One way or the other the meat has to get processed

Rockspek

Trying to figure out if I want to learn and start processing my own deer meat.  I was happy with my first two deer last year that I took to the processor but I'm thinking I may be able to do a better job.  But is it worth it.  Tell me what you think.  What goes into doing it yourself and what do you get out of it?  Also if there is anyone in the Canandaigua area that gets a deer and is going to process it themselves I would be interested in giving them a hand to learn and see for myself.

My .02

If you buy good equipment it's probably worth it. Also time is a major factor. I shoot most of my deer before or after work and between kids and work don't have time to butcher and still hunt so I take it to get it done. But my butcher is also top notch I imagine it would take me years to get that good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm not next door but am in Henrietta area. When we get one this bow season, if you PM me you info I would be happy to have you stop over to see the operation. The equipment is minimal for what is "needed'. I think you get a better product that is more customized to what you really want.

Basically you only NEED the following. Some way to hang it. a good sharp knife or two, a sharpening tool, a cutting board and a way to wrap it up. (plastic  wrap and freezer paper will get you through. 

As far as time, once you get to understand the process and get a couple under you belt there is no reason that the time from hanging to closing the freezer door should be over 3 hours. (depending on the cuts you want)

Let me know. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Rockspek said:

Trying to figure out if I want to learn and start processing my own deer meat.  I was happy with my first two deer last year that I took to the processor but I'm thinking I may be able to do a better job.  But is it worth it.  Tell me what you think.  What goes into doing it yourself and what do you get out of it?  Also if there is anyone in the Canandaigua area that gets a deer and is going to process it themselves I would be interested in giving them a hand to learn and see for myself.

Once you learn how to process a deer you can make your own cuts out of larger piece from different animals. I buy those big Sam's club/BJs pork loins and cut my pork chops and roast myself. Along with pork butt/shoulder for roasts. It is MUCH cheaper doing it this way and you can cut them as thick or thin you want. I like processing my deer knowing that I can do those kind of things myself. Soon I will have chickens that I will be butchering, nothing like organic chickens and eggs for a fraction of the cost. Organic grass fed beef in the store is around $10/lbs. taking your organic grass fed deer to the butch drives cost/lbs. up. 

My family eats only venison as a red meat except at restaurants because they don't sell game meats. It saves us a lot of money by not buying beef products at the store and is much healthier.

Edited by chas0218

2 hours ago, Rockspek said:

Yeah time is never on my side.  I have a vac sealer already. 

you're already better off.  you could know very little and still be ok.  know that deer fat is awful, not like beef or pork fat.  "silver skin" is the outer membrane of the muscle and is tough.  do you best and what's practical to get rid of those two and you can't go wrong. when cutting hide do it from inside out otherwise you'll get hair all over and dull your knife.  clean the knife good before cutting meat.  flexible fillet or boning knife work well to get the meat off the bone.  just pull off each "muscle" at a time.  stay away from the lymph nodes throughout a deer.  GrowingDeerTV have a good video online about where they are.  search for it.  certain muscles in the hind quarter can be turned into cubed meat or steak.  some larger portions can be roasts.  inside the carcass are thinner strips of lean meat (tenderloins) that are good anyway you make them.  top of the back along the spine on either side are the back straps and typical cut into steaks.  front shoulders and everything else are best for ground meat or slow and low cooked roasts/pulled venison.

22 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

Yeah my "steaks"from the processor looked like this. Then while eating it I would cut away the silver parts. My roasts were a few different pieces strung together that I ended up pulling apart and cutting up to make jerky. 

image.jpg

I'll tell you right now that bone in butchering SUCKS!!!! Marrow and bone frags in the meat. Once you get the process down to debone it all you will never want it any other way. 

• Like 4

Go to  "growing deer TV...look through their video archives they have GREAT videos...step by step...

Next biggest thing you have to have...good sharp knives and a great sharpener. Then if you can swing it a vacuum sealer...That will save you a bunch of freezer room and meat from freezer burn well worth the cost in bags... learn how to use your food processor and you won't need a grinder...and it can make your ground meat taste like fine ground sirloin...I NEVER grind my burger then freeze...I chunk and label it burger...then grind it in processor before cooking... 

Edited by growalot

Processing your own deer is gratifying . You need to invest in some equipment but it's like buying reloading equipment , once you have it , you're good to go . Most processors tag your deer but do a lot of cutting , grinding and packaging in bulk . You are never guaranteed in getting "your deer" back . Git 'r done !

• Like 1

Oh yeah , try this for a cutting board . Most kitchen counter installers cut the hole in the counter for a sink . This is an ideal piece for a cutting board . If someone is remodeling a kitchen and replacing the counter , you might be able to get a larger piece of counter top . 

• Like 2

I feel everyone who shoots and eats deer should at least do it a couple times. You should have that experience and it helps you understand what you should be seeing if someone does one for you.

In the old days we cut them all up ourselves. I remember packaging venison well before I hit double digits in age. I have done a couple by myself and it takes me a long ass time compared to someone who does it a lot. With all the other things I have going on and I would rather be hunting so I take them to the butcher. But I would only do this if you have a kick ass butcher. Too many hacks out there. Oh and boneless is the ONLY way to go.

Edited by Fletch

If I couldn't process my own I may not hunt.......it's that important to me.

YOU CAN'T MAKE A MISTAKE IN MY OPINION.  Don't sweat it if you're not sure......you can muddle through it and have the complete satisfaction that it's all YOUR deer.  You won't be getting some other "jamokes" ground road kill.  You won't get any bone.  You get the proportions YOU want.  I could go on.......

You know what, you don't even need a place to hang the deer, you could do it on the ground one side at a time the same way hundreds of thousands of critters are done each year in other parts of the country.  Plenty of people laugh at us west of the Mississippi goof balls that drag deer out whole each year.:)

Get yourself some sort of knife to skin the deer and a boning knife (Dexter/Russell or Victorinox) and ONLY use it for boning/butchering.  DON'T CUT BROWNIES, CAKE ETC WITH IT!!

Masking tape, Sharpie, Saran Wrap and Freezer Paper pretty much round out the goods.  The hardest part for me used to be getting rid of the parts........no more as I have a large garbage tote that is picked up each week at home and a dumpster at work.

Do it yourself, it's gratifying.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

YOU CAN'T MAKE A MISTAKE IN MY OPINION.  Don't sweat it if you're not sure......you can muddle through it and have the complete satisfaction that it's all YOUR deer.  You won't be getting some other "jamokes" ground road kill.  You won't get any bone.  You get the proportions YOU want.  I could go on.......

I took so much care in gutting and getting my deers cooled down as fast as possible.  I saw another guy at the processor with a deer that was covered in stones and mud.  Hope I didn't get any of his.  ha

25 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

100%

Own lots of Forschner and Victorinox fibrox butchering blades......do pigs, steers,sheep,goats,deer...

Forschner is same blade as the Victorinox if you want to shop.

Edited by Dinsdale
Geeze one beer and spell Victorinox 2 different ways.

4 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Nothing to butchering a deer...been doing it since I was old enough to hold a knife. I would never pay $75 to get it done!!!

May call on you for some advice later then.  Watch I had such a good season last year being my first season hunting, this year I'll get skunked.