Iroquois wildlife refuge hunting

Gencountyzeek

I posted this morning but I guess it didnt show up. You have to print out their permission slip and carry it with you. Sometimes the gates arent open and you cant drive in but I believe you can still walk in. Could be a few mile walk though. I only hunted it a couple times in late gun. I did mark a tree for climbing in bow but with the does only rule last year I didnt go. If you ever want to meet out there and tag team it id be on board

I would second the idea of giving it a try. Drove around the area some post season with the intention of giving it a try this year. I think certain portions of the refugee are off limits for periods of the year.

There is also Oak Orchard there which adds another huge piece of land to the mix and that is all open I believe.

13 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I posted this morning but I guess it didnt show up. You have to print out their permission slip and carry it with you. Sometimes the gates arent open and you cant drive in but I believe you can still walk in. Could be a few mile walk though. I only hunted it a couple times in late gun. I did mark a tree for climbing in bow but with the does only rule last year I didnt go. If you ever want to meet out there and tag team it id be on board

ever hunt the tonawanda wma?

It's a good place to hunt.  I go with Bow there every year, and have seen some pretty nice deer.  Print, sign and keep the permit on you.  The permit has a map, but pretty low res, no hunting zone by where I go is clearly marked though.  No perm. stands, label your climber, and follow the rules on the permit.  I try to find places where the woods hits the road, and walk in from there, plenty of places to go, just need to do a bit of walking.  Low water now, but you can still find places where it gets pretty wet in the woods, so rubber boots are a good idea until you figure out where you want to go.  There are a lot of areas that are easy to walk into without getting wet.  Gets crowded on the weekends during gun (where I go anyway)  Make sure you wear the right amount of blaze orange (400 sq in, I think) during gun  Good Hunting!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 16. ga hunter said:

Anything off sour spring gets a lot of pressure. Not that it can't be good hunting but there is a lot of pressure there. The best hunting is deep into the swamps. But the drags tend to suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly you shot a great buck there last year and said the drag out wasn't so joyous. 

Where I went in I ended up about in the middle between sour springs and 63. R u recommending the west side of 63? Looks like I'd need waders to get in there.

Nope your good to go there... most are on the east side of sour springs. If your in the middle most will stay either closer to sour springs or closer to 63. Hip boots are best for all of it.

Not a problem... there are still areas I have yet to explore out there. It's hard to gauge this year as water levels are very low. Areas are accessible that are usually swamped out. If you decide you enjoy the area hip boots are a good investment. Will be out that way this weekend with my cocker hunting woodcock and maybe taking some pheasants.