Putting Down A Wounded Deer

buffalojay83

If they are thrashing I don't like to stab it's to dangerous for you. It's a crappy thing to have to do but I had to do it a few times I try to get on they're back and grab their nose pull back as hard as I can and slice from one side to other just below/behind the jaw. If it's a buck shoot them again. Too dangerous trying to grab them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Shoot em again at close range.  Not worth getting a hoof to the head IMO.

Right on! Not worth the risk of getting injured yourself! Especially if you have a sharp knife in your hand with a thrashing deer! 

• Like 3

I only had it happen one time with an arrow, in the daylight. I used another arrow, thru the lungs.  The buck had lost a lot of blood, from a high front leg hit.  The arrow had struck forward and below the vitals, and the broadhead and front half stayed in.  We had pushed him for several miles (that's a good plan for a arrow in muscle hit).  Each time we lost blood, the other guy would circle until we picked it up again. When we finally caught up, he seemed too weak to get up   After taking the second arrow, he did manage to get up, and stumble about 10 yards, before going down for good.  It is amazing how much blood they can loose and keep going.

I have finished off a couple, that had been struck by vehicles, with a knife.   That is risky, and  I took a hard hoof kick to the leg from one big doe.   There was some pain and swelling, but it was worth it, and did not stop me from doing it again ( a little more carefully).    Stay clear of those rear hoofs if you try it, and use a sharp knife.  If I had to finish another one after dark, I would go with a very sharp knife to the throat.      

If it's after dark and it's a deer that is immobilized like you say no eco is going to break your balls just put another arrow in it... god it's arrow no noise any way who is going to know........putting the animal down quickly is the right thing to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3