2016 HuntingNY Archery Harvest thread

Hock3y24

Not much of a story for mine really. Got in my stand yesterday at around 6:40 and then I turned around at 7:30 and saw a doe right behind me. By the time I got up and turned around, it was very very slightly quartering away and I let her have it. Didn't go but 50 yards. 545f9551e9f5f6d862ba5edeb64189bc.jpgccf152cccb6abaf6073884bf33a4f152.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 30

This guy snuck in on me this morning. I was looking left and he got my attention by destroying a bush 30 yards to my right. I was able to stand, grab my bow, and turn without spooking him. He took a few steps and turned to leave. He took one step and the arrow was gone. He went about 100 yards and piled up.
KIMG0010.thumb.JPG.d7e91283aa3428236eb4bKIMG0009.thumb.JPG.e9946771257225a10e0b8

• Like 48

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

Now that I am home with a better connection (wifi)...I can retell my story
Monday October 24th...
Got in my stand early and quietly...layed down a few drops of tinks...here and there up to about 7 yards from the stand..
I grunted a few times in the first hour of hunting...then rested it...
As I was slowly scanning right to left ..I notice movement...only 10 yards in from of me under some branches making him hard to see...he emerges this cover at 7 yards and all I know is...it's a shooter for me so it's game on...then as if written for me ...the buck turns head away to smell the tinks and I draw back....he then turns back broadside/quartering away slighly....and I let the arrow fly...penetrating where fetching still in deer and whole rest of arrow sticking out exit hole...off he goes...I waited an hour and got down....found him 50 yards away20161025_213712.jpg20161025_213615.jpg20161025_221524.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 38

1d656af4d48a60e7b26c0135ad1b8ab6.jpg

I harvested this doe last night in Cicero. She came out of a corn field with 4 other does and walked in behind me at 20 yards. After I shot she ran into some thick stuff but I didn't hear her crash. So I waited a 1/2 hour then got out of the stand and got some help from the landowner and his two kids who are 12 years old. We all grabbed some lights and started following the blood trail. About 60 yards into the thick stuff the boy yells "there she is!" He was so excited that he found her. My shot was a little back but clipped both lungs. The pic is not the best but my phone died just after we found her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 27

So, as most know, I went back for a third and final look this afternoon. I was 85 percent sure that he dived into the brambles by an old vehicle shed. This was where I lost the blood, and where the dog had repeatedly come back to. However, there was a ravine not too far that led to a pond. I did not see the pond till today. I noted what looked like disturbance going down toward the water. I also found 1 leaf that had what looked like a little puddle of diluted blood. I could not be sure. It was steep, so I decided to go back and spend an hour hacking through the brambles. I started to feel despondent and was about to leave after 2 hours. Then I decided to hit the ravine edge and slide down toward the pond. It was right by an old rail path now used by 4 wheelers. Pretty public area; I was not expecting much. I get down and walk the pond edge to the end. I am almost hitting the main road into town at this point. Unbelievably, I walk round a tree, after the water ended and there he was, just laying in the leaves about 30 yards off from the water. I am pretty sure he came right here and died not long after I shot him. There was no evidence of bedding down or stopping along the way.

It is bitter sweet. Glad I persevered, but sad that the meat is ruined. He was pretty stinky by the time I got there. I guess I am a 70 percent meat hunter, 30% trophy. This is the biggest deer for me to date. 11 points with a crab claw. His feet were huge. I remember being impressed by the hoof impressions as he crossed a dirt field. I am guessing 4 years. I spent some time with him, took a bunch of photos and then removed the head. I will bury it in a little while for a Euro mount.

Note the entry and exit points. About 3 inches back from the shoulder on the hit side and right behind the shoulder on his right leg where it exited. Liver and lung I think. I did not feel like going in for a closer look. Surprisingly the coyotes did not harm him. I have heard there are some big ones in the area. They will feast tonight.

DeerStory_07.jpg

DeerStory_08.jpg

DeerStory_01.jpg

DeerStory_02.jpg

DeerStory_03.jpg

DeerStory_04.jpg

DeerStory_05.jpg

Edited by Papist
  • Like 44

Ok , so I hunted all day with a lunch break and short nap. I saw a total of 13 or 14 bucks and 4 doe, it was nuts . 3 of the bucks were much larger and 1 was the biggest buck I've ever seen.

So the afternoon finds me in  " the thick stuff" a couple young buck here and there , then I hear running , I stand grab my bow when all the sudden the biggest buck I ever saw comes In Pushing a younger one like its nothing . The monster stops broadside at 15 yards , before I could get my release clipped on he's gone. That whole thing was a couple seconds.

So I figure what the heck I'll try and grunt him back , I grunt and wait, well this guys comes out of the corn and runs through the open part in to thicker brush , I grunt he comes back out walks by me at perhaps 20 yards, shot looks great. Watch him run off, I wait maybe 2 minutes as I'm sure he's down . Find good blood at point of impact, and basically walk the 80 or 90 yards right to him .

kind of a bird in the hand thing, yep I got lots bigger ones, but this was a sure thing on a decent one.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 39

Well I was out sick for a couple weeks and it was really getting me down.  Today was the first day (since my cold) in the woods and it was awesome!  My buddy Chris gave us the ok to shoot doe and any buck that we wanted and was decent.  Well around 9 am I heard a shot and crash, a few minutes later our buddy Chino said he shot a buck in the 120 class.  Shortly after the spike under my stand that I called in so my buddy could P left the area with 2 doe.  (They also heard the buck crash!) 

10 minutes later I had a doe at 50 yards and noticed a buck a few yards behind both just walking.  He was a good buck but by the time I found out he was an ok shooter he was out of range and did not care about my calls because he was stuck on a hot doe.  He was in the high 130 class.  Possibly 140 5 by 4.  Nice looking buck but I though he was young, his body looked like a 2 year old to me but his rack was really nice!  Possibly a 3.  I could have shot at him but felt It would have been rushed, did not know exact yardage and have not shot in 2 weeks so I was not comfy with the shot and let him walk.

After getting down from the stand to do the drag (One has a bad back and one has bad legs!)  I found the deer and Chino 40 yards from my stand.  After a few pics we cleaned and I dragged him out. 

Congrats Chino!  Nice buck!   One of these days I will get a shot on one I like!!!   Hope its Monday my B-day!!!

The ticks where bad on him!  The tarsal glans where stained black and he came into the Doe P!  The seeking and chasing is on!  If you can hunt this next two weeks do it!  Action is really starting to heat up! 

First pic shows how they can survive a pass-through shot, this was an existing wound (High shot close to spine), next pic is the ticks.  We have them just as bad as western NY.  Next is Chino!  Last shot makes the antlers look really big, lol.  I like that shot!  

imagejpeg_0.jpg

IMG_0967.JPG

Miss.jpg

IMG_0971.JPG

• Like 23