Looking to buy hunting property

Phisher

Good luck on your retirement. How far do you want to travel? I'm four hours and it's far for weekends but any further and it would be only for week long trips and I would only use it a few times a year plus the locals will trespass much more IMO. I started hunting the Adks but the lack of deer had me switch to the Catskills. At least I would see deer if not take any. The other point I will make is that buying something with a camp or residence is so much cheaper. If you look carefully you can find a foreclosure at the same price as vacant land. Now you may have to fix it but you will know what the taxes are and you will save yourself the nightmare of dealing with the codes and nonsense the Building Department will put you through. There have been posts on here about guys who built a structure and were then told the ceiling will not fit the amount of insulation required unless he uses spray in at three times the cost. A friend did an extension in Maine and they told him he was the last 8 ft basement they approved all new permits only allow a 5 ft frost wall so now usable basements are illegal. Believe me you don't want to get started on septic systems. Just my opinion after trying to build on a piece of land I own and found the foreclosure way much better. If you can find something adjacent state land or any other type that will not be developed, hopefully that you can hunt on but food plots can draw deer in and the privacy is worth it even if you can't hunt it. Good luck.

• Like 1

There are plenty of areas of NY with great deer populations.  My preference would be WNY and finger lakes or southern tier, not the ADK although some hunters are great at getting it done there.  Just tougher to hunt with the vast expanses and lower deer populations from what I hear.  

Also, I think bow hunting is particularly tough in the ADK.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

I live in the Poconos and just started hunting 7R last year. I have been looking for a piece of property that borders State Forest between 5 and 20 acres. Would probably just buy a camper and put it on a concrete pad to avoid the taxes of a permanent structure. There seems to be great deals in the Andirondacks but want to keep my commute under 2 hours or I won't use it as much.

Blackpowder28

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I will live on the property from July till November. The Adirondacks were just a thought. I have hunted Florida,Georgia ,Texas,Kentucky and NC. Just started looking for property and NY seems to be the most reasonably priced. I truly appreciate the replies. I am not at all familiar with the better areas and hunting laws in NY. Just trying to get some local knowledge. Maybe join a QDM lease would be an option. 

Look up NY DEC they have a map each year of what they are trying to do with deer population. They are actively trying to lower it in much of NY and you can see the deer harvests per WMU as well. In many parts of NY if you can nab some property near a bunch of farm area you'll have tons of deer going through it. I have to say I know nothing about admirondacks. I've heard it's light compared to other parts of NY, but a lot of people love hunting there. Probably more rewarding than walking into a corn field and picking from 10 different deer. Also huge on bears!

• Like 2

I have been to most of the lower 48 and never run across any with scenery that rivaled NY's Adirondacks.  There is just something about that combination of mountains and lakes that takes your breath away, especially during archery season when you can catch the peak fall foliage, or late in rife season when the snow blankets the mountains.   

What that adds to the hunting experience can not really be put into words, but must be experienced to fully appreciate.   Killing a doe up there (in archery or ML season) is more memorable to me than a record book buck in the flatter parts of the state.   I cant think of a better place to head to after I retire.   The deer up there may be fewer and farther between than in other parts of the state, but the lack of hunting pressure, coupled with the unsurpassed scenery, more than makes up for that.  

• Like 1

I would entertain the possibility of forming a partnership with a couple of other like minded guys. It works with the right people. I am not a fan of hunting public land and open minded to any and all possibilities. Just food for thought. It is nice to be able to manage your own land and create better opportunities to harvest older deer. I have 4 friends that bought 500 acres in Georgia and they are going into their 11th year and it really works for them. I just don't want to sweat in my stand during bow season anymore!:heat:

• 2 months later...
On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Phisher said:

I would entertain the possibility of forming a partnership with a couple of other like minded guys. It works with the right people. I am not a fan of hunting public land and open minded to any and all possibilities. Just food for thought. It is nice to be able to manage your own land and create better opportunities to harvest older deer. I have 4 friends that bought 500 acres in Georgia and they are going into their 11th year and it really works for them. I just don't want to sweat in my stand during bow season anymore!:heat:

You could also do a group lease something to think about makes it much easier

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deerstalker said:

You could also do a group lease something to think about makes it much easier

I am planning on that for next year. No idea if I can work it out, but I think i can and it's much safer than joint-owning something with other people you don't know. Gonna try hard anyway to find paid land for next season. Pounding public land like mad this year and it's light as hell on deer (last year it was pretty good).

I'd love to own my own land but the finances of it are certainly not amazing. Around here let's say I spend $40k on some land. now I have property taxes each year as well. Contrast that to the long term cost of just leasing year after year; the latter isn't "yours", but you are never attached to land that you can't sell and that may end up sucking. Imagine buying some nice land and the year later somebody opens a dog kennel next door.