Trespassers

ATbuckhunter

So On my way back to my house from Salmon fishing on the salmon river in Pulaski NY, I decided to check one of my hunting spots because I know someone has been going on to that land for years, and I had a good idea who it was. Well as soon as I get there I see a ground blind right under my tree stand. As i make my way to the blind to remove it, I see a hunter sitting literally on the deer trail with a bow in hand. When I go up to him and ask how I can help him, he immediately says he's hunting on so and so's land. Well that can't be since that land has been in the family since before I was born. He told me he was told by that guy, the land was his and gave him permission to hunt. I told him it's not his land and that he should probably pack his things as well as the blind and not come back. He was very respectful so I re-payed the respect with respect of my own. We even walked away together and shook hands a couple times. He claimed they didn't see my stand but he was literally right around it. Real nice guy, but who knows if he was lying and knew it wasn't that guys, but chose to hunt it anyway. What would you guys do in this situation? I'm thinking about knocking on that guys door since he told me who the guy was. We knew he's been trespassing for years but let it go cause he didn't hunt, but now he's telling people the land is his and inviting people to hunt it. Land isn't posted but I think it will be now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We had run ins with guys like that at 2 diffrent spots we hunt , they talked like they were buddies with the owner,not knowing that both the owners are my best friends and I know that my dad and I are the only ones with permission. Always really friendly and respectful but at the same time ,lying through their teeth.

• Like 2

A few years ago, had a guy set up by my tree stand, he came from the state land that borders ours. We have the lines heavily posted with our names. So I walk up and say, you are on private land and the land owner would like you to leave! He tells me that >>>> >>>>>> is my buddy and gave me permission to be here. I looked him right in the eye and told him in a not so nice way, that I am >>>> >>>>>>, and I've never seen you before and to pack up and get off my property, NOW! I hate it when someone lies to my face! We have gotten a reputation for being rude to trespassers and having people ticketed, by having a couple close friends, who are state troopers hunting there. The only way to stem the tide of trespassers is to be not so nice, and to be on the property, a lot!

• Like 9

He might have thought he had permission. If somebody else is telling people they can hunt it sure sounds like he should be disabused of this idea.

He said he was given wrong information...the question is if he's telling the truth. He probably is telling the truth so I'll have to go talk to the guy he mentioned next time I make it up to hunt this weekend.

• Like 1

A few years ago, had a guy set up by my tree stand, he came from the state land that borders ours. We have the lines heavily posted with our names. So I walk up and say, you are on private land and the land owner would like you to leave! He tells me that >>>> >>>>>> is my buddy and gave me permission to be here. I looked him right in the eye and told him in a not so nice way, that I am >>>> >>>>>>, and I've never seen you before and to pack up and get off my property, NOW! I hate it when someone lies to my face! We have gotten a reputation for being rude to trespassers and having people ticketed, by having a couple close friends, who are state troopers hunting there. The only way to stem the tide of trespassers is to be not so nice, and to be on the property, a lot!

I let most things slide, but trespassers piss me off. I pay the taxes for that land and work my ass off, only to have someone reap my rewards. He also just had to sit under my stand. I won't lie he was squatting in front of my stand so I thought he was taking a dump which really pissed me off. Glad you found a good way to deal with trespassers though

• Like 2

Your lucky to meet a polite liar, willing to give you a real name as a permission source..That doesn't happen much...go knock on the sources door and introduce your self and then say whether you did this or not...I'm now informing you it stops and arrests will be made if anyone is found on the property...Then put an add in the local news paper(penny saver) that so and so does not have permission to allow any hunting on any lands belonging to so and so..This is for your local DEC and police as proof you tried to stop this...they like to let ppl off with warnings  if you do not press it...trespassers know this.

I had a guy I caught puff out his chest get in my face asking who the hell I thought I was? I instinctively grabbed his coat at the shoulder and yanked him around saying I'm the owner of this property and your shutting up and giving me your tag number...which I wrote down from his back tag...While he was telling me all sorts of stories and saying he's leaving this way..No you came in that way, but your leaving with me and the way I go...I chewed his fool head of as I took him to the far back line then down to the edge of property before turning to walk that 1300ft back to his van...where Mr B had taken down his license number. I was dressed in my blaze from hunting  and knew where to track him...no snow.... so he followed me down to be back up..Half way to his Van he asked to speak with my husband ,he may be more reasonable...can't tell you what I said to that without getting band...75.00 fine is all BUT never saw his face again. I don't recommend grabbing anyone..but being a woman his aggressive posture needed addressing and quickly, judgement call.

I love the........ I was just tracking a deer...     really? show me the blood and I won't call the cops...This is why all my signs have my cell number...tell the officers and judge all you want, but there is my cell number on the sign.....no more........ I tried but couldn't reach them...for it is recorded number if missed.

Good Luck

• Like 2

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Your lucky to meet a polite liar, willing to give you a real name as a permission source..That doesn't happen much...go knock on the sources door and introduce your self and then say whether you did this or not...I'm now informing you it stops and arrests will be made if anyone is found on the property...Then put an add in the local news paper(penny saver) that so and so does not have permission to allow any hunting on any lands belonging to so and so..This is for your local DEC and police as proof you tried to stop this...they like to let ppl off with warnings  if you do not press it...trespassers know this.

I had a guy I caught puff out his chest get in my face asking who the hell I thought I was? I instinctively grabbed his coat at the shoulder and yanked him around saying I'm the owner of this property and your shutting up and giving me your tag number...which I wrote down from his back tag...While he was telling me all sorts of stories and saying he's leaving this way..No you came in that way, but your leaving with me and the way I go...I chewed his fool head of as I took him to the far back line then down to the edge of property before turning to walk that 1300ft back to his van...where Mr B had taken down his license number. I was dressed in my blaze from hunting  and knew where to track him...no snow.... so he followed me down to be back up..Half way to his Van he asked to speak with my husband ,he may be more reasonable...can't tell you what I said to that without getting band...75.00 fine is all BUT never saw his face again. I don't recommend grabbing anyone..but being a woman his aggressive posture needed addressing and quickly, judgement call.

I love the........ I was just tracking a deer...     really? show me the blood and I won't call the cops...This is why all my signs have my cell number...tell the officers and judge all you want, but there is my cell number on the sign.....no more........ I tried but couldn't reach them...for it is recorded number if missed.

Good Luck

Don't think i want anything to get physical as this guy is also a father, and no kid should witness a parent in a physical confrontation. I have all of his information and will be talking to him as soon as possible. No hard feelings as long as he no longer invites people to hunt and no longer moves through the property during hunting season. 

• Like 1

There's an old saying that goes something like this: "Good fences make good neighbors". Perhaps that can be amended to say "Good posted signs make good neighbors". The idea being that in rural areas with large land parcels, sometimes the landowners don't even know where their boundaries really are. Sometimes they need to be shown. I don't know what your claim to the land is or what your relationship is with the landowner, but you might ask him if you could post it for him. Most guys would love to have you do it for them.

If you are worried about your land rights pay the money and get a survey tell the surveyor to clearly mark each change of direction with marker post and arrow. then all you need to do is go along the line with electric fence wire (electrify your choice) cut any trees that interfere with the line.

20 hours ago, grampy said:

My family has the same reputation after we pressed charges for trespassing. It was getting ridiculous and we were sick of it. We have good hunting property and want our family to wreak the benefits of our hard work not some good for nothing trespasser. We have had people ask permission and we are civil with them it's the trespassers that under our skin and aren't the nicest to. The last 2 years we had a zero tolerance policy and whoever we catch we call the state boys and press charges. Take their picture in our section of woods along with a picture of their back tag.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Big John said:

If you are worried about your land rights pay the money and get a survey tell the surveyor to clearly mark each change of direction with marker post and arrow. then all you need to do is go along the line with electric fence wire (electrify your choice) cut any trees that interfere with the line.

Really???

• Like 1

18 hours ago, growalot said:

Good Luck

This one is priceless, we have had this so many times during gun season just so they can push our property. We no longer allow retrieval unless they show proof it entered our property and the "it went right down that trail" isn't proof in my book. I need to see blood otherwise no entry. I actually had a guy go get his kid to try and tell me his kid shot the deer. I was hunting on the hedgerow of our AG field and watched these guys setup and push the neighbors property and try to use his kid as leverage. The worse part is the kid wasn't old enough to be hunting and not to mention what is he teaching that kid. I have a lot of dirtbags around our area and my step dad has property down the street and has the same problems. He is a little more extreme falling trees that have tree stands in them on his property and leaving these nice little notes. most of the time he gets a little scrap metal from the trespasser.

• Like 1

There's an old saying that goes something like this: "Good fences make good neighbors". Perhaps that can be amended to say "Good posted signs make good neighbors". The idea being that in rural areas with large land parcels, sometimes the landowners don't even know where their boundaries really are. Sometimes they need to be shown. I don't know what your claim to the land is or what your relationship is with the landowner, but you might ask him if you could post it for him. Most guys would love to have you do it for them.

He knows the boundary very well. He owns only one acre that the family sold him back in the 90's. He knows he's not the owner of that land...if you only pay taxes for one acre you don't own the 11 acres behind that.

• Like 2

I've involved the NYS Police three times in the last 5 rifle openers regarding the same two trespassers. These trespassers were physically confrontational and very threatening. Very aggressive guys who had some existing police records (I learned one of them had spent time in prison).  

Each time the NYSP took my report but told me that unless they actually saw them in the act, or if I had second witnesses, they wouldn't do more than just talk to them because it was "he said-she said". I had a one backtag number, their names, and one of their phone numbers.

I finally wised up and spoke to my local DEC officer. He was all over it and encouraged me to follow through with pressing charges. Thankfully, it's been two years since we've had an encounter, but that DEC guy put himself in my area on opening morning so he could respond quickly to my phone call. The NYS police were useless to me for enforcing trespassing laws.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
clarity
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I've involved the NYS Police three times in the last 5 rifle openers regarding the same two trespassers. These trespassers were physically confrontational and very threatening. Very aggressive guys who had some existing police records (I learned one of them had spent time in prison).  

Each time the NYSP took my report but told me that unless they actually saw them in the act, or if I had second witnesses, they wouldn't do more than just talk to them because it was "he said-she said". I had a one backtag number, their names, and one of their phone numbers.

I finally wised up and spoke to my local DEC officer. He was all over it and encouraged me to follow through with pressing charges. Thankfully, it's been two years since we've had an encounter, but that DEC guy put himself in my area on opening morning so he could respond quickly to my phone call. The NYS police were useless to me for enforcing trespassing laws.

You have to respect that DEC agent!

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, growalot said:

42 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You have to respect that DEC agent!

26 minutes ago, growalot said:

depending on unit and agent  I have found...

He was a new guy, first year on the job. I never spoke to the previous guy who retired. I was very grateful of his willingness to help shut it down. It's been two seasons now without the trespassers, but I still am on guard for them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

We had 2 other witnesses, my wife and my father. I tore this guy a new one because he was shooting over top of the hill and the slugs were whizzing through the treetop my wife was in. Scared her senseless, it took every ounce of strength for me not to pummel the idiot.

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

We had 2 other witnesses, my wife and my father. I tore this guy a new one because he was shooting over top of the hill and the slugs were whizzing through the treetop my wife was in. Scared her senseless, it took every ounce of strength for me not to pummel the idiot.

Wow, did you have him charged?

Not hunting related, but I had a woman pull onto my property last year and start picking my apples rite off the tree ( which, by the way, has a posted sign on it). When I asked her what she was doing she said " you have such beautiful apples, I want to make a pie with them". I said unless you plan on making me a pie you should empty your bag and depart my property immediately. She could not understand why I was angry until I told her if I did the same on her property she would not appreciate it.

I am sure she came back when I had left for the weekend, the nerve of some people !

• Like 4

Good Luck

Probably not the best person to be giving neighborly relations advice, given your track record with your neighbors.

• Like 1