Hunting with scent lures in early season

Bow sniper

43 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

Imo the deer are in a pattern. Why change that when the easiest deer of the year are at hand? Id not use anything 

Only corn? I like to layout a whole buffet for them . But seriously ,like already mentioned,they are the easiest to figure and get over right now.

I make my own "ever calm" I take one of those cheap spray bottles in the HBA section add some Imitation vanilla about 2/3, add a few drops of almond extract and a little molasses to bring up to 3/4 full. Shake vigourously until molasses is dissolved.

Use any way you want but I generally just spray my boot soles and pant legs. I have had deer follow my trail up to my ladder stand and start licking my ladder rungs. Granted it wasn't a 160" 10 point but the doe seem to love it.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I make my own "ever calm" I take one of those cheap spray bottles in the HBA section add some Imitation vanilla about 2/3, add a few drops of almond extract and a little molasses to bring up to 3/4 full. Shake vigourously until molasses is dissolved.

add in some flour and throw in oven and you baked a cake:cheese:

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Use any way you want but I generally just spray my boot soles and pant legs. I have had deer follow my trail up to my ladder stand and start licking my ladder rungs. Granted it wasn't a 160" 10 point but the doe seem to love it.

Thats not what evercalm is.. Evercalm smells like a barn yard. Sounds like you have the secret vanilla killa formula, anyone remember that stuff?

9 minutes ago, mattypotpie8S said:

Thats not what evercalm is.. Evercalm smells like a barn yard. Sounds like you have the secret vanilla killa formula, anyone remember that stuff?

yup, I remember it and used it quite often, can't say much about it.........Evercalm is exactly what you said, and it's pretty much the only scent I'll spend money on because I've had good results every time I've used it and had deer close.

26 minutes ago, mattypotpie8S said:

I was thinking of Doc's sweet demise. Sorry about that. Yeah you're right it does smell like a barnyard. In that case I have a special recipe for that too!

18 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

yup, I remember it and used it quite often, can't say much about it.........Evercalm is exactly what you said, and it's pretty much the only scent I'll spend money on because I've had good results every time I've used it and had deer close.

Thats because it comes from a Deer Farm!!!

I've heard good things about the ever calm stuff. Never used it but maybe I will give it a try? I'll have two of us in the ground blinds this year. So double our scent laid down coming and going. I have well thought out entrance but close to the blinds, the ever calm may help. May give it a try in a couple early season set ups.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grampy said:

I've heard good things about the ever calm stuff. Never used it but maybe I will give it a try? I'll have two of us in the ground blinds this year. So double our scent laid down coming and going. I have well thought out entrance but close to the blinds, the ever calm may help. May give it a try in a couple early season set ups.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's an attractant as in a scent they follow........I smear it on the trees around my stand and I think it more or less gives them the impression that it's a "safe" area.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's an attractant as in a scent they follow........I smear it on the trees around my stand and I think it more or less gives them the impression that it's a "safe" area.

Yes, that's what I've read and heard. Should have been more clear. The double scent being laid down, on the way in and out is our human scent. So with more human scent in the area of our ground blinds, from two hunters, I was thinking the Ever Calm may help. Even when the wind is in our faces, we still leave our scent in the woods, coming to and going from our set-ups. 

Thanks for the tip to smear on the trees around your stand. Will do just that!