So who will shoot a doe on opener

moog5050

I was going to wait in case of a buck. But after seeing the responses here I'll be filling the freezer first chance.

At what point are the fawns old enough to survive? Obviously no spots. But I'm concerned the one lone doe I'm seeing may be boss hang as she is the biggest.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My son and I both tried to and almost did take does on opening day.Keep in mind we both are relatively new to bow hunting and both have never taken a deer with a bow. So today was are opening day here in the north and we both had to work in the morning so we did an afternoon hunt he got 2 shots off at 2 different doe the first shot he guessed wrong at the yardage using his 30yrd pin where he should have used his 20 and the arrow sailed high just over the deers back the second shot he had he was on with his yardage but the deer ducked the arrow, he was sick to his stomach 2 missed on the same night I told him that's hunting and things like that happen. I had 3 doe come out at about 50 yrds, 2 of them hooked off to the right but the biggest one did a full circle around me and went behind a Bush 25 yrds in front of me as I was getting ready to draw anticipating it would come out from the bush it all of a sudden got spooked and took off at a trot with tail up for about 50 yrds then stoped and started feeding now out of bow range don't know what spooked her I had the wind in my face and was in a 18 ft tree stand with a nice backdrop, so we both came real close but that's hunting and I consider it I a memorable hunt still the same.We also had My nephew and his friend with us and they saw 7 deer between the 2 of them so the deer were deffinetly out . Great evening in the woods, hope I didn't bore anyone to death just wanted to share are almost story.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 5

My son and I both tried to and almost did take does on opening day.Keep in mind we both are relatively new to bow hunting and both have never taken a deer with a bow. So today was are opening day here in the north and we both had to work in the morning so we did an afternoon hunt he got 2 shots off at 2 different doe the first shot he guessed wrong at the yardage using his 30yrd pin where he should have used his 20 and the arrow sailed high just over the deers back the second shot he had he was on with his yardage but the deer ducked the arrow, he was sick to his stomach 2 missed on the same night I told him that's hunting and things like that happen. I had 3 doe come out at about 50 yrds, 2 of them hooked off to the right but the biggest one did a full circle around me and went behind a Bush 25 yrds in front of me as I was getting ready to draw anticipating it would come out from the bush it all of a sudden got spooked and took off at a trot with tail up for about 50 yrds then stoped and started feeding now out of bow range don't know what spooked her I had the wind in my face and was in a 18 ft tree stand with a nice backdrop, so we both came real close but that's hunting and I consider it I a memorable hunt still the same.We also had My nephew and his friend with us and they saw 7 deer between the 2 of them so the deer were deffinetly out . Great evening in the woods, hope I didn't bore anyone to death just wanted to share are almost story.

Glad to hear your all having a good time and having some action. Missing deer is just part of the adventure. Makes for good story telling later on! Trust me when I say you and your son will miss plenty more in the future! Happens to the best of us. I've been bow hunting for 14 years and still miss now and again. My first deer I shot at with a bow was 14 years ago and I must of just grazed that 4 pointers belly just enough to give us a weak blood trail to follow for over a half mile. My dad and I guessed the yardage wrong and I used the wrong pin. But I'll never forget that moment or that 6 hours of tracking we did, and that's what it's all about in the end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Glad to hear your all having a good time and having some action. Missing deer is just part of the adventure. Makes for good story telling later on! Trust me when I say you and your son will miss plenty more in the future! Happens to the best of us. I've been bow hunting for 14 years and still miss now and again. My first deer I shot at with a bow was 14 years ago and I must of just grazed that 4 pointers belly just enough to give us a weak blood trail to follow for over a half mile. My dad and I guessed the yardage wrong and I used the wrong pin. But I'll never forget that moment or that 6 hours of tracking we did, and that's what it's all about in the end!

I couldn't agree with you more it was a hunt we will never forget, however how great would it have been for a father and his son to get there first bow deer on the same night!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Good story What county are you in ?

I couldn't agree with you more it was a hunt we will never forget, however how great would it have been for a father and his son to get there first bow deer on the same night!

Hey there's always the next day you two go out that you might both take a deer! That's what I love most about hunting, the uncertainty. You just never know what's gonna happen and what your gonna see.

• Like 1

Nice sponsor. Great day if I could tag a doe and "tag " her on opening day imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160928%2F27e8af0a3037d07538c45f7ec8928efe.png&key=a1483d2b544da32c98a99eae09ed0e64b100d57c44092a885600416feaa63887

Dang haven't seen that AD yet! Lol. Is it just me or did Tapatalk get a whole crap ton of new ads the last day or two?? I don't remember there being this many ads before.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phade said:

In a place like Genesee Co. more than 90% of does are successfully bred each year according to the DEC.

Now here's another stat from the DEC that makes me scratch my head. How the hell do they know that!??!

Shot many does with fawns in tow. Of course none with spots for obvious reasons! The fawns always seem to survive and don't tend to stray far from mama's core area or patterns. Some tend to become loners though and not willing to or easily accepted into another family.

In my little part of the world, seeing a decent buck in the SZ during daylight hours until closer to Halloween is pretty slim. So, shooting a doe in early Oct for the freezer is sort of a no-brainer for me. Naturally that depends on how many I've gotten summertime photos of & what I'm seeing while in the stand. Also, after prepping all summer for the bow season, the "itchy trigger finger" comes into play during the early season! LOL

• Like 1

Now here's another stat from the DEC that makes me scratch my head. How the hell do they know that!??!

Shot many does with fawns in tow. Of course none with spots for obvious reasons! The fawns always seem to survive and don't tend to stray far from mama's core area or patterns. Some tend to become loners though and not willing to or easily accepted into another family.

In my little part of the world, seeing a decent buck in the SZ during daylight hours until closer to Halloween is pretty slim. So, shooting a doe in early Oct for the freezer is sort of a no-brainer for me. Naturally that depends on how many I've gotten summertime photos of & what I'm seeing while in the stand. Also, after prepping all summer for the bow season, the "itchy trigger finger" comes into play during the early season! LOL

I believe the conception rate is from roadkill sampling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockspek said:

I was gonna say, if those tags were yellow then I'd feel bad  

Between my wife and I we had 8 permits for 8R last year. I think that I filled two. This new freezer is for my taxidermy business and will be storing capes. Maybe a little meat too depending on how the season goes...

7 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

I too wonder how they know this...All I can picture is some cornell student chasing around a doe trying to get it pee on the strip.

Sometimes that itchy finger gets the best of me. 

19 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

About 10 years ago I shot a doe opening day and 10 minutes later a big 8 stepped out and as I was drawing he ran 60yds out into the field to where she laid dead then ran back into the woods. Now I only shoot a doe after my buck tag is filled.

My cousin told me the same story (though he may have exaggerated the buck size, ha...).  That happened to him this past season.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, WNY Bowhunter said:

What a pitiful sight: 18 cu. ft of emptiness...

20160927_120528.jpg

aren't those this years tags?  usually have a little overlap with running through last years venison during this years season.  can't imagine that freezer will stay empty long.  looks like you've got some DMPs to fill.

• Like 1