Anyone going out for the early ML season up north?

Caveman

My group will be up in the Saratoga area this weekend sitting in the morning and evening and driving creek bottoms in the afternoons.  I'm already catching flack for my Hawken and iron sights.  I took it out this morning before work and shot a 2 inch group at 50 yards with 70 gr of pyrodex behind a .50 patched round ball.  My eyes aren't good enough to shoot much past 75 anyway, so I'm happy with that.  Now let's hope the deer cooperate. 

• Like 2

I am planning on all 7 days with my TC Omega 50 cal in zone 6C where antlerless are still fair game, then the first 2 days of Rifle in zone 6F with my Ruger M77 30/06.     It is looking a little warm early in the long range forecast, so I probably won't hit the woods too hard until Tuesday afternoon.    I will probably be spending more time chasing lake trout on Saturday thru Monday, and maybe a little grouse hunting.    I am prepared for rain with balloons and/or electric tape to go over the muzzle (thanks Stone and 7600), gore-tex jacket and bibs, and a tree umbrella.  I have had good luck rattling in the rain before so I am actually hoping for some this time.  Good luck up there.        

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Where in Hamilton county? I have a camp near speculator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myself and a group of friends have a camp in speculator. You don't see as many deer but when you do most of the time they're big. Going up tomorrow afternoon for ML and next weekend for rifle.

2 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

Town of Morehouse (about 20 mile West of the village)

Great area, been hunting there for years and finally we built an off the grid cabin up there for the family..I also am from Saratoga County !!

IMG_0134.JPG

I usually go up route 8 to get to Speculator and have seen some big deer hanging at a camp on the left side of the road headed north. Maybe you've seen it before.

Edited by SuperMag

I also travel Route 8 from Weavertown and have seen many a nice deer hanging over the years.

Kinda sad too, I remember when every camp had lights glowing, smoke rising from their chimneys and pickup trucks parked outside.

A few of the camps are still active, but so many have wasted away....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have been up there for 9 of the last 14 days chasing them with the bow and saw a bunch of deer and a couple reel nice bucks but didn't connect. Around my camp there is 10x more moose sign than deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you on the left or right side of rt 30 going toward Indian Lake? I hear of a lot of moose crossing there near the pig rock near perkins clearing. A couple years back one of the guys in our camp found a huge moose rub.

On 10/12/2016 at 4:47 PM, Wildcats160 said:

There have been some days while trying to work up a good load for it that I've wanted to wrap it around a tree and buy an in-line, trust me.  Luckily I'm too stubborn to actually do it. 

after two misfires on bear[Canada] & one on a hog[Carolina] i 86d it and bought the encore.

have you tried the buckhorn 209 powder?

Edited by rachunter
spelling again

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

after two misfires on bear[Canada] & one on a hog[Carolina] i 86d it and bought the encore.

have you tried the buckhorn 209 powder?

No, I haven't.  I've used 777, Pyrodex, and American Pioneer.  As dirty as it is, Pyrodex groups best for me.  I don't mind the residue either.  Cleaning the old girl up is as much a part of the ritual as stuffing and firing it.  

I actually had a CVA Wolf in-line for years that I sold last summer.  It shot great groups out to 100 and I felt comfortable shooting deer at 150, but I wanted to free up cash and dedicate myself to the more primitive muzzleloader.  There's just something cool to me about hunting with the same technology as the mountain men that explored the West.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nyantler said:

If you need me I will be high on a mountain in the southern Adirondacks with my Hawken, powder, patch and roundball... and probably no phone service!

What load does your Hawken like?  Mine is obnoxiously picky.  After a very long period of trial and error, I found that 70 gr Pyrodex behind a .490 round ball and Crisco-greased pillow ticking patch groups best for me.  

I use 80 gr of Goex FF black powder... .490 ball and hand punched pillow ticking patch soaked in a special mixture of Murphy's Oil and denatured alcohol. Keeps the barrel cleaner after each shot so I can throw a new load in with ease. Hawken is peep sighted.

Edited by nyantler

Well,

It was a great weekend at the camp. All I saw were a couple of skinny does; they were surprisingly skinny for this time of year. I also have a big bear visiting the general area around the camp and he is selectively cleaning the abandoned apple trees from when it was farm land. 

Any luck up North ???

Our group ended up with 3 good does. We put a bear out on a drive but no shot. Mine was at 5:45 last night so it was a late night. 2-1/2 hour Drive home, skin and debone and into and tote and into the fridge. Trim and cutting tonight. All in all a very good weekend, Except for the sunburn I got yesterday. I needed a tank top, shorts and flip flops. Should have been more but there were 4 misses in the bunch. 

• Like 2