Luna's Tracking Journal 2016

outdoorstom

Truly love the stories...Luna is phenomenal. ..
And to anyone using any of the deer search people and their wonderful services....please make sure you tip well as its a donation basis and sometimes they have 50 in gas just to get to you and back....
I can't put a price on this service myself...it's priceless...
Pay it forward people

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10/28 - I received a call from a friend tonight stating he shot a buck, was still on blood, and backed out. A dream call! We headed right over and about 100 yards beyond where they stopped, we found his 8 point. Just what Luna needed after three misses in a row.

IMG_0194.JPG

• Like 10

I was called this morning by a hunter who had shot a buck last night. White hair, some bright red blood, and a small piece of meat was found at the hit site. The hunter and his friend tracked it last night until losing blood, then backed out. Luna gobbled up the 100 yards to last blood, then went a couple hundred more before starting her high pitched bark, indicating a live deer. 50 yards further, with Luna still barking and pulling hard, we found a small amount of blood. We pushed the deer through the woods to the edge of a field, and from there it made a loop back toward where it was shot, and then into a swamp. The hunter called off the track at this point. I think it may have been a brisket shot.

11/5 - i was called by a hunter morning reporting he had shot a buck, found good blood and some bone fragments. I told him it sounded like a leg hit and if we pushed it, we'd have a chance at a recovery. I arrived an hour later and Luna quickly took us to the hunters point of loss. At this point the hunters son joined me and the hunter dropped off due to health issues. We went at least 600 yards beyond that point with no blood and I have to admit to starting to wonder if we were still on it. Right then, presto, there's a drop. Good girl Luna! A few minutes later, a deer took off right in front of us, but I could see it was a doe. We got up near where it had been and Luna headed in that direction. I told the hunter to keep a close eye out for blood to confirm we were still on the buck and not on the doe, and sure enough, Luna had ignored the doe. Once again....good girl Luna! We ended up at a property line and had a 15 minute break waiting for permission, which was granted. I gave Luna a sniff of some bloody leaves I had picked up and we were off again. We ended up going by the hunters game camera and I was happy when he said he had a card reader with him. Sure enough, there was the 4 pointer, 3 minutes ahead of us. That was at the halfway mark of this 3 mile track. The buck ended up circling back on to the hunters property and right back to where we had started. We continued a little past this point and then agreed we were not going to catch up and called off the track.
Worth noting is that your looking at the exit wound, the buck had been standing on a hill above the hunter.

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

20 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

In your tracking experience do deer often return to where it all started ?

Watching Luna do her thing must be great and very rewarding for you .her and hunter as well.  Win,win,win

Oh yea, it's a blast!  I see deer make loops all the time and come back where we started.

• Like 3

Luna and I had an unsuccessful track yesterday where we covered a fair amount of ground. Later on in the day, Luna developed a serious limp where she would put very little weight on a front Leg. Today, the limp was gone but I took her into the vet anyway. It turns out she's got a fungal infection on a couple paws. Pain meds, antibiotic, fungal cream for ten days, and no tracking for a week.

Is that the Huntstand Lite app above? Do you use it to mark blood while tracking and that's how you came up with the 3 miles? 

Also you have a Snapchat message, HaHa Ha

I have the app but only use it for wind direction currently but looks like I need to read up on it more based on your picture above.

Hope Luna gets better soon.

Edited by Zem18
Haha
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Zem18 said:

Is that the Huntstand Lite app above? Do you use it to mark blood while tracking and that's how you came up with the 3 miles? 

Also you have a Snapchat message, HaHa Ha

I have the app but only use it for wind direction currently but looks like I need to read up on it more based on your picture above.

Hope Luna gets better soon.

The hunter had that app and marked locations we hit, then totaled the difference. I just downloaded an app on my phone called GPS Kit that im going to use. Thanks for the well wishes for Luna!

• Like 1

I used this service with a man out of Hornell, NY last year for my buck. I knew the buck was dead, but he was in a field of golden rod and brush that was all of 6ft tall or more. And I did not want to ruin the land from a landowners sake, or a tracking sake. It was one of his easier tracks but he still drove plenty of miles and had 2 unsuccessful tracks before me. All I had was 100$ in my pocket and I gave it all to him. It probably cost him more than that especially of the others didn't tip much or at all. I would have gave more if I had it, just for the support and service I received. As well as watching the old boy (dog) do his magic and get super excited. It was a blast and I follow every deer search adventure I can. Thanks as always.

Get well soon Luna!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11/15 - On the 1.5 hour drive home from a track today, a hunter called and reported shooting a buck at last legal light last night. He was not sure where he hit it. He and a friend were in the woods tracking when he called, and said they were having a hard time advancing the track. I asked him to mark last blood and back out, which they did. Luna made quick work of the trail to last blood, which was only 100 yards. Luna had a hard time in this area, and I restarted her 4 times due to her acting uncertain. Finally she went in a different direction and was acting more confident and we found a drop of blood 150 yards further on.  We came to a narrow deep stream and Luna dove in and swam across, which I was happy to see because in the past she's been reluctant to do that. I had the hunter hold her leash while I walked a short distance to a log which  I crossed over on. Luna impatiently waited for me, then off went. A short distance later in this thick area, I found a drop of very fresh blood. Luna was pulling hard, but never opened up so we weren't right on top of it. We hustled through the area hoping to catch up with him, but never did. After 1.5 miles we pulled the plug, but I'm calling this a successful track.

• Like 9