3rd time in a row this happened. Why?

regulat0r

i was hoping some of you veteran and seasoned bowhunters can share some thoughts on something that has happened to me for the past 3 deer I have shot with my bow. I shot a mature doe just after legal light this morning. Everything about the shot felt right and i watched through my sight as my arrow slipped right behind her shoulder. SHe took off and didnt make it more than 50 yards. I let her settle for over an hour then climbed down to retrieve her. I went to the spot where I shot her and found the same scene as the last 2 deer I have shot. I found the back 1/3 of my arrow (covered in bright red blood) laying right where she was standing when I shot. I followed a thick blood trail right to my deer where I found the front 2/3 of my arrow laying next to her. What makes this weird is the same exact thing has happened with the last 2 deer I shot as well. 1 doe and 1 buck. All 3 deer were great shots with good blood trail. I bought a new bow this year and all three were with different arrow brands. All 3 deer had the back of the arrow laying where I shot and the front of the arrow laying next to the deer. Anybody have an explanation for this??? Thanks!

You hit the deer good but not a pass through. Maybe hit ribs or far shoulder, blades not sharpest or light arrows....not sure unless I looked at it. Any hows when the deer kicks into motion the force of that front leg coming back snaps that arrow off quicker than hot knife in butter. By the way you don't need pass throughs you're killing deer fine. Two holes do leave better blood trails though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Happened on my last deer a week back though I never did find the front of the arrow...anywhere. No idea where it went, and the deer didn't make it far. I think you did what I did: shot far enough forward that the shoulder was able to snap it, that simple...

It sounds like broadhead made it most of the way thru at the shot, but was stopped by the front leg on the opposite side.  The back third of the arrow was sheared off when her front leg (towards you) came back at the start of her death run.   The front 2/3 came out when her front leg on the other side buckled and she fell down dead.   I would guess that she was slightly quartering away, just like the other two.   Broadside would have been a pass thru.   Personally, I like quartering away because it gives a little more room for error.  The only downside is it costs you a shaft and the blood trail can be tougher without an exit wound. Congrats on the doe, that should be some good eating.     

If the arrow stays in - even better.  Whats the problem?  Are these aluminum arrows?  I don't see any other way they can break.  The arrow breaking off can have its advantages as well - tells you penetration.  it sounds like all deer have kicked back and broke the arrow.  And that means it has been right in the crease.  And all three deer have died in sight and have been easy to find.

A lot of hunters probably wish they had your "problems".  Congrats on the doe.  :drinks:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LetEmGrow said:

If the arrow stays in - even better.  Whats the problem?  Are these aluminum arrows?  I don't see any other way they can break.  The arrow breaking off can have its advantages as well - tells you penetration.  it sounds like all deer have kicked back and broke the arrow.  And that means it has been right in the crease.  And all three deer have died in sight and have been easy to find.

A lot of hunters probably wish they had your "problems".  Congrats on the doe.  :drinks:

Yup. I agree with this...  

Not always possible, but maybe can try shooting for double lungs. Never had a single issue punching both lungs, and most times you get a pass through, saving your arrows.  

I'm struggling just to get a slick head in bow range, so congrats on the 3 deer bud!  

Pretty much the same thing happened on the doe I shot a few days ago. She was slightly quartering away and the arrow must have hit the opposite leg on the way out. I never did find the front half of the arrow,but the back third was in the chest cavity. The opposite leg was broken where the broadhead hit. It was a muzzy fixed blade and did a pretty crazy amount of damage. Went through two ribs and not quite the leg. I only shoot 55 #.

The deer still made it about 80 yds. Amazing critters. I would have died on the spot...

Same happened to me on last years doe but I did pick my arm up slightly on the shot.  That can result in a bad flight for the arrow.  Did you move your arm at all on the shot?  If not then I would say double check your flight to see if the arrow is flying true.  If your arrows paper tune good and shoot left and right even out to long distance, I would not change anything on the bow. 

If the deer jumped at the same time as the shot this would have the same effect.  Almost the same as the front leg braking the arrow I would think.  Did the deer jump the string?  Might be a penetration issue with the rage open after entry into the chest but the damage they do is worth not having an exit every time. IMO

Otherwise like stated, nothing wrong with loosing an arrow for each deer, keep up the good work and Congrats on the Doe!

If your bow is not properly tuned you are loosing a lot of your KE. As far as killing efficiency there is nothing better than a razor sharp broadhead swinging around in the vitals every step a deer takes.

Me personally I hold a little back on a quartering away shot because I want a pass thru and avoid hitting oposite shoulder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk