2016 HuntingNY Archery Harvest thread

Hock3y24

Ok quick back drop to this. My 8yr really wanted to get a deer together this yr. I've been slacking because I've just been buying.using single ladder stands. So our only option was a ground blind I made or a permanent stand that we barely squeeze into. So last sunday after we hunting in the am I had a double stand to hang and I gave him two options on potential sites. So he chose this spot where we sat tonight.

My brother bought an xbow this summer but since he tagged a nice buck already he didn't plan on hunting much so he told he I could use his. So my son and I went over this afternoon and got the low down on how it works and shot it a couple time came home and headed to the land around 330.

We were about 40 minutes into the hunt when I caught movement way off and could see it was a buck. He quickly headed our way. I grabbed the bow off the hook and told my son this might happen. As he got closer he started drifting to our left. He hit the lane way I gave him a baahhh and he stopped. I took the shot (42yrds) and watched him run a short distance and then into some brush where I couldn't see him. I keep trying to glass into the brush looking for any sign of him but couldn't see. A few minutes later I see a deer to the left of this brush in a little more open area and its him standing there appearing to be tending is wound in the shoulder area. He does this for a long few minutes and starts coming in behind us. I see all sorts of black stuff on his back side and I start wondering what the heck did I do. So I reload the xbow in all of this and he comes in around  35-40 behind us I baahh him again he stops I shoot off he goes. We waited for my brother to arrive take up the track and he was 30yrs from the 2nd shot. The first shot was just under the heart/chest area not a kill shot and the 2nd was a direct heart shot. It was awesome and my son was so excited through out the whole thing. We talked about it all they way home and reminded him were very lucky and fortunate for who we are and what were able to do.

So the bucks nick name is dingle berry. I've never seen a buck with crap and dingle berries all over the place. Best hunt by far super pumped. I guess I wont need my week vacation next week. Main frame 10 with a broken droptine that just measures an inch

KIMG0896.jpg

thumbnail_KIMG0895.jpg

thumbnail_KIMG0894.jpg

• Like 43

Last hour of a three day hunt I finally get an opportunity. I shot this doe at 15 yards. She hung around my stand browsing for a good 8-10 minutes before finally giving me a shot. It's been a tough year I'm happy to have her. Truth be told she probably saved a yearling bucks life lol, I'll hold out for a good buck now (they're all good of course)9c30d0b2d4285b6b63bce6fcdc2e9ba6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 35

My brother connected this morning from one of our best rut stands. Just got done with a rattle & grunt sequence when this guy came running in, he hadn't even got his grunt tube put away yet.. 15 yrd shot.
It was a little emotional since this was the first buck taken since dad was taken from us back in March.. I'm sure he is smiling down and nothing less than proud. ff18ae539e4a339540f9cf47c366cebb.jpg
1a9651948512758fd59a0726415b5789.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 47

Very happy to be able to post in this thread again,this time with a buck.

I also managed to take pictures before I half skinned the deer,I am learning something.

First buck ever with the bow in my second season,I am happy as a clam.

I did let a bunch of smaller ones walk in the last few weeks,but this one wasn't getting away.

He did not read the script,came in from opposite direction. He was being cautious and sniffing around quite a bit,think he might have caught some whiff of my trail walking in. He did stick around and even looked at me a couple times,but my cover was good. Eventually I was able to raise the bow and draw back. Had to hold ot for a minute maybe before he turned almost broadside and gave me a shot.

He took off and I listened for him and he stopped after 30 yds,then started crashing through stuff and then I heard his last breath.

Found him easily and then started work to get him out of the woods.

It was a double lung shot,entered just below the spine and exited lower third of ribcage.

20161106_170345.jpg

20161106_170338.jpg

• Like 29

Today I went to one of the farms I hunt that we have kept the pressure off of early. It was my second sit in a new set that I hung this year. I got there early this morning before sunup and got settled in. Right after sunrise I saw a nice buck cruising through about 100 yards out. I grunted at him but he paid me no attention. Through the afternoon things were very slow, but I stayed right where I was. At around 3:30 I saw some does working their way through the timber a ways out so I got my bow off the hanger and laid it on my lap watching to see if the does would head my way. About a half hour later I heard a deer walking behind me and to my right. I watched and saw the deer emerge from the brush. I saw the rack and as soon as he got behind some trees I stood up and got turned. He stopped and sniffed the air, curling his lip. I looked at the body and knew he was a shooter. I drew as he got behind some trees and aimed for a shooting lane. As he entered the lane I knew he was at 40 yards so I grunted to stop him, settled my pin behind his shoulder and punched the trigger. I watched the lighted knock hit I'm right where I aimed and he bolted. I saw the arrow fly out and a huge spray of blood as he turned and ran back the way he had come from. A few seconds after he disappeared I heard a crash and what sounded like kicking. I sat down, shaking like a leaf and called a few people. My hunting buddy called and said he would be there shortly. He got there and we started looking. 5 minutes and a super easy blood trail later I was standing over my buck. He is a 3 1/2 year old that I have many pics and videos of. He's the third biggest buck on the property and I am more than happy with him. My biggest buck with a bow and the oldest I've shot. 

First pic is the exit  last is the enterence wound.

IMG_7503.JPG

IMG_7497.JPG

IMG_7501.JPG

IMG_7502.JPG

IMG_7507.JPG

• Like 44

First day this year in the stand, moved at noon from a funnel b/w two blocks of hardwoods to a pond edge with thick conifer bedding on both sides due to the temps in the 60's and shifting wind. He came through by himself at 4pm.IMG_2279.JPGIMG_2276.JPGIMG_2277.JPGIMG_2252.JPGIMG_2065.JPG

• Like 38

So got to stand around 730 this am way late due to staying up late for election. Had 7 different bucks walk by today only got a pic of the 4 pt I called in to take pics of lol. Ended up taking a nice doe at just over 40 yards. Ended up being a terrible shot that I pulled left hard and hit 5 or 6 inch in front of rear legs. She died in seconds tho. Someone was watching out for me could have made for a long track. Anyway I'll take luck over skill anyday. First pic is 4 pt 2nd is doe I took7b67f9327f334a6a100bc60400156cf1.jpg7903db69231589c2f3a0ec7423f0b67b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 13

Today was a good day! Got a big doe this morning, wasn't planning on hunting tonight but 2 hrs before dark found me running into the woods where I bumped 3 bucks. Had another 6pt, spike and finally the 8 come by while in the stand. Shot him at 40yds, he went 75. And this was the first day of my 2 week vacation.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

IMG_0540.thumb.jpg.8ea208b98040d8fb4560d
  • Like 40

8 does seen this morning, 8 point circling the first ones dead body for a half hour. Shot these right behind my house, the nap sling blade did a number on them. 

I shot the first doe at 15 yards, heart shot she didn't go far. I watched her go down and about 15 minutes later the 3 other deer with her went right toward her body. As that happened a big 8 point came barreling out of the thick creek side and started guarding her body. I watched him from about 80 yards and tried bleating/grunting but he would not leave. Shortly after the 3 deer that were with my first doe cam back to 15 yards, i shot the next biggest one and she ran off, died 25 yards from the first one with a double lung shot. The 8 point did not move still!. i had to get down to be at work at 11 so i climbed down slowly and moved toward him with my grunt call from down wind. Managed to get to 40 yards but wasn't comfortable with the shot due to branches so i let him go back into the brush. All of this happened on a small area i got access to right behind my house (11 acres). Now i can offer the landowner and neighbors some fresh venison and maybe get access to a couple other small pieces of property.

IMG_2797.JPG

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 28

November 4 at 4:30 this guy came walking out of some brush to my left. I had been in my climber on State Land for 4 hrs. he was the only deer I saw that day. I stood and drew just as the buck was about to enter the only opening I had a shot through aproximately 25 yds. away. I watched the arrow drop a bit just before hitting the buck He ran about 50 yds.away from me and then turned right and slowed down.After that I couldn't see him. I waited a short time and then climbed down the tree. I found the arrow with the broadhead broken off but a decent blood trail. When I got to where the buck had turned and slowed I could see him about 25 yds. away dead. A large blood trail the last 30 yds. After being skunked last year I am very happy to say the least and the tenderloins were better than I ever remembered.

IMG_0557.JPG

• Like 33

Bottom of the ninth, two out...a big rutting buck comes trotting in, directly at me. I grunted at him at 20 yards. The leaves were so noisy, he didn't hear me. So I grunted very loud to stop him. It worked at 15 yards. Of course at full draw I settled the pin low, but he dropped and I spin-ed him. Took two more arrows to quickly finish him. Weighed #155 on a scale dressed out. What a haul dragging him out of the wood and getting him in the truck. But how fulfilling to hunt the entire season and scoring in the end on a rutting buck! Some times it doesn't end that way. And you hold out...and it doesn't happen. What a season with so many small bucks passed! Not able to close the deal on a lot of the alphas I had on cam, and some of those would bring me on the edge of divorce...again. I really don't need another mount!:rolleyes: but what a great ending to the archery season. Couldn't be happier. Earlier, I watched this guy chase a tiny doe, two scrub bucks were with him. A buck with both antlers broke off was munching acorns beneath me. When the Whitetail Breeding Unit ran by, he took off after them. But he came back soon to pig out on the acorns. That was in the morning, about 9 am. So I decided to spend the afternoon sit in the same stand. He came in about 4:30. I think I have him on a trail cam shot from earlier this month. His right tip of the main beam is broken off. What a blessing.

Me and the 8 pt. 1 .jpg

MFDC0011.JPG

11.15.16 Eight point with bow .jpg

• Like 30