Do you hunt in the rain and how did it work out for you

LJC

Remember one thing, deer still move, no matter what the weather conditions. Their have been a few times, I made the choice to fire a weapon in the rain. Many more, not to. It depends on the situation and future weather conditions. It can change so quickly around these Great Lakes. Weigh all your options. Then make an educated decision.

I figure, the more time I spend a field, the better chance of harvesting a deer.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

2 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I am thinking of getting a tree umbrella or canopy for my stand. Do you think if I bring that in and set it up in the dark on Saturday morning, the deer would notice the difference?

I have used them for a few years and they don't seem to bother the game that much. If it stops raining I like to close it up but they work well. I have even used one on the side of my stand to block the wind in the colder gun season and it helps.

• Like 1

I would hunt in light rain in a second. However,  having a busy schedule with my kids and all other things I find myself opting for the better weather weekends.  I'm staying home this weekend so I can hunt 3 long days next weekend.  Get my chores done now and enjoy the family, Columbus weekend in my stand.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

I would hunt in light rain in a second. However,  having a busy schedule with my kids and all other things I find myself opting for the better weather weekends.  I'm staying home this weekend so I can hunt 3 long days next weekend.  Get my chores done now and enjoy the family, Columbus weekend in my stand.

You and me both, the season used to open after Columbus day anyway. Still too warm for my liking.

• Like 1

I love hunting in the rain but my gear hates me for it!  Took my 2010 and 2013 ADK bucks in rain like stated before the real issue is tracking your game after the shot.  Lucky for me the deer was in sight in 2010 and 2013 was at the last location I saw him 10 ft away.  You want to talk about making the first shot count!  

Rain is a still hunters best friend!  Snow is a trackers.   

• Like 2

I've taken many deer when it was raining.  Rain makes noise so the deer can't hear as well.  Rain often has wind as well.  That's also a noise maker, but it makes things move too.  That helps cover your moves.  It makes the leaves quite, so you can stalk or still hunt without making noise.  It makes it harder for deer to smell you too.  Hunting deer in the rain can be very productive.

There is a breaking point where hard rain that lasts will drive me out of the woods. And also rain just above freezing - that is the absolute worst.

That said, I'll sit through a monsoon if that rain is forecasted to end or taper during the last hour of daylight - especially ifs a rain that is hard and steady for 4+ hours. The deer will oftentimes hunker down during the hard rain but only to the point where they are forced to feed, which maxes out around four hours. If you match that up with the rain tapering or stopping at the end of the day...deer get on the move and they do so quickly. Some of the best hunts I've ever had involve rain - and I might even say the majority.

That rain when it's 35-40 degrees though - horrible. I bet terrorists would give up secrets if we made them sit through that. Moog loves those days - he prefers steak and eggs in a dry diner over a giant buck on his wall. LOL. 15 minutes....

6 minutes ago, phade said:

Moog loves those days - he prefers steak and eggs in a dry diner over a giant buck on his wall. LOL. 15 minutes....

Its a good thing I am charitable Phade.  I will refrain from further comment.  lol

And those were darn good steak and eggs!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Having a nice comfortable ground blind makes those occasional rainy, cold, windy days very bearable.  Even if you don't kill the deer from the blind, being out there, "pre-positioned"  thru the storm, allows you to quickly move into a better spot (ie treestand) the minute the storm ends.   Immediately after a hard rain storm is definitely a period of maximum deer activity.   That is a great time to be in a spot that offers a good view of a food source.

The rain also hinders a deer's hearing, both by the additional background noise and by softening the crunchy leaves and twigs.  As others have mentioned, that makes it a good time for still-hunting.   It also seems like rattling works better for me in a light rain.  

As far as loosing a blood trail in the rain, I am actually looking forward to that a little bit.   I picked up some "bloodglow" a few years ago, that is supposed to make blood glow bright under the moonlight when mixed water.   If only the deer would stop dropping in their tracks or after a very short run, like they all have since I got it, I could give it a try.   If nothing else, having it available has removed any fear I had about hunting in the rain or right up until legal sunset.                  

Never took a shot in the rain, just came home soaked.  Especially the time I stayed out during turkey season about 1 mile or so from the car.  That was one long hike back.  My pants had apparently lost their water-resistance and got heavier the closer I got back to the car.

I don't mind light rain or misty weather,  Its good cover to move around quietly.  That also when I tend to see the most turkeys (of course mostly hens during Spring, or while deer hunting in Fall).

When it is cold and very rainy, I stay somewhere warm and dry until it lets up, or the wife makes other plans for me.

My dad a left me up in a ladder stand in the rain one season until he was ready to call it quits.  I thought I was going to slide right off the rungs while climbing down.  Since then I don't use a stand in the rain or very windy days.

I have killed my biggest turkey ever and 2 of my top 5 bucks in the rain, the turkey and 1 of the bucks were in torrential monsoon sideways rain the other buck was a heavy cold drizzle. The buck I shot in the monsoon I killed in his bed with a 15yd shot the turkey I belly crawled 300 yds and shot him at 10ft "funny story" and the other buck I was in a stand and he was chasing a spike and ran right under me I had to yell to get him to stop. Did I mention that I LOVE hunting in the rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I spent lots of days in the rain....

In 1989, on a 2 week float trip in Alaska, I got wet several times a day for  2 weeks....

I spent  quite a few days here in NY and PA in the rain hunting deer over the last 45 years or so..

Now, when it rains, I go over to the local Legion Post, sip a beer or two and talk to some of the other old farts about how miserable those poor guys must be out there hunting  in the rain...

I DID spend opening morning of gobbler season this year in the rain, but I was inside a popup blind....

• Like 1