Long over due story!!

Chef

Ok so I promised to share the story of my first deer at the new camp! It's. Been such a crazy past few days that I'm just doing it now.

Ok so after numerous delays we finally had the closing on Friday around 1 pm, it took longer then expected because of a mistake by the lawyers and what not, after the closing my plan was to get in the woods right away but the women had other plans, they wanted to go to Walmart and get things for the house... Ok we did because I can't really say no to that... Finally pulled up at 4 and I changed grabbed my climber and headed for a area I thought would be good, got set up and found a tree. Nothing sat till dark and nothing, tons of sign and no deer. Headed in for dinner with my wife and partners in the camp and waited for jmp5000 to show up... He got there and we talked and decided we would only use climbers for the weekend. We loaded his into my truck and drove to the other side of the place a high ridge top to set his stand up for the morning hunt. We both sat the morning and again nothing tons of sign but no deer. We are staring to wonder if we did something wrong, but chalk it up to warm day time temps. Before heading in for lunch and a trip to town we do a little scout down my river bed. We realize that the stand I set up Friday night is in the perfect spot to catch deer crossing the creek going to and from the corn field. We hunt Saturday night and head to a local restaurant for dinner, with my wife my partners in the camp who happen to by my wife's cousin and her husband. At dinner we get a call that my wife's mother is being moved to a hospice, she has cancer. And we all decide that we will head home Sunday at 12 to go be with her.. We have a very large and very close family... Any Sunday morning my wife wakes me up at 5 and says baby you better go hunt, who knows how often we will be up here the next month or so with moms condition... I get dressed and jmp and I head to our stands. I'm sitting in my stand looking at my phone posting on here and I realize it just became legal shooting time, I slide my phone in to my sweatshirt pocked and as I'm doing this I look up and see the deer 6 of them coming up the cut from the creek bank. I stand draw my bow and settle my pin behind the front schlukder on the lead doe. I wait for the leg to come forward and release!!! Wack I hear the arrow hit her and then the dead logs behind her. All the deer take off, except her she jumps and then slowly walks away hunched up and very slow, my heart sinks, my mind immediately goes to did I just hit her guts... I wait a few minuets and walk to look for my arrow and first blood.... I find blood and am shocked to see that it is bright pink. We get on the trail and follow good bright pink blood for about 60 yards.. Then it drys up a big pool and then nothing... We head back to get my wife.... She is the best at following a blood trail, don't know why but she has the eyes for it.... She gets us back on track and within 15 min we find the deer 130 yard from where I shot her, in the thickest stuff on the whole property, only 50

Yards from the house. When we find her, we realize that she was way more quartered to then I had realized. The arrow went in hit one lung good clipped the other and exited through her stomach !!! Huge exit hole but completely packed with intestines.. We get her dressed out and back to the house to butcher, when my wife comes outside and says we need to go, my uncle called and mom is not doing well. I remember the propane guy telling me about a local butcher and I quickly call and drop the deer off, home we go. We get to the hospice and 12:30 on Sunday and mom is alert and able to talk to us and ask about the new camp.... All her family is there all 18 of us!! Mom passed at 7:00 Monday morning, it's been a crazy few days and I wanted to share it all with you guys. She was a great woman and we will bring many of her things up to camp! Even though it was a doe if I knew that it was all going to

End this way I would have had it mounted and put over the fireplace for mom.

31e1ee48c45a6e41f0cd4c64869e3512.jpg6bbc3eeaa3a92e610a05c7ab028e5de9.jpgdfb6ca81ce48d5a2df6c9d04c2f1468e.jpgac3c510ab2ff4818b5d72f565d56f5e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 17

That doe is special for sure and deserves a mount.  The prior owner of a tavern that I have frequented for many years had a "tail up" back-end deer mount that was pretty cool.  They had a lot of other mounts there, including big-racked whitetail bucks, elk, water foul and small game.  Many years after a change of ownership, and the removal of all that taxidermy, everyone still talks about that deer back-side the most. I think that's what I would opt for with an "extra special" doe.  It sounds like you have a awesome property there and it is great that you were able to share your story with your MIL before her passing.  Good luck thru the rest of the season.  

• Like 1