Black Bear Tips?

NYTrapper

I got this bear on camera the other day and was wondering if some of you guys could help me out. I've done the basic research on what works to keep bears around...just what works better for some of you(knowing I can only use scent attractants.. no bait. Also wondering if anyone could help judge the size of it. I have my treestand sitting between a thick stand of pine and a hayfield. My stand is in the clear cut in between set over a big berry patch.

WGI_0361.JPG

i'm no expert on judging bear always hunted them with a guide in maine & cananda,but bears are one of the hardest animals to judge.fall bears are bigger the spring,the head & belly on that one in your photo look good differently not his first year alone. the one in the photo is 200-300lbs in the spring he blows up to over 300 in the late fall,my biggest was 280 smallest was 90lbs. i couldn't tell the difference until i walked up to them. 

003 (2).JPG

That looks like a good eating size one to me (about 200 pounds live weight).  I am getting hungry just looking at that picture.   The larger ones are not so good from what I hear.   I ate some from a smaller one that a buddy killed a few years ago and it was excellent.  I am hoping for one about that size up in the Adirondacks with my ML in a couple more weeks.  There has been many sightings of one around camp up there over the last several years, but I fear it may be a little on the big side for good eating.   You don't get a lot boned meat from any bear (only about 10% of their live weight), and the crock pot and some spices can make any meat taste good.   If a bear offers me a good shot, I am taking it no matter how big it is.      

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Padre86
      I'm looking for feedback on which pistol cartridges are ideal for dispatching black bear and deer.
      I need a good sidearm to carry along for tracking and dispatching wounded game.  I will always rely on a rifle or shotgun if I believe the animal's wounds are marginal.  But for those situations where the animal's wounds are fatal but it life still lingers, I would like a reliable, widely available and effective pistol cartridge for dispatching it.

The cartridges I am considering for this application:
      .357 magnum 10mm auto .44 magnum .41 magnum .454 casull I would prefer a revolver for its simplicity and reliability for shooting big cartridges.  As well, I really don't see the need for anything more than 6-8 shot capacity for this use.  That said, I would consider a semi-auto if the case for 10mm's usefulness can be made.  
      With regards to the magnum cartridges and bears: I've seen a lot of people preach that "bigger is better."  And while I acknowledge that something like a .44 magnum or .454 casull are well-regarded for killing big game, I would prefer a cartridge that is adequate for handling black bear rather than one that is overkill, if that makes sense.  I have given .357 magnum much consideration for this reason.
      I would like to hear feedback from those that have experience with these cartridges, or perhaps others that I haven't considered.  
    • By north560
      Due to a border crossing problem,we have had a last minute cancellation for the 2017 Fall Black bear hunt for our American friends.
      Offering the hunt at a reduced rate, basic hunt 925./per person, should you want meals add another $200, boat $150 per person.Can accommodate group from 4 to 8 Hunters.Please call for more information Gow-Bush-Kon Lodge Gowganda Ontario Canada 1-705-624-2301
      Here's a picture from our spring hunt.

• By kam
      Check these turkeys out.

In backyard

In woods

A couple right in front of the cam

• By DeerJohn
      youngster from early summer.

• By stevenjackson
      How flipping cool is this! Pretty funny how he gets a bit crazy and just bounces out after shedding them both. Happy weekend everyone!

http://huntervids.com/?videos=wisconsin-white-deer-surprised-by-shed-1613