Whats everyone have?>

My gun collection is quickly rising and I would like to  get a safe that is of decent quality at a good price. Anyone have any experience with Liberty? I am looking at the Centuion model that holds 24. Gander has them for 699.99. I am not looking to break the bank going over 2k. 

All I can say if it says 24 it doesn't hold 24 if you have guns with scopes on them which I assume is a given. As TurkeyFeather said always buy bigger. Nothing wrong with having dead space, but it's always a problem when you run out of space. 

• Like 2

I had a large Liberty safe at my old home, was about 72" x 36" x 42" if I remember correctly.  Weighed about 1200lbs and cost me close to $1200 back in the 80's.  It was solid as a rock and fireproof.

If you're putting it in the basement, it will probably be a capital improvement as it's hard to get them back out.  I had to hire a company to remove it when we sold the house and that cost me another $700 and they got to keep the safe!

Great safes tho'.  Put all the family jewelry etc in it when the folks went to fla. 

Point is, if you are buying a big heavy fireproof safe, keep in mind it may become a permanent part of the house or cost a lot to remove. (buyers of our house didn't want it and we had to remove it at our cost).

50 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

All I can say if it says 24 it doesn't hold 24 if you have guns with scopes on them which I assume is a given. As TurkeyFeather said always buy bigger. Nothing wrong with having dead space, but it's always a problem when you run out of space. 

yup they don't hold nearly as many as they say, a lot of manufacturers will count handguns in the total capacity unless listed separately. 

I have a Liberty Colonial with the mechanical lock, good fire rating for the package compared to some. No issues, happy with purchase. Bought from dealer not box store and got a great deal on a floor model....but I have the equipment required to move heavy stuff by myself so no delivery was required. 

I have almost all QD scopes, so I store close to rated number by putting some barrel down and some up. I also sleeve all my guns except a few at the front I want easier access too, so they can be nested tight. I also modified the stock interior to a custom configuration and that helps.

But yes, buy bigger is possible; all safe folks are optimistic on gun count.

• Like 1

Buy bigger, if going into basement bolt it down, and in a corner if possible to limit the use of crow bars to attack it . Try and install it where it'll be out of sight of causual visitors, i.e. Workmen , the babysitters boyfriend and so on .

I also removed the name off mine, YouTube is full of videos of how to break into all kinds of gun safes , some are scary simple to break into . 

Liberty and Browning seem to be good mid range ones, most of the other box store ones are little more then metal lockers dressed up as safes, which may meet the needs of folks looking to,keep their kids and sneak  thieves out of .

Often people buy a cheap one then put all their guns, jewelry , cameras , binos and other valuables in one handy location , and anyone with the Internet and a few minutes can clean it out .

dont know your price range but Google residential security container ( rsc ).

The best solution is to live in an area that is not populated with criminals who have a belief that they're somehow entitled to other people's stuff. I realize that many can't do this, in which case I would recommend the best safe that you that you can get, even if means sacrificing on the household budget in some way.

I am on my second Liberty safe......I grew out of my 24 gun safe the day it was delivered. I now have a 28 gun safe and bought a cheap Stack-on that I keep my muzzleloaders and shotguns in. I also purchased a locking metal cabinet at Sam's Club that I put all my ammo and powder in, this frees room up in your safe. I agree with Turkeyfeathers....Buy bigger than you need.

Blackpowder28

I too have a Liberty 35 gun. I like it, I put the pistol door organizer in it which helps a ton. It holds like 10 small frame pistols and I think I have like 24 long guns in there but it's like playing jenga getting them out. Wasn't fun going up stairs either at 700lbs...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1