So who will shoot a doe on opener

moog5050

I'll be out of state for the opening weekend, but hope to take a pair of does in 4J in the early season (starting next week) to fill the freezer, and to calm the nerves.

I will, however, carry that antlered tag with me just in case... I don't have any particular bucks that I'm hunting (small fellas on the cams), but I do hope this year is the year I bow a buck down.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Shoot the does early . When the Rut comes around , the bucks have to travel more to find doe . 

That works great if everyone does it, but I've changed my tune on smaller parcels. Even in high DPSM, it takes time for does to backfill a core range - they will, but it takes time. Also, shooting the alpha doe has changed patterns and behaviors of the doe group that we could almost set a watch to beforehand whether that's bedding to food or vice versa and estrous time. Older alpha does go into estrous earlier. I don't I need to explain the luxury of having the first hot doe on the block near your stand.

Knocking out the alpha doe in a lone doe group that calls your property home can really shake things up - maybe for the better, maybe for the worse, but it won't be the same, that's for sure. Especially if there is no beta doe ready to fill in.

I don't question the merits or biological impact to nailing the does early, but my observations on small acreage ground has really made me question whether the tactic balances management/hunting goals. Shooting resident does on small acreage means you are going to rely on transient does and terrain features to bring the bucks through during the short-term.

The past few bow seasons, I've specifically targeted the "second in command" when I've shot does in a group setting. Alpha does are not hard to ID based on their size and behavior. You fill the freezer and minimize the risk of changing the doe group dynamics because the alpha is there to keep the norm. Now, if that alpha keeps busting me or my buddies. Well, her days are over, lol.

I really only take one doe in bow now and moved the remainder of my efforts to gun season. We shoot a lot of does though as a group. I think we shot 15 between three hunters last season. My buddies may disagree, but I saw lower doe numbers last year on most of our parcels and the rut action reciprocated with it being slower, too. The one parcel that we hadn't taken a lot of does on the season prior had the most intense rut action and most visible bucks last year (while in stand) - and that one also got more hunting pressure from a neighbor.

Edited by phade
  • Like 4

That works great if everyone does it, but I've changed my tune on smaller parcels. Even in high DPSM, it takes time for does to backfill a core range - they will, but it takes time. Also, shooting the alpha doe has changed patterns and behaviors of the doe group that we could almost set a watch to beforehand whether that's bedding to food or vice versa and estrous time. Older alpha does go into estrous earlier. I don't I need to explain the luxury of having the first hot doe on the block near your stand.

Knocking out the alpha doe in a lone doe group that calls your property home can really shake things up - maybe for the better, maybe for the worse, but it won't be the same, that's for sure. Especially if there is no beta doe ready to fill in.

I don't question the merits or biological impact to nailing the does early, but my observations on small acreage ground has really made me question whether the tactic balances management/hunting goals. Shooting resident does on small acreage means you are going to rely on transient does and terrain features to bring the bucks through during the short-term.

The past few bow seasons, I've specifically targeted the "second in command" when I've shot does in a group setting. Alpha does are not hard to ID based on their size and behavior. You fill the freezer and minimize the risk of changing the doe group dynamics because the alpha is there to keep the norm. Now, if that alpha keeps busting me or my buddies. Well, her days are over, lol.

I really only take one doe in bow now and moved the remainder of my efforts to gun season. We shoot a lot of does though as a group. I think we shot 15 between three hunters last season. My buddies may disagree, but I saw lower doe numbers last year on most of our parcels and the rut action reciprocated with it being slower, too. The one parcel that we hadn't taken a lot of does on the season prior had the most intense rut action and most visible bucks last year (while in stand) - and that one also got more hunting pressure from a neighbor.

Thanks for sharing... In light of my experience this year, I think it's an approach I need to consider on my small parcel in 4L.

My neighbor across the street took the alpha doe (she was a horse!) last season, and she had a group of 6 others with her. I haven't seen that group all year, and have mostly seen a single doe and her two fawns. Every now and again a group of three wander through.

I don't know if the group broke apart, or if they moved on to another area (which could be due to a variety of factors and food sources). My apple tree produced zilch this year.

Despite the lack of apples, I had thought (hoped) I'd see the remaining does in that group bunched up and walking the lines. There's still time, I guess, but I think my neighbor shifted the natural order of things.

If I have an opportunity to harvest a second in command, I'll give that a try...

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

I'm not going to omit either - I'll shoot the YOY, too. There is some information showing that may cause the adult doe to go into estrous earlier. I can't remember where I've come across that though. Seems true based on biology in the wild - lions for example. With an alpha lion killed in the pride, a new male moving in will kill the cubs to force the female into heat.

43 minutes ago, phade said:

Not sure what you consider small parcels but I consider anything less than 200 small, anything less than 20 is micro. My family owns 130 acres with access to a neighboring 20, I consider this small and we never shoot the alpha or matriarch. Once we see she is no longer producing fawns we will take her otherwise she will live on. We have a tripod (3 legged) doe that dropped 2 fawns the last 2 years so we have let her go, the herd in our area used to be much larger and with the neighboring property owners restricting access to everyone the herd grows a little every year and the bucks do too. 

My acreage is relatively small ( 107 acres).   I also avoid shooting the old mama does whom, I believe are the very core of the

deer herd.

I don't like shooting fawns simply because there is less meat on them, so I try to pick a medium sized subordinate doe for my DMP.

Bucks ??  I could care less about antlers...I usually shoot a 1.5 year old, and let my antler coveting buddy who shares in food plot expenses, hold out for one of his "shooters".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I don't like shooting fawns simply because there is less meat on them, so I try to pick a medium sized subordinate doe for my DMP.

There is always that one doe that just wants to give your position away to every deer in the county. That is the one that gets my arrow!

• Like 1

I will probably.  however, if it works out to where doe family groups come in at once I won't shoot and clear a field.  I'm stuck to weekends only this year.  I use time on stand to also scout with glass in the beginning of the season from a distance.  still would be a spot to get a crack at a doe or more working to a main destination food source.  it works out well.  Sunday evening's are tough to poke a doe with work the next morning as I do the butchering.

sooner the better though when it comes to doe and where our season falls in the year.

2 hours ago, Jared A said:

I've always looked to shoot mature doe opening weekend. no mommies with babies though, I don't like to break up families early in the year! you hate to eat a doe tag come nov/dec... when all the deer are hiding!!

Not that many does running around without fawns in tow. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean the doe is without fawn.

In a place like Genesee Co. more than 90% of does are successfully bred each year according to the DEC.

• Like 3

Not that many does running around without fawns in tow. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean the doe is without fawn.

In a place like Genesee Co. more than 90% of does are successfully bred each year according to the DEC.

Agree. I've passed on soooo many doe in past years due to " she had fawns" If the fawns aren't spotted and somewhat mature I'm taking that doe home with me. Shot a dry doe last year , big sob with no fawns. But that's rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'll certainly try but i really doubt that I'm going to. I'm actually looking for a doe because I have a dmp for 8c and they give you back a tag for everyone you fill. I'd like to save my bow season tag for a potential "eat what you catch" type of camping trimp i may take this fall.