Brush with Fame -- Kinda

moog5050

Sitting at a restaurant in JFK airports and I start talking to the guy in the next table.  Nice guy and I recognized him but couldn't place who he was.  A few people come up and ask for a photograph with him.  I didn't want to insult his famousness so I didn't ask him his name.  After he left, the couple in the table next to me advise me that it was Robert Davi.   Again, didn't know exactly who he was by name, but I guess he is a quasi known actor.  

Dressed a bit unusual with a fedora, dress shirt with cufflinks, sweatshirt with shorts and sneaks.

anyway, that was my brush with fame, kinda

That's cool!

I was on a flight coming home from Japan one time. Business trip, so I was sitting in first class. I have no idea who the Japanese woman was sitting next to me, but people were getting their pics taken with her all the time! The pilot and others brought her big bouquets of flowers and bottles of champagne and were all giddy talking to her. Of course, they were all speaking Japanese, so I have no idea what they were saying. LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Sitting at a restaurant in JFK airports and I start talking to the guy in the next table.  Nice guy and I recognized him but couldn't place who he was.  A few people come up and ask for a photograph with him.  I didn't want to insult his famousness so I didn't ask him his name.  After he left, the couple in the table next to me advise me that it was Robert Davi.   Again, didn't know exactly who he was by name, but I guess he is a quasi known actor.  

Dressed a bit unusual with a fedora, dress shirt with cufflinks, sweatshirt with shorts and sneaks.

anyway, that was my brush with fame, kinda

Don't feel bad. I wouldn't have known either, I just had to google him. My wife always has to point out the celebs to me when we see them in nyc, airports, or on our flights, I never know who anybody is. However, I did have valentine's day dinner in Greenwich and the guy next to me sounded very familiar. Finally, it hit me. It was Michael Kay. I told him I was a red sox fan, he laughed and we talked for a little bit. He was surprisingly pretty cool, so was his wife.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

That's cool!

I was on a flight coming home from Japan one time. Business trip, so I was sitting in first class. I have no idea who the Japanese woman was sitting next to me, but people were getting their pics taken with her all the time! The pilot and others brought her big bouquets of flowers and bottles of champagne and were all giddy talking to her. Of course, they were all speaking Japanese, so I have no idea what they were saying. LOL

It was Tila Tequila.

In 1985 I was flying to San Diego from Chicago.  I was in the isle seat, sitting next to me was a regular looking Joe and a pleasant looking gal next to him.  During the flight the stewardess came up and said to him "Excuse me sir, a fellow in the first class area would like to buy you and your companion a drink.  He said he won some money on you in the Super Bowl".  The fellow gratefully declined and said tell the gentleman thank you but he'd better not........

Hmm, I turned to the guy and said, "I'm sorry, but who are you?"

He said "Joe Montana, San Fransisco 49ers".  Yup, they won the Super Bowl that year!!!!

That was pretty cool, just a regular Joe. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ny hunter said:

WOW Law you were sitting next to Greatness........................

Honest, it didn't phase me a bit then.  I always have been a football fan but for the most part I've had more pressing things to do in the fall then spend too much time with team sports.:wink:

• Like 1

Special agent Johnson in "Die Hard".< good flic

Missed Bills QB Jim Kelly by a week in being in the same hunting camp in New Zealand 2014. Would have liked to known why he couldn't win just one freekin' SB out of 4 attempts.

Worked for a couple of celebs and some were nice, some ambivalent, a few were asswipes. James Earl Jones is really a nice guy and same for Dan Rather.

• Like 1

Special agent Johnson in "Die Hard".
Missed Bills QB Jim Kelly by a week in being in the same hunting camp in New Zealand 2014. Would have liked to known why he couldn't win just one freekin' SB out of 4 attempts.

Worked for a couple of celebs and some were nice, some ambivalent, a few were asswipes. James Earl Jones is really a nice guy and same for Dan Rather.

Speaking of NFL and Hunting. My dad shared camp with Jared Allen in Ontario on a wolf hunt. My dad said Jared ate like a monster, literally eat 3-4 times the amount of everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Why was Joe flying coach? Something doesn't add up....

Not sure why he was in coach but IIRC he wasn't to imposing of a guy.........just a regular looking guy IMO.

And, I couldn't/wouldn't make this up as ICGAF. :)

• Like 5

I would have not known who he was Loved the Goonies too. Classic movie.
Years back while in Boca Raton staying in the infamous pink hotel for a work meeting. Took golf lessons from Jim Flick and met Jack Nicklaus. But the real kicker was we went to the Canadian ballet and tyed one on. Get into elevator. Another guy with us says " I think that's Hershel Walker" in a loud drunken stupor. Hershel replies " why yes , I am Hershel Walker " Funny at the time. It was weekend of Chris Everts charity event.
Day of my 20th HS reunion buddy flew home from LA sitting next to Ron Jeremy ( aka the hedgehog ) and then flight to NYC he had Leon Spinks behind him. He gets to reunion and is check out these pics Funny

• Like 1

I don't have too many stories but I have a few.

I've partied with Three Doors Down a fair amount. My father's brother in law (second marriage) was in the Navy with Chris. Quite a few memories from those days. One night we literally all watched the sun come up.

Had a conversation with Sammy Farha (poker pro) at UFC 61. I was whizzing in the urinal when he stepped up to the plate on the next one over and we chatted about the fights. Also parties pretty hard with Mat Hammil on his birthday. His gf/wife was a bartender at a local pub.

Walked in on Jani Lane riding some rails before a show started here in Rochester. He was so lit he couldn't finish his set.

Have a few more but it's late it this stuff just makes me feel old now, lol.

• Like 2

I would have not known who he was Loved the Goonies too. Classic movie.
Years back while in Boca Raton staying in the infamous pink hotel for a work meeting. Took golf lessons from Jim Flick and met Jack Nicklaus. But the real kicker was we went to the Canadian ballet and tyed one on. Get into elevator. Another guy with us says " I think that's Hershel Walker" in a loud drunken stupor. Hershel replies " why yes , I am Hershel Walker " Funny at the time. It was weekend of Chris Everts charity event.
Day of my 20th HS reunion buddy flew home from LA sitting next to Ron Jeremy ( aka the hedgehog ) and then flight to NYC he had Leon Spinks behind him. He gets to reunion and is check out these pics Funny

I know that hotel as my buddies grandfather is a member there as well as Boca Grove. I go once a year.

Anyway, on the topic of my golf. 50-60 something years when my grandfather lived in North Tonawanda and played golf a lot, he went to a local golf club in western NY and watched Palmer, Nicklaus, and 2 other pros play a round. Less than 30 people showed up so he walked and talked with them the whole day. Maybe Lancaster CC or audobon? One of those courses.