Cabela's Sold !!

Salmon_Run

9 minutes ago, growalot said:

I talked about this last year...I believe this was the catalyst for them building in NYS in the first place...

That had nothing to do with it - A sizeable percentage of stock was purchased on the market by an activist investor - one who forces companies to divest, go private, and sale. The activist made their intentions known and Cabela's decided to seek a buyout. BPS leveraged their cash on hand and partnered with some well-known business to lead the funding venture. This guy is making a fortune - there is almost a 20% premium being paid.

That's it in a nut-shell.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

OK all this started last year as I recall...I ventured that there was some ..many back room, investor discussions going on. Reason for my statement  and talks on taking advantage of state incentives for "Cabelas" coming in to NYS seeing BP was already here...Which would have sweetened the pot ...but It probably was just a straight up no negotiation sale.

Cabela's was the only brick and mortar store I bought from I'm buying local for now on, I can't stand BPS. Last time I was at BPS I stood in line to see a pistol for an hour at which I asked several times is there someone to help me and just get looked over the 3 or 4 people that walked up after me. The one other time I went in to ask about a long gun (Tikka T3 hunter) just to see if they could order and a few particulars about the gun (like did it include scope rings, and would they fit a standard 1" bore scope) and I was blown off like I didn't matter. This was all at the Auburn store so I can't speak for all BPS but my experience has less than satisfying each time. Field and Stream is a joke as well, glorified dick's. I'll be shopping at Runnings in Geneva, Beikirchs and a few local gun shops.

I have had lots of good experiences with Bass Pro.  Mostly it has been internet and and catalog purchases going back quite a while.  I still use the Garcia Ambassader 5500C fishing reel and Eagle silent 60 flasher that I bought from my first catalog purchase there in 1981.   By charging all of my business travel expenses and gas to my BPS card, and paying it off every month, most of my sporting equipment has been free for the last 10 years or so.  I have also been up to the store in Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario a few times and the staff there is extremely helpful.  I did visit the Auburn store once, and the service there was ok, but certainly not stellar like it has been up in Canada, every time.  

About 15 years ago, I ordered a pair of weatherproof insulated camo bibs in preparation for a western hunt.  When they arrived, they were way too big.  I called the store and they sent me out a new pair the right size, which arrived 2 days later  (just in time for the trip)  at no extra charge.  They even covered the return postage on the big pair.   That was the only time I tested their return policy.  Everything else I have "bought" there including the Bass Pro brands (Red-Head, etc) has performed very well.  I just got a new, lightweight, BPS brand spinning reel this summer, at a very low price, and it has been great.  Bass Pro Shops has been my favorite store for a long time.  Hopefully this deal will make them even better.      

• Like 1

I have had lots of good experiences with Bass Pro.  Mostly it has been internet and and catalog purchases going back quite a while.  I still use the Garcia Ambassader 5500C fishing reel and Eagle silent 60 flasher that I bought from my first catalog purchase there in 1981.   By charging all of my business travel expenses and gas to my BPS card, and paying it off every month, most of my sporting equipment has been free for the last 10 years or so.  I have also been up to the store in Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario a few times and the staff there is extremely helpful.  I did visit the Auburn store once, and the service there was ok, but certainly not stellar like it has been up in Canada, every time.  
About 15 years ago, I ordered a pair of weatherproof insulated camo bibs in preparation for a western hunt.  When they arrived, they were way too big.  I called the store and they sent me out a new pair the right size, which arrived 2 days later  (just in time for the trip)  at no extra charge.  They even covered the return postage on the big pair.   That was the only time I tested their return policy.  Everything else I have "bought" there including the Bass Pro brands (Red-Head, etc) has performed very well.  I just got a new, lightweight, BPS brand spinning reel this summer, at a very low price, and it has been great.  Bass Pro Shops has been my favorite store for a long time.  Hopefully this deal will make them even better.      

I finally wore out the two baitcasters I bought at the first BPS in Missouri in 1987. I should try and return them lol

21 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Cabela's was the only brick and mortar store I bought from I'm buying local for now on, I can't stand BPS. Last time I was at BPS I stood in line to see a pistol for an hour at which I asked several times is there someone to help me and just get looked over the 3 or 4 people that walked up after me. The one other time I went in to ask about a long gun (Tikka T3 hunter) just to see if they could order and a few particulars about the gun (like did it include scope rings, and would they fit a standard 1" bore scope) and I was blown off like I didn't matter. This was all at the Auburn store so I can't speak for all BPS but my experience has less than satisfying each time. Field and Stream is a joke as well, glorified dick's. I'll be shopping at Runnings in Geneva, Beikirchs and a few local gun shops.

Wanted to edit this yesterday but I meant Runnings in Canandaguia.