Rainy forecast for opening weekend

GSchneidz

So here in western new york and many other parts of the state their is a forecast for a pretty wet weekend. Now I know this puts thoughts in peoples heads weather or not its worth it to go out and sit in the rain. 

Whats your thoughts, you going out anyway??

Pretty obvious for me, you know ill be out there!

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Ordinarily I wouldn't bow hunt a lot in the rain, especially this early. Just get too worried about losing a blood trail.

But my daughter was able to get a rare extended weekend and is coming up from out of state for her first ever archery hunt. We'll be out, but very cautious with the conditions.

its espically hareder to sit in the house because weve been waiting so long for this! good luck man

• Like 1

Ordinarily I wouldn't bow hunt a lot in the rain, especially this early. Just get too worried about losing a blood trail.

But my daughter was able to get a rare extended weekend and is coming up from out of state for her first ever archery hunt. We'll be out, but very cautious with the conditions.

Wish you and your daughter the very best of luck! So cool she comes home to Dad for the first hunt!

• Like 1

That's awesome. I wish my daughter would go out with me more. She is only 11 so I have some time. It would probably help if when she does go we could actually see something...

• Like 1

Gun hunting isn't as much of an issue as bow hunting in the rain.

I'm not afraid of getting wet, but it's not worth risk losing a deer because a bloodtrail gets washed away either! I've tracked deer with a sparse bloodtrail before and its hard (and frustrating) enough. Factor in rain and you have a hell of a job on your hands!

I use those umbrellas also for my own comfort and weapon protection, but they don't do anything to protect the bloodtrails from getting washed away!

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 2

Rain may not be good for bloodtrails. But that's all the more reason to make a good shot. I'll be the first to tell ya that I won't take risky shots in the rain. I have a weird way of calculating risk in my head when aiming. I take into account all aspects and give myself a "accuracy percentage". If I'm down into the 75% range I won't shoot in the rain. Anything higher than that and it's game on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around here there are hardly any deer tracks cause the ground is so hard and dry.  I'm looking forward to the rain to see where the deer are moving and on a side note our lake is so low we really need rain I don't care when it comes.

But yes I will be out this weekend one way or the other.

No, I don;t bow hunt in the rain, I usually won't hunt in the afternoon if rain is forecasted overnight either.

Well that's just not smart no offense.. It's a proven fact that deer will be on their feet right before a front comes through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a big front - I don't think it is going to change one iota. The pressure is dropping in the a.m. Saturday before the rain hits the Rochester area. Times up perfect for activity. Pressure dropping in am = deer moving and light rain in PM will have them on their feet. Doesn't look heavy either - one tenth of an inch or less. Sunday has almost a quarter inch forecasted. Sunday looks much less desirable.

Even if the rain peters out Saturday deer will still be up and moving. Monday is the bottom of the pressure change and it'll be dropping Saturday into Sunday and bottoming out Monday.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2