Need some advice

noob52

Bought this one years ago for the sole purpose of putting venison in it. Had 3 good sized deer in it from last year. It is just about maxed at 3. Sadly it's pretty empty and calling to get filled up again. Don't remember spending a crazy amount on it either. Get yourself an alarm for it. You can set parameters for highs and low temps. Sensor goes in freezer via a cord with temp gauge external and larger monitor sits on our coffee table  

IMG_3658.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

• Like 1

Definitely have a warning device for the freezer you buy . I bought a 7 1/2 cu ft freezer a few years ago and it crapped out after 13 months . It had a 1 year warranty . My venison was ruined . I bought another one and put a Thermometer sending unit in the new one and have the receiver next to me . It is 8.1 degrees in the freezer . My wife freezes a lot of stuff so I bought a 2nd one . We have an old 15 cu ft Gibson upright that we bought around 1970 and it still runs ( hope I didn't jinx it ) . 

I wanted a small 10 cu ft fridge for the garage . I stopped at Orvilles in Webster and saw one for around $400 and was thinking of buying it . When I told the sales person where I wanted to put it , he told me that would be a bad idea for a new fridge . He said that the new ones are computerized and if the temperature in the garage dropped to around 50 - 55 degrees , the computerized unit would shut off and not turn back on . He suggested buying a used one so I found one on Craigs List and bought it . 

So , figure out what size you want and where you are going to put it . If there is any thought about putting it in the garage , make sure a temperature drop won't cause it to fail . Also , have some sort of warning device to let you know if it has a temperature failure .

I currently have 2 freezers one I think is  around 16 cu.ft. and the other is 7 cu. ft. We had 3 deer in the 16 cu.ft. freezer. There is no way that they could have fit in the 7cu.ft. freezer. I highly suggest getting 2 freezers instead of just one. I like having the ability to move everything into one freezer if needed because one craps out on us. Also I would recommend an upright before a chest they make better use of the space and allows for 2 uprights in the 15-20 cu/ft range in the space of 1 20cu.ft. chest freezer. Just something to think about.

One advantage I have found with the chest freezer is that the lid will stay shut where our upright has a tendency to pop back open if shut hard and not paying attention.

Actually I think our one is 7 cu. ft.

Edited by chas0218