine, that I do have soft points for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you must use FMJ, I fear the only shot you have at humanely taking it down is ....... a headshot.

That's why I thought through both shoulders of both front shoulders are broken it's not going any where. And it would be so cool to take a deer with that old war horse

Bad idea! All the energy in the world does nothing if it's not transferred into the target. Pointy bullets that go in pointy and come out pointy don't transfer much energy at all.

Idk have to believe this as well. But I don't see why a core lok wouldn't work...unless someone with more experience can point something out

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

How do you plan to load 5 rounds?  If I'm not mistaken, doesnt that rifle load 8 rounds?  Do you have a special en-block clip?  Also I would think that regular Remington Corelokt bullets in 30-06 would be just fine to use.

I believe you can do this with no problem . At the rifle range , each distance was shooting 10 rounds . 2 rounds were loaded with a Clip and then the other Clip with 8 rounds was inserted after the 1st 2 were shot . 

9 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I believe you can do this with no problem . At the rifle range , each distance was shooting 10 rounds . 2 rounds were loaded with a Clip and then the other Clip with 8 rounds was inserted after the 1st 2 were shot . 

Ok, I didnt know that...On a side note, I found 5 round en-block clips for sale at Brownells.  I wonder if a strict DEC officer would have issues with a standard clip even if only loaded with 5?

9 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Now I know this is not ideal but it is legal so I'm going to bring it up. As I have mentioned before I bought a m1 Garand this year, and think it would be a blast to take it out and shoot a deer. Here is my one concern. I can't find soft pointed ammo for it. Everything I read says don't put modern ammo through the gun it will break the op rod. Of course they don't make mil spec soft pointed ammo. Being that I don't reload I was thinking about using a fmj and putting it through the front shoulder. Being that this gun is a 30-06 it should have more then enough knockdown power even with the fmj. What are everyone's thoughts..... I would also like to use my m1 carbine, that I do have soft points for

If it is 30-06 why can't you use soft point 30-06 rounds?

How about using a reduced recoil round? They are factory made now and I would bet are under any mil spec pressures. 

The only caveat is that it could be too reduced to operate the action. would give you a solid 200 yard gun with little iPOI difference at 100 compared ot standard rounds.  

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Frankly, I think you said it.  It would be cool or something to that effect to shoot a deer with an old war horse.

And if you had proper ammo, it would be possible.

But if all you have are fmj's it is, in my opinion , a stunt with no or little regard for the animal.

All of the above assumes nothing goes wrong and you put the bullet accurately.  That is not realistic.  Things can and do go wrong.  Even with soft points but, as stated above, fmj's transfer very little energy.  Softpoints do and cause trauma.

Poking a tiny hole in an animal simply because it would be cool is not, in my opinton, ethical or responsible.

Others opinions may differ.

57 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Guess you didn't really read the post it is a old rifle and modern ammo my damage the gun

I must have missed it was an older gun...not sure how I did. You know anyone that reloads? Have someone reload you some hunting rounds or buy yourself a setup. It isn't too hard and I consider it fun to be able to experiment with bullets you can't buy over of the counter. Did you have intentions of using this for hunting? I was thinking if you shoot a lighter bullet you might be okay but I don't own one.

12 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Great I idea ,why stop there if you want to go full on military hardware on your deer   just use a RPG :)

12 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Great I idea ,why stop there if you want to go full on military hardware on your deer   just use a RPG :)

25 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I can't find it any where in ny in a store and can't get shipped to the house any more

Midway won't ship? Is their a Bass pro or Cabelas near you. ship to a store is usually free and solves that

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

6 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

That's why I thought through both shoulders of both front shoulders are broken it's not going any where. And it would be so cool to take a deer with that old war horse

So the deer lays there with two broken shoulders until you walk up to it and properly dispatch it?  Doesn't sound that humane.