Trailer recommendation

I need to trailer to transport an atv and use around a property.

Any feedback on this one from tractor supply

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-mesh-floor-utility-trailer-5-ft-x-8-ft-2-000-gvwr?cm_vc=-10005

Thanks in advance. I did get a quote for double the price at a dealer up in Columbia county so wondering if the TS one is a POS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tractor Supply has trailers with pressure treated floors . I wouldn't suggest buying one with the steel mesh flooring as I have seen many that are rusted out . Also , if you plan on using to quite a bit , don't get one with small tires . I have 2 trailers and one has 5.30 X 12 tires and they wear out fast .

7 hours ago, crappyice said:

Thanks guys.
Hey grampy - do you cover the steel mesh with ply or leave it as is? Curious if that would help with longevity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a sheet of 3/4 inch treated plywood and a box of 1 1/2 inch x 1/2 bolts and washers, and did it myself, in under an hour. Saved about 75 or 100 dollars ! As I remember. 

• Like 1

I had one from TS for a number of years, sold it when I sold the 'wheeler.

It was a pretty good value, I'd buy another if I had the need.  I bought mine in 1999 and it was the same brand; they're still selling them all these years later.

Take it for what it's worth..........

My best suggestion is to buy the biggest and most sturdy trailer your budget can support. It sucks having to upsize a trailer if one buys a bigger UTV or sendond wheeler.

I have a heavy duty "landscape" style with two ramps and the pressure treated deck. It is amazing how fast I can fill it when going to camp on work weekends.

Best of luck..

Another vote for a pressure treated floor. As someone who has owned several trailers, I would suggest getting the biggest and heaviest one you have the vehicle to tow. A trailer is one of those items that you will find use for that you never thought you had.

Also, get at least 13" tires. The 8,10, and 12" tires wear like butter!

I also bought that same trailer a few years ago. I added 2x6 studs for the floor and attached them with carriage bolts and fender washers under the mesh. The mesh is not strong enough to handle a large ATV. It will sag from the weight over time. It is much less expensive to attach the 2x6 or 2x8 studs yourself and all you will need is a drill and either a socket or wrench to fit the nuts. As the trailer is exactly 8' in length, you can buy 8' studs from any lumber yard and you will not have to do any cutting. You can then also attach eye bolts to the studs for anchor points for your tie down straps.

Here is my $.02. I went through several steel trailers for general purpose use and 4 wheeler hauling. Eventually, they all went south. I ended up getting an all aluminum trailer 4 years ago. It has been perfect for my needs. I tow the wheeler up to NY (from FL), then hook up the trailer to the wheeler to haul stuff into our cabin. I did not want all the extra weight of a steel / wood deck trailer, so the aluminum trailer was perfect. It has the larger wheels (for better highway use) and I have done some minor "rigging" to support my usage. YMMV.

Theres nothing wrong with a mesh floor. My trailer has one, and I couldnt even tell you how old it is. Yes, it will rust out eventually, but at that point it wont be very hard or expensive to replace it with a wood floor anyway.

That size trailer is hard to find sometimes in good condition on the used market. Been there, tried that. I ended up going with a bigger trailer, but thats because I need to haul my side by side and other equipment alot more. I did just end up with a 5x8 drop gate similar to that one, but it has a rotted out tongue, and a rotten wood floor that I will be replacing. It was free so I dont mind putting the work into it. It will be nice to use when I dont need the big trailer.

On 9/23/2016 at 9:50 PM, wdswtr said:

I would personally find one without the steel mesh floor.  They get bent up fast and rust quickly when the pain is chipped up and worn off from use.  Pressure treated deck is best.

I 2nd the PT deck. Look for a cheap used one, if you want it last forever buy an aluminum.

I have a 1981 galvanized boat trailer that has no rust except the parts I welded in. The original galvanized metal has no rust and not to mention it is completely submerged in water about 10-15 times a year. Like I mentioned an aluminum trailer will last a lifetime or until you outgrow it, and most have the ability to haul more because the trailer itself is lighter.

• 6 months later...

My brother has a 24 foot enclosed trailer that comes with a blue ox weight distribution hitch. We used it to haul our atv's and sometimes his foxbody car. The WD hitch system is a good addition to eliminate sag and sway. If you have a small, open trailer I think you don't need a WD.

I have that exact same trailer including the mesh floor, and bought from the same place. I don't remember how many years I have had it. I use it for hauling ATVs, lawn mowers, lumber products, etc., etc. No issue with the mesh floor, but it is kept under cover down in the barn, and has never seen road salt. Used in this way, I have no doubt that it will last through my lifetime at least.

One thing I have noticed though is that tailgate acts like dragging a parachute when it comes to gas mileage (Towing with a Honda CRV). It is definitely noticeable when using a marginal HP vehicle.

12 hours ago, mkgregor said:

My brother has a 24 foot enclosed trailer that comes with a blue ox weight distribution hitch. We used it to haul our atv's and sometimes his foxbody car. The WD hitch system is a good addition to eliminate sag and sway. If you have a small, open trailer I think you don't need a WD.

Depends on how much weight you are hauling. I have a WD hitch that I typically use with our camper, but I also have the tabs that I can add to my flatbed trailer so I can use it with that if needed.