Hunting with scent lures in early season

Bow sniper

18 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

It'll be my first time using Ever calm and not familiar with Deer Dander. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to Deer Dander. It's been around a long time. http://teamfitzgerald.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=29

Had a doe follow me right to my stand and sniff the ladder rungs

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of tempted to try some scents this year. So hard to figure out what is genuinely effective and what is bunk. I guess we know deer have strong noses and there must be a way to take advantage of that, though.

Evercalm ratings are pretty darn good on amazon.

I agree that the deer are still in a pattern and easy to figure out right now so I mostly stay scent free and watch the wind.  The wind was swirling this weekend and Evercalm worked great.  From my experience it makes the deer curious and will actually bring them in, but not spooked or on alert which is great for not clearing out the woods

2 hours ago, Jared A said:

I agree that the deer are still in a pattern and easy to figure out right now so I mostly stay scent free and watch the wind.  The wind was swirling this weekend and Evercalm worked great.  From my experience it makes the deer curious and will actually bring them in, but not spooked or on alert which is great for not clearing out the woods

Yeah, I have had some very strong, curious reactions to Evercalm caught on camera. Definitely has the power to stop a deer for a few moments.

Not a scent or lure guy. A couple years back I tried Ever Calm. Some young ones checked it out and one young buck licked it off the branch, that was about it .

Now myself next time I think I'd put it on a stick and jab it into the ground wether then smear it on a tree or branch, I'm not sure leaving it by my stand 24x7 for days or weeks at a time is something I'd want to do again . 

24 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Not a scent or lure guy. A couple years back I tried Ever Calm. Some young ones checked it out and one young buck licked it off the branch, that was about it .

Now myself next time I think I'd put it on a stick and jab it into the ground wether then smear it on a tree or branch, I'm not sure leaving it by my stand 24x7 for days or weeks at a time is something I'd want to do again . 

That is not bad, though; it shows it worked. Amazon is mostly people who love evercalm and a few people who are convinced it spooked the deer.

I do wish the stuff wasn't $20 and also apparently the manufacturer says use it within a year. Is this true, it's only good for about a year? I suppose if bought fresh now it would be good for two hunting seasons (14 months).

Edited by Core

I have to say after using it this past weekend, it has worked for me! I just marked trees with the Ever Calm, on my way in to my ground blinds. I saw on two different occasions where deer passed over my entry trail and calmly walked over it, without the quick stop and head up looking around. So far I haven't seen any bad reactions. One doe sniffed a couple trees with it on there and calmly went about feeding on acorns. So far so good with this product! And I am NOT a big scent guy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grampy said:

I have to say after using it this past weekend, it has worked for me! I just marked trees with the Ever Calm, on my way in to my ground blinds. I saw on two different occasions where deer passed over my entry trail and calmly walked over it, without the quick stop and head up looking around. So far I haven't seen any bad reactions. One doe sniffed a couple trees with it on there and calmly went about feeding on acorns. So far so good with this product! And I am NOT a big scent guy.

Grampy tried something new....and liked it.....lol

• Like 3