Lever action caliber recommendations

Jeremy K

I happened to catch a hunting show a couple of days ago on one of the outdoor channels featuring a fellow that took just about every single species of big game in North America with a Winchester model 94 in 30-30. He did not mention the ammo he was using but whatever the brand and bullet it worked very well. Moose, Elk and Bison did not go far after he hit them with well placed shots and neither did any of the other smaller species, I was impressed.

I like lever actions and have 3 Marlins in 357 mag, 44 mag and 45-70, a Winchester 88 284 Winchester and a Savage 99 30-30 all iconic rifles and all will work great on big game with well placed shots using the proper ammo. Go to a well stocked shop and get your hands on some lever actions and get a feel and fit for each maker's rifle, go with the one that you like in looks and the way it shoulders for you.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

What kind of lever do you want? I would avoid new Marlins, they are terrible quality now! Pistol cartridge carbines have a place in my heart and I have a bunch of them. My favorites being in 44mag and 45 colt. I have rossi's and a couple old Marlins and a new Henry. The rossi's shoot the best. The Henry is the best quality and the Marlins aren't as accurate as the others and not as smooth but the older JM stamped Marlins aren't bad. If you a rifle cartridge I would go with 35 rem or 30-30. 45-70's are cool but are expensive to shoot if you don't reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd buy a 22 or 22 mag, 218 bee, or hornet,  the faithful 25-35 and  32 special in that order.

I have a .35  336a bought new in '50 or '51 , home rolled 180grs have taken a ton of game but the rimfires are used much much more

I have owned just about every caliber  a lever comes in and do not care for the pistol bullets, that includes the 444 and 45-70 for my kind of hunting.

if I was hunting long range big game with a lever I'd go with a BLR take down, you choose your favorite flavor.

as I say the rimfires get the most use, they never get taken off the dining room table, always at hand.

another lever I used a massive amount of time growing up was a 2 barrel set savage 99, the 22 high power with a 410 barrel, wish I had that today, but you can find them.

Edited by slickrockpack

I have the Henry Frontier Lever Action in 22LR.  I initially got it in 22LR because I intended to use the rifle mainly for plinking.  What I don't like about the Henry rimfire design is that to remove the magazine tube you have to unscrew it by the muzzle which means your hand is over the muzzle.  Sure, I keep the receiver open so the hammer is locked but it's just poor practice especially if I intend to let new shooters use the rifle.

"Never ever for any reason put your hand in front of the muzzle!  Okay?  Now put your hand in front of the muzzle and open the magazine tube."

If the action is open(= no ability to fire),the gun is unloaded and the hammer in the safe position there is no worry.I understand what you're saying but follow the simple rules of gun handling and you're safe

http://training.nra.org/nra-gun-safety-rules.aspx

Agreed just like cleaning first and foremost make sure unloaded and unable to fire.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I got a few people saying the mossberg 464 is an excellent choice for a new unit without spending a ton of money.

I personally know 3 people that would tell you to run away from the mossbergs.One was won at a banquet the other 2 were purchase.One very inaccurate,one had ejection problems and another had loading issues the 2 with loading/eject problems were fixed by mossberg though.Besides that I like mossberg for shotguns!

• Like 1

I switched a 30-30 to 38-55 a few years back due to Ohio rifle laws, too weird to explain. Anyways, if I had the opportunity for another lever action it would be .44magnum and never look back,,,,, or too far down a gas line or power line. Keep kills shots at respectable distance and be quite content.

bring out the old 30-06 for sniping from a sitting spot.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MACHINIST said:

I personally know 3 people that would tell you to run away from the mossbergs.One was won at a banquet the other 2 were purchase.One very inaccurate,one had ejection problems and another had loading issues the 2 with loading/eject problems were fixed by mossberg though.Besides that I like mossberg for shotguns!

I was able to do some reading last night and came across the same info multiple times . I really think after reading and hearing people's responses that I'm gonna end up with a Henry H010CC in 30 30 .

• Like 4