Lever action caliber recommendations

Jeremy K

I was able to do some reading last night and came across the same info multiple times . I really think after reading and hearing people's responses that I'm gonna end up with a Henry H010CC in 30 30 .

The 2 I have are absolutely superb! I did have to send the 22 back because of an awful trigger but the cleaned it up and it's perfect now! The 44 is an awesome rifle! You won't be disappointed in the quality American made firearm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just pick a caliber that is good for ranges you expect to shoot amd game. 30,30 is great caliber,  I like the little added punch of 45_70.  And ability to kill anything on north American continent.  It's shorter range 250 yards. But I like getting close to game. And with the ocasional bear where I hunt I like the bigger hole and penetration it provides. Some 30 30 deer rounds are to light or wrong bullet for a heavy bear.

• Like 2

I shoot a 444 marlin that being said. I would keep it to 1 of the calibers  30-30, 44mag and a 45-70, I picked thee three mostly for ammo availability. But you can’t go wrong with a 30-30. the 30-30 has killed more deer than any other round. 44my is good out to 100yds and there is a lot to be said for the 45-70 a big slow bullet with a lot of mass.

19 minutes ago, Larry said:

I shoot a 444 marlin that being said. I would keep it to 1 of the calibers  30-30, 44mag and a 45-70, I picked thee three mostly for ammo availability. But you can’t go wrong with a 30-30. the 30-30 has killed more deer than any other round. 44my is good out to 100yds and there is a lot to be said for the 45-70 a big slow bullet with a lot of mass.

Stop yelling !!! Or change your font size. ^_^

And for those who said the 45-70. Isn't that a little big for whitetails ?

My old Marlin 336 (1966 vintage) in .35 Remington is my favorite lever gun.  i have a few of them.  I also have a Marlin 1893 in .30-30 with the 24" barrel that still shoots 2" groups at 100 yards with the original open sights.  I also have a Rossi Heritage Model .357 magnum that's fun to shoot and can be used on deer if the shots are kept within 75 yards.

If I were advising a newbie on a lever gun for deer, I'd strongly advise the 336 in .35 Remington and I'd suggest looking at an older one in good condition.

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It's the same diameter as your muzzleloader. Just a little heavier.

45 caliber bullet, 70 grains of powder.. you shoot more than that in your muzzleloaders.. they also make 45-90 and 45 -120. The gun started off using black powder in a metal.case. of course with today's powdeer and bullets they preform even better than the govenernment test of shooting thru 4 inches of oak plank to kill enemy on other side of fort wall.  It is a very versatile round for hunting as well as being nostalgic in the fact it is a straight wall cased shell, and that makes it legal in ohio to hunt whitetail with as well..

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

gotcha. My rifle knowledge is pretty weak. I just pictured it to be more like an elephant safari gun primarily

FWIW......

With modern powders and the right bullets it has been used on dangerous game. Most countries specify a energy requirement to hunt big 5 ( dangerous 7 some places); that often is a classic loaded 375HH with 300gr bullet; sometimes a 9.3x62 (.366 bore) and a 286gr bullet is also allowed.

Hot loaded 45-70's are some stout medicine....google "Randy Garrett" he was a pioneer in producing dangerous game loads for new rifles. You can't shoot this stuff in rifles intended for the old blackpowder loads.

Many consider it a "stunt" just like folks argue using a 223Rem for deer on here. Sometimes with the right professional hunter/gov't game scout; things sorta can get looked past and hunts happen anyway.

• Like 1

My old Marlin 336 (1966 vintage) in .35 Remington is my favorite lever gun.  i have a few of them.  I also have a Marlin 1893 in .30-30 with the 24" barrel that still shoots 2" groups at 100 yards with the original open sights.  I also have a Rossi Heritage Model .357 magnum that's fun to shoot and can be used on deer if the shots are kept within 75 yards.

If I were advising a newbie on a lever gun for deer, I'd strongly advise the 336 in .35 Remington and I'd suggest looking at an older one in good condition.

I have one too, I think it's 1968