2016 HuntingNY Archery Harvest thread

Hock3y24

Shot at 540, waited an hour I knew the shot was high. She went about 75 yards. Arrow passed through top of the shoulder and went through the ribs opposite side but never through the skin. I will say I'm happy with the NAP killzones, there is a 2" gash through the shoulder clipped high on one lung and made a massive wound on the second. Wish it would have exited the deer opposite side, but she died fast.

20161001_185944.jpg

• Like 28

Post up pics of your 2016 archery season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• Like 7

after eating tag soup last year i wasnt passing up the opportunity to put some meat in the freezer and take a little pressure off.  hoyt nitrum shooting goldtip tipped with a wasp drone 100g head she didnt stand a chance and went 10 yards and piled up instantly.  now to focus on the bucks.  

Doe Down.jpg

• Like 31

7:30 this morning this guy comes in behind me and passes 15ft from base of ladder stand while I've just hung up my bow to check weather on phone. Crap!  Quickly get phone in pocket grab bow which makes a slight click. He stops behind a tree nicely while release gets attached to bowstring and I come to full draw and analyze where I will have a opening. 3 steps and "thwack" as the rage tipped arrow finds its mark.  He goes maybe 50yds all in line of sight and piles up!  Only the 2nd time I've ever experienced that. Normally they go to the thickest, nastiest cover. 168lbs on scale and loaded with fat. Backstraps on the grill tonight! Good luck out there. Be safe.

Shawn

1008160834g.jpg

• Like 45

WENT OUT YESTURDAY IN THE RAIN  got a little wet not to bad  doe comes in at 15 yrds did a full body pass muzzy 3 blade shot was just off base of neck took out lungs and everything in the middle came out just before her nipps .....good mature doe  she went 20ft

IMG_3443.JPG

• Like 26

On opening weekend, she almost busted me from behind my stand.

This past weekend she snuck behind me again.

On Monday, I moved the stand to a different tree and cut down a few branches between two hemlocks.

This morning, with the stand re-positioned and about 5' higher, I saw her coming, and used the hemlock in front of me to grab the bow, stand, turn, and draw.

She quartered to me at 15 yards, and kept scenting and head-bobbing.  She was cautious, but not on high alert.  I had a small window before I lost her behind a second hemlock, so I aimed and took the quarter-to shot.

She jumped about five feet and stood for a second, and I thought I saw dark blood pouring out of a middle-bodied entry wound.  She looked around, but never looked up, so I hadn't been busted.  She then ran off, and I thought I heard her tumble, but maybe bed down, close by.  I decided to wait an hour before I climbed out of the stand and made any noise.

After about 40 mins or so of scanning around, I saw the arrow sticking up out of the ground, and there was blood on the fletching, brighter than what I thought I had seen immediately after the shot.  I climbed down, inspected the arrow, took a quick look in the direction she ran, and saw her dead about 50 yards away.  I got her lungs, and her liver, and a whole lot of dinner for us.

ThirdDeer.jpeg

• Like 36

80ce121840b60143d29a0ffc6c57ecf4.jpg
Shot on 10/4 @ 27 yds. First nice buck with a bow. Got the ol' buck fever going in me. I gut shot him on the first shot, thankfully he gave me a second chance. Nice heart shot with the Mathews Z7, rage hypo broadheads put him down 10 feet from where I hit him. Heading to Wyoming in a few weeks... This season is looking much better than last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 46

Sitting on the edge of my property where it begins to open up into nice mature hardwoods, with thick bedding behind me and a swamp to my right. Was checking the live from the woods out at like 6 thinking I'm the only person looking at his phone at this perfect hunting time. So I put the phone away and a minute later I heard a branch crack back in the thick stuff. U could here each step and finally I could see a deer emerge about 75 yards away. Through all the branches I could see it was a buck so I got ready. He was walking right at me and started to turn down a path that would give me a 25 yard shot. Then he fed back in my direction coming straight at my tree. I sized up his rack and decided if I got a shot I would take it. Well he was walking straight at me and turned when he was 5 yards away and just stopped  and was checking the wind. I figured it was now or never, I put the  top pin on the top half of his shoulder. I've never shot at a deer this close, I was also 25ft up my tree. I shot and watched my arrow with nocturnal glowing run away. I watched the nocturnal as he went crashing through this thick brush and at about 50 yards away. I then saw the glowing nock on the ground and figured that's where my arrow fell out. Went back to the house got the 4 wheeler and kids and came back to track an hour later. No blood from where I shot him so we all went in the direction he ran. Then I could see the glow from the nock and yelled I found the arrow, I shined my light on it and yelled it's still attached to the deer! Dead at 50 yards. Arrow penetrated the should through a lung and into the top of the heart. Heads goin to a buddy's house to get the skull bleached.

1015161943a.jpg

• Like 44