Iron sites or scope for deer hunting when and which you like better

LJC

Except if you more interested in shaving weight off what your using .
Like in my case .
Scopes are definitely more popular these days . I was looking for a new light weight rifle not to long ago  and the one I wanted  you couldn't even get with iron sites would have to get a gunsmith to add them on . It seemed strange that  they would design a rifle to be super light like that and not have that as one of the options.

I don't know how light you are looking for but my tikka is sub 6lbs with a scope and 4 bullets and sling . My 454 Rossi is right at 5.5lbs with a scope 5 bullets and a sling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't know how light you are looking for but my tikka is sub 6lbs with a scope and 4 bullets and sling . My 454 Rossi is right at 5.5lbs with a scope 5 bullets and a sling.

I actually was looking to buy  one of the light weight tikkas  the one I wanted did not come with iron sites when I  asked if you could order it the guy in the store said know believe it or not . Wonder if that has changed .

Lattly been  hunting shotgun only zone so I just stay with the iron sites since your not going to be taking long shot with that anyway . Even the lightest scopes are going to add enough to notice . Especially with a 12ga  shotgun that aready  heavy loaded with slugs .

I have plenty of  othe hunting rifles 

Anyway the only thing that  temps  me to buy another is something super light .

I picked up one of those tikkas the  light version, was impressed would have gotten it if it  had iron sites  on it that time .

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

For you guys that are using irons just out of curiosity have you ever or shot a gun with a quality fixed or variable low power scope?

I use them on my 22 .

For small game longer range  you can't beat a  scope  .

23 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

No reason to use a scope under 100 yards unless you have bad vision, regardless if its low power scope or not.

There's no reason to use iron sights over a properly selected scope at any range unless the gun won't mount a scope over the center of the action or the weapon in question is a muzzle loader.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

There's no reason to use iron sights over a properly selected scope at any range unless the gun won't mount a scope over the center of the action or the weapon in question is a muzzle 

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

For you guys that are using irons just out of curiosity have you ever or shot a gun with a quality fixed or variable low power scope?

Absolutely, my 30-06 shoots sub MOA at 300 yards with a 9 power Bushnell.  I love that rifle .

Just for fits & giggles I used my 1-4 x 20 Leupold on my Mossberg 835 to shoot trap.  I had no problem @ 1X getting on target & judging lead was very easy. I don't remember what I shot, but I certainly didn't feel like I was handicapped.

Edited by wildcat junkie

On 10/2/2016 at 5:20 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

There isn't a time or a place where iron sights are faster or more precise than a low power scope. The military spent a few million dollars studying this in the early 2000's. The only time that sights could be better is foul weather. For me it's a 1-5 scope over iron sights. I hate high power scopes and only own 1 that is 9x and a couple 7x's every thing else is 1-4,5,or 6x

Finn Aagaard did a whole series of tests with open sights both barrel and receiver (peep), scopes low and high power and those optic sights with fiber optics (cant think of the term, you know the short tube firedot illuminated sights) for speed and accuracy.

If I remember right, there wasn't but a few tenths difference between the peep and the low power scope sights in perfect conditions for speed and the rest fell behind in the accuracy department.  The low power scopes won out for speed and clarity.

His conclusion, open sights offered no advantage in speed over the scope and the fact that the low power scopes put everything on a single sighting plane was a huge advantage over having to line things up. 

That from a guy who professionally hunted Africa for buffalo, cats and elephant for over 30 years, a low power 4x (early on a 3x) on his .375.  (he did prefer an open peep on his .458 for really big, mean close follow up stuff, like 15' close!!)

For us, or at least me, I'm ordering a leupold 3x20 long tube custom shop (swfa) for my 7x57 as we speak.  It's all the gun will ever need.

JMO.

Jaeger

• Like 2

On Monday, October 03, 2016 at 7:22 PM, LJC said:
On Monday, October 03, 2016 at 5:48 PM, wildcat junkie said:

There's no reason to use iron sights over a properly selected scope at any range unless the gun won't mount a scope over the center of the action or the weapon in question is 

There's no reason to use iron sights over a properly selected scope at any range unless the gun won't mount a scope over the center of the action or the weapon in question is 

I have shot both iron sights and scope. I started hunting with an open sight savage bolt action 30/30 and it was fine. As I began hunting other types of game in other areas in North America I became more accustomed to scopes. My main reason for scopes is that I can see my target and what's in my path to the target more clear than my eyes. Branches, brush , etc that I would not see with open sights.

• Like 3

For deer with in 100 yards I think iron sites work fine if you don't want to or can't mont a scope  it's holding steady enough that you have to worry about  the sites not the problem.  Getting the shakes when that big buck comes out is what's going to make you miss .

Edited by LJC
Mistake

For deer with in 100 yards I think iron sites work fine if you don't want to or can't mont a scope  it's holding steady enough that you have to worry about  the sites not the problem.  Getting the shakes when that big buck comes out is what's going to make you miss .

Or he branch that you miss with your naked eye that's 75yds from you.

They are fun for nostalgic reasons but no way are irons better.

17 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Or he branch that you miss with your naked eye that's 75yds from you.

They are fun for nostalgic reasons but no way are irons better.

Where did you get that idea from bullets travel in a curve the actual path of the bullet is different then what your scope or even iron sites see just because you look in a scope and it looks free of branches does not me your bullet which is traveling in a curve will not  hit a branch . 

Edited by LJC

Where did you get that idea from bullets travel in a curve the actual path of the bullet is different then what your scope or even iron sites see just because you look in a scope and it looks free of branches does not me your bullet which is traveling in a curve will not  hit a branch . 

You are too ignorant to try and argue with but just for giggles do you have any idea what max ord for 100yd shot would be even for a slow center fire cartridge?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You are too ignorant to try and argue with but just for giggles do you have any idea what max ord for 100yd shot would be even for a slow center fire cartridge?

My shotgun is what I was talking about first off and the slugs drop  8 inches at 75 yards if I'm not mistake when you look in a scope or iron sites you are aiming  at where the bullet is going to hit  is different then the path of a bullet I will post  a picture hard to explain in words 

You look through your scope your not going to see the branch above it or even if you do you  and aim your crosshairs lower  and think that if you aim below the branch your not going to hit that branch chances are you will be wrong 

9 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Thanks for the lesson in trajectory and ballistics, LJC..

I know I just learned a lot.

Now if we can just get that silly 7600 dude to understand it.....

I think he thinks he is shooting a lazer gun bullets drop as soon as they  leave the Barrel  does not matter how fast they are going . 

I think he thinks he is shooting a lazer gun bullets drop as soon as they  leave the Barrel  does not matter how fast they are going . 

I don't think you're the person to be giving ballistics lessons. Bullets cross your line of sight twice, they ARC. Honestly I'm not even quite sure what point you're arguing? But this clearly isn't your niche so you should probably let it be or take the opportunity to learn from a knowledgeable member...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk