Dicks Sporting Goods and Field and Stream

Deerthug

Ran to Dicks in Melville this evening to pick up some ammo. Traffic was heavy and the rain did not help but when I pulled up into the lot my eyes lit up. I walk in through Dicks as I normally do and lo and behold this place is Huge! They opened a Field and Stream next door and combined the two stores with Field and Stream dedicated to hunting.

They had there grand opening with a live band and the place was packed and hopping. People were dropping a lot of coin there tonight. There were tons of sales. The gun section is amazing and they were selling all types of firearms and tons of ammo.

I will definitely be visiting this place more often. I can get lost in there for hours.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

• Like 1

My buddy who I promised I would hunt with opening day wants to go in the morning.  Then we will do an afternoon to dark hunt.  Looking for a nice light safe tree harness.  That place is bad, I am going to spend more than I need to, lol.  I had to walk out of the place the other day when I purchased 2 stands.  It's a candy story for hunters!  I hope they have some good deals but really I do not need much besides rubber boots I am told to use for scent control and the tree safety harness.

My buddy who I promised I would hunt with opening day wants to go in the morning.  Then we will do an afternoon to dark hunt.  Looking for a nice light safe tree harness.  That place is bad, I am going to spend more than I need to, lol.  I had to walk out of the place the other day when I purchased 2 stands.  It's a candy story for hunters!  I hope they have some good deals but really I do not need much besides rubber boots I am told to use for scent control and the tree safety harness.

It looked like there were some good deals going on. I was tempted to spend a lot more but held back as I just recently dropped some cash on a new semi auto rifle.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Deerthug said:

Ran to Dicks in Melville this evening to pick up some ammo. Traffic was heavy and the rain did not help but when I pulled up into the lot my eyes lit up. I walk in through Dicks as I normally do and lo and behold this place is Huge! They opened a Field and Stream next door and combined the two stores with Field and Stream dedicated to hunting.

They had there grand opening with a live band and the place was packed and hopping. People were dropping a lot of coin there tonight. There were tons of sales. The gun section is amazing and they were selling all types of firearms and tons of ammo.

I will definitely be visiting this place more often. I can get lost in there for hours.

They did the same thing opening a Field and Stream adjoining Dicks in Latham NY .... picked up a new crossbow there !

Not a fan of the one in rochester, good selection and all but very pricey and bad customer service in the gun department. I actually prefer the local gander mountain and that place isn't great either.

Bad is kind. I think they have one person who works 20 minutes/day in that department. Lots of guns, nobody to sell them. I like the archery department and never have to wait too long to get arrows cut. I just enjoy walking around the store and love the animal display they have. It's just a really nice store to be in. I am on their mailing list and find their prices sometimes very good-they have a lot of sales.

5 hours ago, Core said:

Bad is kind. I think they have one person who works 20 minutes/day in that department. Lots of guns, nobody to sell them. I like the archery department and never have to wait too long to get arrows cut. I just enjoy walking around the store and love the animal display they have. It's just a really nice store to be in. I am on their mailing list and find their prices sometimes very good-they have a lot of sales.

Their sales are usually ok, dicks usually has bigger sales but they'll add match, a good example of how that's useful is that the dick's exclusive v-force decimator arrows are half off at dick's and not at f&s but i wouldn't trust the guy at dick's to cut my arrows (he measured from behind the nock) so buying them at f&s on add match is a way better option because as you said their archery department is actually very good. I work with a guy who's dad used to own a small archery shop and he said a couple of the guys working at f&s were old customers and workers of his dads snd he trusts them entirely. The gun department is too big of a hurdle for me though. i actually went in to buy, waited about an hour, and then left empty handed because no one acknowledged me. Not a fan.

10 hours ago, thatguy said:

Their sales are usually ok, dicks usually has bigger sales but they'll add match, a good example of how that's useful is that the dick's exclusive v-force decimator arrows are half off at dick's and not at f&s but i wouldn't trust the guy at dick's to cut my arrows (he measured from behind the nock) so buying them at f&s on add match is a way better option because as you said their archery department is actually very good. I work with a guy who's dad used to own a small archery shop and he said a couple of the guys working at f&s were old customers and workers of his dads snd he trusts them entirely. The gun department is too big of a hurdle for me though. i actually went in to buy, waited about an hour, and then left empty handed because no one acknowledged me. Not a fan.

I bring a spare arrow in whenever I need one cut ;) Since they are owned by the same entity, the reward cards work at dicks or field and stream and as you said they will always price match. F&S here is across the street from dicks. Funny thing is that dicks has a smaller gun department but always 1-2 guys behind the counter easy to see.

I have had good luck with both stores . Nothing bad to say about either one . I watch for their sales and use their coupons . When you make a purchase , you can go to their customer survey and get a $10 off a $50 purchase that can be used at either store . 

My new favorite store period is the new "Runnings", out of the upper mid west  they set up shop in Rome a couple of years ago and I have been doing quite a bit of business with them. They seem to have it all, a cross section of Lowes, Bass Pro-Gander Mountain, and Tractor Supply for one stop shopping, in the Rome store the inventory is huge. 

Al

Edited by airedale