So who is not bow hunting opener weekend

rob-c

Me.  Not good enough with compound yet and even if I were, opening day is for me, the dog and the birds!  

So, no I'm not going out "opening day" for deer but yes I am going out "opening day" (same day, tomorrow) for birds and a mixed bag, rain or shine.

Wife is trying to get me to do some other nonsense tomorrow morning. I'm pushing back hard because at least last night the weather was only good tomorrow morning.

If it's raining hard I will absolutely not be going out. I have no interest in watching trees get wet, and I don't think deer like to move when it's raining. If misting or drizzling I will be out.

I'll be home. Made an agreement with the girlfriend I would save some weekends for her. Saw the forecast and said for you hunny I will miss opening day lol. Plus REI is having their garage sale this weekend. Figure I could pick up some good gear on the cheap. It's a win win for everyone. I will be out next weekend no matter what. 

I'll be out in the woods tomorrow, but not for deer.  My wife just got her first hunting license two days ago and I'm taking her out squirrel hunting.  Plus, she needs the experience shooting some more before deer season.  Early season bow never really appealed to me anyway.  It's too hot and doesn't feel like fall yet.  I probably won't be in a stand until the last week of October, then it's on. 

• Like 1

I gave my last bow to a young hunter ( son of a friend) about 10 years ago..

Never was very good with the damn thing anyway, even though I managed to kill half a dozen deer and an elk with it.

I finally decided that my skill level was not up to par.  Besides that, I'd much rather hunt ducks than deer...

• Like 1

If it is raining hard, I will not be going out. It is my opinion that it is not ethical of a bowhunter to go out in a downpour. Deer hit with an arrow rarely drop dead on the spot, and bowhunters are taught to wait awhile after hitting a deer, and then follow the blood trail to their kill. Nothing washes away a fresh blood trail like cold rain, and without a blood trail the chances of finding a kill are next to none. Some of you may disagree with me, but I would rather not go out than hit a deer and never find it.

• Like 1

I'll be out but not hunting hard...mostly doing real time scouting from blinds...here's the thing, rain they called for this morning/ afternoon...no show...I just went out and checked all cams and took some from the stand pick and took blind chair covers out...,picked some cabbage...Now Sat. is 60 % not 70% and changed from 6am to 8am for start of rain...

BTW as per usual the wind got wild here and I lost two trails and 5 were blocked...I do not feel like getting the chain saw out for the two totally block...glad it happen when I wasn't walking out there in the dark only one stand had a issue......Rob won't need to worry about my spelling or the Kindle corrections any more...:wink:

I would go out but we just bought a new house and we are renovating it right now. Stupid closing got pushed back and made me late. I will be scouting with a shot gun though on the new property for an hour a two. ! It will all come together though. I have a week off to bow hunt later in the season.

I'd be happy to pizz off my wife. New couch seems comfy ! 

I've never had a problem with the couch either

For me, someone better have died for me to miss opening weekend. You only get so many in a lifetime...and this could always be your last year, you never know. I spend all year waiting for it so I'm always out there regardless of weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

I am waiting for the October 15 Northern zone ML opener this year before I go out.   Two years ago, I was not able to practice with my bow, due to some major surgery.  Fortunately, that was also the year that the state let the cross-bow in for the last 14 days of archery season in the Southern zone and the last 10 days in the Northern zone.  Since getting a taste of crossbow hunting, I doubt I will ever hunt with a vertical bow again.  It is so nice not to need to draw with deer in close, and to be able to fire from a rest with a telescopic sight.   I can't imagine a situation where I could get a bad hit on a deer under those conditions.  

While I would love to see "full-inclusion", hunting both zones and having the openers about a month apart makes it bearable for me the way the rules are now.   I do feel sorry for those crossbow hunters who don't have the opportunity to hunt both zones however.   Maybe the state will get things straightened out and allow full inclusion prior to next season, but I won't bank on it or upgrade my entry-level crossbow equipment until they do.   It may be a while yet before the current crop minority of elitist, selfish anti-crossbow bow-hunters are old enough to realize that full inclusion would give them a few more years in the woods.  They still have a lot of fight in them as we will probably soon see in response to this post.                   

You know this is a special celestial event this weekend actually tonight.. It is a blk. moon and this may have them on their feet more during daylight,rain or not...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-moon-long-interesting-history-201053577.html

http://nypost.com/2016/09/29/the-moon-is-going-to-disappear-but-dont-panic/

Edited by growalot