Youth

njg0621

24 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

OP I sense your concern for people teaching kids did you after hours but having a child kill a deer instead of you concerning you seem silly

Man you really have to watch what you say on this forum! I am not sure if what you said there was English but my post was just to ask if everyone noticed more shots than usual.  I wouldn't say I'm "concerned" with if someone shot the monster I'm after.  I will tell you this though you are lying if you tell me it wouldn't bug you just a tad if a random stranger no matter what their age was shot the giant you have been hunting.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njg0621 said:

Man you really have to watch what you say on this forum! I am not sure if what you said there was English but my post was just to ask if everyone noticed more shots than usual.  I wouldn't say I'm "concerned" with if someone shot the monster I'm after.  I will tell you this though you are lying if you tell me it wouldn't bug you just a tad if a random stranger no matter what their age was shot the giant you have been hunting.... 

Well you dont know me. It'd be upset if they missed. Let me explain something. A thief expects to be robbed, a cheater to be cheated on n a guy who cares if a little kid shoots "his" deer expects us all to feel the same. That deer doesn't matter, the little kid freaking out with his/her dad does. You don't get it well I can't explain better

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

Well you dont know me. It'd be upset if they missed. Let me explain something. A thief expects to be robbed, a cheater to be cheated on n a guy who cares if a little kid shoots "his" deer expects us all to feel the same. That deer doesn't matter, the little kid freaking out with his/her dad does. You don't get it well I can't explain better

Like I said the original post was just asking if everyone heard as money shots for youth as I did.  Honestly I just threw in the "Hope the 10 pt didn't get shot" as an afterthought. "His" deer? WTF?!! When did I say it was my deer? I like to see a youth hunt be successful as much as anybody else.  Once again if you were hunting the biggest buck in your area and it got shot by anyone that you didn't know I don't believe you if you say it would hurt just a little bit you didn't get him.  The moderator can go ahead and delete this whole thread because it is going somewhere completely different than my intentions.  Every time I post on this forum I wonder why I did...people just talk a bunch of BS. Keyboard tough guys!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njg0621 said:

Like I said the original post was just asking if everyone heard as money shots for youth as I did.  Honestly I just threw in the "Hope the 10 pt didn't get shot" as an afterthought. "His" deer? WTF?!! When did I say it was my deer? I like to see a youth hunt be successful as much as anybody else.  Once again if you were hunting the biggest buck in your area and it got shot by anyone that you didn't know I don't believe you if you say it would hurt just a little bit you didn't get him.  The moderator can go ahead and delete this whole thread because it is going somewhere completely different than my intentions.  Every time I post on this forum I wonder why I did...people just talk a bunch of BS. Keyboard tough guys!

You cannot believe me if you want. I'm not a selfish guy n it's only a deer. Nothing tough about saying that. Little kids are the future, mine, the neighbors n yours if you have some. Id be the first to help your child drag it n be proud for them. You oughta feel the same for everyone else 

The one thing I worry about with the youth hunt is the ease of finding the bigger bucks and setting unrealistic goals of hunting for thier life. I mean there's a reason gun season isn't in October and a reason why it seems more good ones taken with a bow. Patterned bucks can become dangerous to the sport by getting kids lifetime deer early and their passion may die....again can.

Also would be more than pumped to see any kid take any deer. Hopefully a big one but I also hope they are allowed to make the call on what to shoot. Not dad.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

The one thing I worry about with the youth hunt is the ease of finding the bigger bucks and setting unrealistic goals of hunting for thier life. I mean there's a reason gun season isn't in October and a reason why it seems more good ones taken with a bow. Patterned bucks can become dangerous to the sport by getting kids lifetime deer early and their passion may die....again can.

Also would be more than pumped to see any kid take any deer. Hopefully a big one but I also hope they are allowed to make the call on what to shoot. Not dad.

I agree 100% w whole post!  Times have changed the deer woods in so many ways. Let em be kids n lets hoot n holler over anything they shoot. Best memories of our lives. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I honestly worry about it hurting the youth...

Well I do too. Best thing unfortunately for them is a little rough time before a harvest. The work n determination keeps em going. This is why (sorry guys) I'm so against modern technology, least to extremes like when we take all the hunting out of the hunt. When it's too easy the challenge is gone. One year youth turkey I called a few turks in for my buds son. He moved n spooked em. Went to another spot n two came in, he missed. Third spot n 3 more came in, those 3 n previous 2 long beards.  Missed first two shots n rolled one running away on third shot. He never turkey hunted again. Too easy. Hmmm. The kid bird hunts w us. All the dogs are well trained. We usually get our limits. All he had to do is show up w shells. Too easy. He's now totally out. Some kids though eat it up. Guess it can ruin some n fire others up. All we can do is try n pass it down n cater to the kid. Imo the best thing we can do is teach em how. Taking an animal on their own at legal age should help stoke fires

Well I do too. Best thing unfortunately for them is a little rough time before a harvest. The work n determination keeps em going. This is why (sorry guys) I'm so against modern technology, least to extremes like when we take all the hunting out of the hunt. When it's too easy the challenge is gone. One year youth turkey I called a few turks in for my buds son. He moved n spooked em. Went to another spot n two came in, he missed. Third spot n 3 more came in, those 3 n previous 2 long beards.  Missed first two shots n rolled one running away on third shot. He never turkey hunted again. Too easy. Hmmm. The kid bird hunts w us. All the dogs are well trained. We usually get our limits. All he had to do is show up w shells. Too easy. He's now totally out. Some kids though eat it up. Guess it can ruin some n fire others up. All we can do is try n pass it down n cater to the kid. Imo the best thing we can do is teach em how. Taking an animal on their own at legal age should help stoke fires

Right I take my 6 yr old out in stand on windy cold crappie days as well as nice ones. We check traps at 5 am in 10 degree and a wind chill from quad he knows it's cold he knows it's work. But if and when we catch or kill something he's beyond stoked

Funny used to take my daughter at 3-4 years old to check beaver traps. Pull her on a jet sled. She loved it even though it was cold. Our season started than jan 1 for flat tails. 

Yea our long line starts after deer season till ends in Feb.

Few will be out early this year...
New fisher season Oct 25 thru 30

The greatest worry is not that the young hunters will get a false sense of hunting because they are out in October with a gun and are seeing better deer... the greatest worry is that the youngsters will never hunt at all. Any chance to get young hunters in the woods is a positive for future of hunting and conservation. Killing the buck of a lifetime on their first sit might just be the thing that keeps them in the woods for a lifetime.

• Like 9

The greatest worry is not that the young hunters will get a false sense of hunting because they are out in October with a gun and are seeing better deer... the greatest worry is that the youngsters will never hunt at all. Any chance to get young hunters in the woods is a positive for future of hunting and conservation. Killing the buck of a lifetime on their first sit might just be the thing that keeps them in the woods for a lifetime.

Idk it could I guess but I'd be more apt to think they will be happy with it and feel no need to put in work to kill another. Especially if they don't continuously kill decent deer. But hard to say

1 hour ago, nyantler said:

I set goals for myself every year. I shot my "buck of a lifetime" at 22 years old (161" 10 point in NY) I continue to go out into the woods hoping for that one that can out do my big 10. Now is it realistic no but a guy can dream. I hope my son takes what I do and does the same at a young age. I like to out do myself every year but that doesn't happen. Right now I am after a buck that scores higher than 137" 9 point I will not pull the trigger on any buck smaller. I would love to see my son whack a nice 8 or better 10 point but on his first hunt I will allow him to shoot anything he wants I don't care how big the deer ends up being. Long as it's big enough for him. I would rather see my son shoot his first wall hanger with a bow than a gun. Personally I like bow hunting much more than gun hunting, there is something about it I find much more rewarding. Reaching out to 200 yards and dropping a wall hanger just isn't as gratifying having that same deer 15 yds from you trying to to draw on him and getting that perfect shot.

To OP..This is a summery of what I read

Wow heard a lot of youth  shots..bunch of after legal hours...hope 10. Wasn't shot.

My take..he heard a lot of kids shoot ,but also possible after hour poachers taking advantage..hope 10 wasn't shot.

To OP... So did I ,but remember coyote season opened on Oct 1. That said...I'm sure those that are prone to poaching and dispise bowseason ,well some took advantage of that weekend..human nature.

Edited by growalot

Yes, the new "take my kid hunting so I can kill a deer and let them tag it" season. Teach a kid to shoot some squirrels in the head, jump shoot rabbits, wing shoot grouse and woodcock, or become proficient at turkey or waterfowl hunting. Learn about all game, their habits, and the weapons used on them. Not just the "sexy" game like deer. I guess it's not the same being proud of bagging a limit of small game for your family, as it is killing a deer. I'm sure there are some kids and parents that enjoy all hunting, but don't think it's the majority. Those that do will be the lifelong hunters and conservationist.  I rarely see pictures of parents and kids after a successful rabbit or squirrel hunt on this forum or in the newpaper. Also, I've heard a fair amount of "locker room" talk about "sticking it to the bow guys" with an "early start" on gun season. Sad to say, many adults only pick up a weapon once a year, and that's deer gun season. I don't see this youth season  as a bridge to lifelong hunting (other than deer) for most kids. JMO.

• Like 1

I just heard a 14 yr old shot a 8 pt in a block I hunt couldn't be more stoked for the kid. Bucks are not easy to kill there as they tend to stay hidden. We had not even seen that deer around so he just happen to be in the right place right time. Glad it was him

• Like 6