Long Island Hunting Questions

bernie55

Hi all,

New to the site here.

Recently I've gotten into Bow, and this year I want to try hunting out on Long Island.

Heard much better things than Upstate where I've done a ton of hunting.

I do have a couple of questions though.

Im thinking I probably want to try doing some bow hunting in Hither Hills, but can someone explain the whole parking spot thing?

Do you think out there it will be impossible to get an assigned numbered spot early in the morning, since there are no reservations except for 

shotgun season? This question goes for all of Long Island public land too, will there be no space?

Also another question,

I haven't done any successful hunting on public lands, so in terms of if I kill something, I know the deer has to be field dressed, but in terms of butchering

does anybody know anyone who I could possibly take it to in Suffolk closer to Hither Hills?

Also if anyone has any recommendations for public land in Suffolk other than Hither Hills, it would be helpful as I'm basing going there off the amount of deer I've seen in the

Hamptons.

Thanks!

if your a Suffolk resident the county offers spots you have to go down to one of there offices were you get a green card .they will give you all the places were you can hunt   from montauk to yapank  there are a lot of places to hunt county property there is no sign in  only on the sta te land there is a sign in on some of there spots after oct 31 ....go to   hunting Suffolk county parks.......also dec web site and down load a access parking pass for state land .........

• 3 months later...

I'm kind of in the same boat, new bow hunter looking to hunt in long island, I am upstate as well. I was looking to go down this january to try and fill another tag with either shotgun or bow. also was looking to do some small game hunting while i was there (squirrel and rabbit). 

Did you have any luck figuring out how to hunt down there? 

I think the shotgun season is for county residents only and by lottery unless you have private land to hunt. The bow hunting is good and runs till the end of January I believe, just beware of ticks and take all measures you can. Good luck.

6 hours ago, hunter said:

I think the shotgun season is for county residents only and by lottery unless you have private land to hunt. The bow hunting is good and runs till the end of January I believe, just beware of ticks and take all measures you can. Good luck.

cool that sounds good, I'll watch out for the ticks I've already been sick for the past year because of them! Do you do any small game or waterfowl hunting?

• 3 weeks later...