So who will shoot a doe on opener

moog5050

Any deer will be just fine for my grandson's first deer!

I got sweet revenge, last year, on an old doe that had been busting me for three years! No matter where I set up in that area, she would bust me and blow! Cost me a decent buck two years ago. But last year I moved out of one of my ground blinds to a fallen tree, a short distance away. It's the first day of crossbow and here they come, at least six does being led by big mama! She stopped, looking dead at my ground blind 45 yards away. Doing the head bob and stiff leg she knew something was up. Three of them walked within 10 feet of me! She slowly stepped from behind a big hemlock at 17 yards and I let the bolt fly. She laid down for the last time 50 yards away. I got more of a thrill seeing her fall than a lot of the decent bucks I've killed!

20151114_114114.jpg

Grampy.jpg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I like backstraps, but as far as the rest of it I prefer regular steaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLASPHEMY! Pure, un-adulterated, BLASPHEMY! Go hang out in the "General Chit Chat" area as punishment until you come to your senses young man!

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 3

Biz, why are you apologizing? We are already in the "General Chit Chat" area. LOL

The g/f is hunting this year as well ( first year ), not until the gun season though. Going to try and get her left over DMP's for the areas I plan to take her hunting in. If she gets them, she will knock down the first doe she sees as well.

Good luck TugHill Tamer!  I will be hunting private land that I only have access to because of a hunting friend and he does not want any doe shot in the "big buck" area we will be hunting.  I will probably hunt state land on Sunday then it's gloves off for any doe. 

That's a cool story Grampy!  I once had a doe that busted me 3 times several years apart.  Like you I set up in different spots yet she always busted me.  Old doe know there woods like no other and can be much smarter than bucks I agree! 

• Like 2

Once you get a doe in October, you soon appreciate retrieving & cleaning one with the milder temps. Also a lot less intrusive retrieving one in early Oct than after Halloween timeframe. So...YES, but always give them a lot of time to approach, sizing them up & definitely looking behind them for something more interesting.

First time in 30 years I'm hunting the Bow Opener and with a new compound.

Absolutely!! I'll take the first full size doe to come along.  

Given that I'm in AR 40, and the local genetics favor no brow tines, it may be the only legal kind of deer I see all season.

Have only two buck on cams, a spike and a 4 pointer (forkhorn, no browtines).

Yes usually, Id rather fill doe tags with my bow, than any gun hands down. I prefer to shoot them right off the bat, unless i have a "chooter" buck patterned in that area. Plus it may mean more competition for bucks during the rut possibly too and they are not "knocked up" yet, for areas that could use a few more deer.. 

But this year I am trying to get my wife to fill the freezer, shes only harvested 2 deer her whole hunting career. I tell ya she has the itch to get a buck with her bow pretty badly..  I can sit back, watch and wait for Mr. Mature while she can knock off a deer or two