Thinking about a 44 mag rifle....but which one??

I once owned a Ruger 44 auto, the physical gun I loved in both looks feel and handling. The accuracy was not good at all, I was getting 6 inch groups at 100 yds which was probably good enough for taking deer but I was not happy with that kind of accuracy with a rifle especially when I could shoot better groups with my S&W model 29 revolver. It was pretty well known that accuracy out of those carbines was not the best but I tried.  So down the road that one went.

I currently have a Marlin 94 lever action with the 16 inch ported barrel, that little carbine is a tack driver with my shots touching at 50 yds shooting 300 gr Nosler hollow points with open sights. I was having trouble lining up the receiver sight in dim light so I mounted a Leupold 2.5 compact this past winter. It is going to be what I use in early part of the season when the leaves are still on this year.

003_zpska5v7mbn.jpg

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

5958a6760c219b72b165a68dea3007f5.jpg

Here's a pic of my 44's well other than the Rossi with the scout scope. 1 of my carbines will shoot an honest 1 1/2" group with most factory ammo, the other will shoot nearly as well with my hand loads but about 3" with most factory ammo. My 77 44 "the bolt" was probably the hardest to get to shoot well but it now is a sub 2" group gun. The Marlin is the least accurate it's an old JM and has a very large bore but it won't feed most cast bullets so I have never gotten it to shoot better than 4-5" groups at 100yds. The Rossi is a 454 and has been stupid accurate from day 1 shooting solid 1-2" groups from day 1 with most all ammo and a 2 power scope. The Henry shoots consistent 2-3" groups with most ammo.

My favorite of the bunch would be the carbines. Next would be the Rossi followed closely by the Henry. If you have any questions about them let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MACHINIST said:

I know it will either be a lever or a older Ruger semi auto.I like the Henry's,Marlin's and winchester but figured I'd get everyones input.It will be a walking/fun gun and thats about it.So 100 yards or less will be the max shots.

simple choice pal, Ruger 96/44, nice light carrying rifle plenty accurate to 75 yards, and it's a Ruger, and it's a Lever action. fun fun and fun.

9 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

5958a6760c219b72b165a68dea3007f5.jpg

Here's a pic of my 44's well other than the Rossi with the scout scope. 1 of my carbines will shoot an honest 1 1/2" group with most factory ammo, the other will shoot nearly as well with my hand loads but about 3" with most factory ammo. My 77 44 "the bolt" was probably the hardest to get to shoot well but it now is a sub 2" group gun. The Marlin is the least accurate it's an old JM and has a very large bore but it won't feed most cast bullets so I have never gotten it to shoot better than 4-5" groups at 100yds. The Rossi is a 454 and has been stupid accurate from day 1 shooting solid 1-2" groups from day 1 with most all ammo and a 2 power scope. The Henry shoots consistent 2-3" groups with most ammo.

My favorite of the bunch would be the carbines. Next would be the Rossi followed closely by the Henry. If you have any questions about them let me know.

no pic bud

8 hours ago, slickrockpack said:

simple choice pal, Ruger 96/44, nice light carrying rifle plenty accurate to 75 yards, and it's a Ruger, and it's a Lever action. fun fun and fun.

Yeah Ive seen those also.Only problem with the rugers is I have heard people having nightmares with accuracy.While I don't need it to be a tack driver I still want to be able to take a deer in a reasonable woods hunting situation

Yeah Ive seen those also.Only problem with the rugers is I have heard people having nightmares with accuracy.While I don't need it to be a tack driver I still want to be able to take a deer in a reasonable woods hunting situation

They used the same barrels and bolts as the carbines. Both have been known to be hit or miss. The bad thing is you're buying used so you get a bad one and it's yours, the good thing is there is a command for them so you can always send it down the road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MACHINIST said:

No 44 mag rifle or carbine is a tack driver, the truth is that at whitetail hunting range in the east most rifles even the"inaccurate" ones, are still more accurate than the shooter.

If you want accuracy, pin point accuracy, you don't start looking at a straight walled pistol cartridge for long range.

You want to pitch in the major leagues and you're asking  "which bowling ball should I buy?"

I said I don't need a tack driver,but I would like something at least in a 4-5 inch group range.I know my friends 44 deerfield at 100 will do that with most ammo but another guy at the range couldn't touch the target with a bullet if he tried another time.Minute of coyote is all I need...that way I'm good when a deer comes in also

• Like 1

I said I don't need a tack driver,but I would like something at least in a 4-5 inch group range.I know my friends 44 deerfield at 100 will do that with most ammo but another guy at the range couldn't touch the target with a bullet if he tried another time.Minute of coyote is all I need...that way I'm good when a deer comes in also

The only one I own that won't shoot well enough for your needs with most factory ammo is the Marlin. Other than that all of mine will do it will every ammo I have tried.