1st rifle

Red

I have been fortunate to pick up quality used scopes...

I have two fixed 4X Leupolds which have accounted  for a caribou at 400, a whitetail at 400, a muley at 300 and a moose at 300, plus numerous animals at lesser ranges..They cost me $125 each at gun shows. I also have a fixed 6X Leupold that cost me $160

on a hunting forum that has accounted for a muley and a few whitetails...I also have a Leupold 1-4 X which is currently on one of my turkey guns..I paid $100 for it used.  You can shop around and find good deals on quality used scopes.  Fixed powers tend to go cheaper because everyone seems to think you need a fairly high power variable to kill anything...The highest power scopes I own are a 2x7 Burris and an old ( El Paso) 2x7 Weaver.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

And IF you do get it, I may have some factory -06 ammo with your name on it..........

• Like 2

I have been fortunate to pick up quality used scopes...
I have two fixed 4X Leupolds which have accounted  for a caribou at 400, a whitetail at 400, a muley at 300 and a moose at 300, plus numerous animals at lesser ranges..They cost me $125 each at gun shows. I also have a fixed 6X Leupold that cost me $160
on a hunting forum that has accounted for a muley and a few whitetails...I also have a Leupold 1-4 X which is currently on one of my turkey guns..I paid $100 for it used.  You can shop around and find good deals on quality used scopes.  Fixed powers tend to go cheaper because everyone seems to think you need a fairly high power variable to kill anything...The highest power scopes I own are a 2x7 Burris and an old ( El Paso) 2x7 Weaver.

How could you possibly shoot 400yds with a 4X scope????? I need at least 9x on my turkey gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

That tikka 30-06 is really nice I'm waiting for the funds from the sale of one of my guns so I can purchase a rifle if my buddy pays me for my gun before  the tikka sells I won't hesitate  to purchase it

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I was once as closed minded as you. Then One day my brother brought home a Ruger box with an ugly black rifle in it and a leupold rifleman 2-7. Paid 529$ for the whole thing. I mounted the scope and bore sighted it. It was in 308 so I grabbed a few of my 308's as well. I had a blr a rem model 7 custom shop a 7600 and his American on the bench. Wanna guess what one shot the best group?

I own over 30 center fire rifles and 3 of them are Ruger Americans. I have a Ruger American American compact being made into a 358win right now.

I've shot most so nothing closed minded about it. Look it's like Glock, a friend of mine swears by em. My brother has one that actually shoots great. They're built on wide tolerances. If you get one on the closer end they do shoot, most don't. Now one cheap gun shooting better than another without extensive testing of loads, powder types, length of cartridge/brass, head types, etc etc means nothing. In fact it proves ignorance. If you did all that w only those two guns it proves lack of experience. It's like saying smoking won't kill you your aunt smoked 3 packs a day n lived to 100. It's a fluke not the norm

I've shot most so nothing closed minded about it. Look it's like Glock, a friend of mine swears by em. My brother has one that actually shoots great. They're built on wide tolerances. If you get one on the closer end they do shoot, most don't. Now one cheap gun shooting better than another without extensive testing of loads, powder types, length of cartridge/brass, head types, etc etc means nothing. In fact it proves ignorance. If you did all that w only those two guns it proves lack of experience. It's like saying smoking won't kill you your aunt smoked 3 packs a day n lived to 100. It's a fluke not the norm

I ran a rec fire range on base as the range safety officer for 4 years And shot at least hundred different Glocks and will say out of all of them I never shot 1 that wouldn't shoot better than me.

As far as ammo testing at the time I didn't reload but did a bunch of factory testing and was shooting what shot best out of each individual gun. The Ruger shot a clover leaf honest 5/8" group with ballistic silver tips and I kept the pizza box because it was amazing. I think my brother still has that same box of shells that I gave him after the group and he has killed 7 or 8 deer with it.

On experience, I have never claimed to be the most knowledgable in the reloading dept because honesty I couldn't care less about trying to squeeze a quarter of an inch of accuracy out of a gun because I don't think it makes a bit of difference. I find ammo that shoots consistent and performs terminally.

If I have a gun that shoots an honest 1-1/2" group with a 4x scope off a sandbag "not a vise or sled" that is more than adequate to kill any deer I want to kill.

Because something is less expensive doesn't make it inferior. Sure the cheap rifles are ugly the triggers aren't the best and the bolts don't open and close as smooth as better quality rifles. The fact of the matter is when you use words like "junk" to describe things that someone is asking for advice on you come across as huge asshole.

I have killed a good amount of deer with a rifle and have yet to have yet to have one not die because my rifle was ugly or my bolt wasn't smooth.

• Like 4

I have 2 Ruger Americans one in 243 topped with a Nikon prostaff 3×9×40 and one in 30-06 topped with a leupold vx1 3×9×40. I have the utmost confidence with both these setups and have never had any problems., are they the prettiest and highest quality guns out there well no, but will they get the job done Absolutely.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 hours ago, steve863 said:

Are you putting the Ruger M77 in your garbage category or just the Ruger American?  I would disagree with you on the M77.  Yeah, they use casting to make the actions, but I would like someone to show me one that blew up all on its own because it was made using the casting process?  Other than someone blowing it up because they did something stupid with it, I can't imagine the M77 action being much weaker than any other. 

If you want something that won't "blow up" get a LR M98 Mauser. Soft/tough core with hard carburized outer skin. You can "swell one up" & even perhaps spit out the barrel. but the actions themselves have a reputation of holding together no matter what.

Guy you asked us what we thought would be a good caliber  for your first rifle. The best advice I can give you is this, we won’t be shooting your gun you will be. Find a gun and a cal. You like shoot it if you like it buy and enjoy it. it’s your gun not yours.

• Like 1

Once you've determined a specific rifle model and caliber per all your research &/or recommendations from users - Do yourself a favor before handing over your credit card, look at ammo availability at your most convenient gun shop or big-box store. I did this recently and was amazed at the super limited availability of the ammo in the caliber I'd chosen. Just me, but I hesitate driving 50-60 miles to BP just to get ammo.

19 hours ago, Bowguy 1 said:

God guys, Savage? Ruger? Ugh I just puked. Freakin garbage. Look at em. Savage are rust buckets n Ruger is cast parts , bad triggers on lots of guns. Man I gotta blunderbuss the op could borrow. Shoots rocks but it's about like a ruger accuracy wise. Op do yourself a favor n get a decent piece. Cheaper in the long run

I have & own many Rugers & have had virtually zero issues with any of them. If you do you will not beat Rugers Customer Service. Your fault or Rugers fault Ruger will usually not charge you. One of my favorite in my arsanal My .308 Ruger American predator. can't go wrong for the price

20160721_151408[1].jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I ran a rec fire range on base as the range safety officer for 4 years And shot at least hundred different Glocks and will say out of all of them I never shot 1 that wouldn't shoot better than me.

As far as ammo testing at the time I didn't reload but did a bunch of factory testing and was shooting what shot best out of each individual gun. The Ruger shot a clover leaf honest 5/8" group with ballistic silver tips and I kept the pizza box because it was amazing. I think my brother still has that same box of shells that I gave him after the group and he has killed 7 or 8 deer with it.

On experience, I have never claimed to be the most knowledgable in the reloading dept because honesty I couldn't care less about trying to squeeze a quarter of an inch of accuracy out of a gun because I don't think it makes a bit of difference. I find ammo that shoots consistent and performs terminally.

If I have a gun that shoots an honest 1-1/2" group with a 4x scope off a sandbag "not a vise or sled" that is more than adequate to kill any deer I want to kill.

Because something is less expensive doesn't make it inferior. Sure the cheap rifles are ugly the triggers aren't the best and the bolts don't open and close as smooth as better quality rifles. The fact of the matter is when you use words like "junk" to describe things that someone is asking for advice on you come across as huge asshole.

I have killed a good amount of deer with a rifle and have yet to have yet to have one not die because my rifle was ugly or my bolt wasn't smooth.

Buck master if you've tested it n it shoots for you God bless you. Nothing about a smooth bolt or looks though to me that, good triggers, fit n finish certainly matter, they still have cast parts n imo are not the best. Shoot what works for ya. I'm standing by my old 700 or new Tikka recommemdation. If you shoot better guns than what you're using you'll see. Shooting Glocks at 7 yards n Kimbers at 25-50 is a huge dif. How many shoot that far w a Glock? Prob gonna hear crickets here. But quality n buy once. It's cheaper. 

Edited by Bowguy 1

Buck master if you've tested it n it shoots for you God bless you. Nothing about a smooth bolt or looks though to me that, good triggers, fit n finish certainly matter, they still have cast parts n imo are not the best. Shoot what works for ya. I'm standing by my old 700 or new Tikka recommemdation. If you shoot better guns than what you're using you'll see. Shooting Glocks at 7 yards n Kimbers at 25-50 is a huge dif. How many shoot that far w a Glock? Prob gonna hear crickets here. But quality n buy once. It's cheaper. 

Not once did I say there weren't better all I'm saying is glock makes an excellent gun and I have shot a ton of them. And I shot most of them at 25yds. My full size Glocks shoot just as well as my 1911's and I have done way more tinkering on the 1911's and yes 1 of them is a Kimber and it's the worst shooting and running full size pistol I own. Now it may very well be a fluke but the 2x's it's been back to Kimber they still haven't fixed it. The Kimber is one of the prettiest guns I have in the safe.

Back to the rifles the inexpensive guns rhe OP has listed are most likely not going to be passed down to kids and kids kids like some more expensive rifles but they will absolutely kill deer just the same and shoot just the same.

One thing you have to remember is someone buying a Ruger American or the others is most likely not going to develop a load for it they are most likely going to buy a box of ammo when they buy the gun and sight it in and kill deer. Not everyone is like you and I and enjoy tinkering with loads and guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowguy 1 said:

Kimbers are knownfor sub par quality these days.. They look pretty but I would never buy one. I own a glock and I'd bet I could shoot it just as good as your kimber. Now to the op... I've shot a couple ruger Americans and to some people's disbelief, both shot 1" groups at 100 yards. They both where fed Hornady american whitetail ammo. One was a 270, the other a 308. Both with ok optics on them. They were both buddy of mine rifles that they couldn't get out to sight in. My father owns a tikka t3 and it also shoots very well. 

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Not once did I say there weren't better all I'm saying is glock makes an excellent gun and I have shot a ton of them. And I shot most of them at 25yds. My full size Glocks shoot just as well as my 1911's and I have done way more tinkering on the 1911's and yes 1 of them is a Kimber and it's the worst shooting and running full size pistol I own. Now it may very well be a fluke but the 2x's it's been back to Kimber they still haven't fixed it. The Kimber is one of the prettiest guns I have in the safe.

Back to the rifles the inexpensive guns rhe OP has listed are most likely not going to be passed down to kids and kids kids like some more expensive rifles but they will absolutely kill deer just the same and shoot just the same.

One thing you have to remember is someone buying a Ruger American or the others is most likely not going to develop a load for it they are most likely going to buy a box of ammo when they buy the gun and sight it in and kill deer. Not everyone is like you and I and enjoy tinkering with loads and guns.

Fair enough. Wanna add Kimber customer service sucks n they're known to return unfixed guns. 

Edited by Bowguy 1

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Kimbers are knownfor sub par quality these days.. They look pretty but I would never buy one. I own a glock and I'd bet I could shoot it just as good as your kimber. Now to the op... I've shot a couple ruger Americans and to some people's disbelief, both shot 1" groups at 100 yards. They both where fed Hornady american whitetail ammo. One was a 270, the other a 308. Both with ok optics on them. They were both buddy of mine rifles that they couldn't get out to sight in. My father owns a tikka t3 and it also shoots very well. 

Never seen a Glock outshoot a Kimber. They have been seemingly having probs I'll give you that. Sold my Kimber rifle cause it was junk. Friends of mine have good ones, Id personally not suggest them. Their 1911s I've never seen a prob with. I have not have shot any new ones though.

Let me help you understand what I'm saying. If there's any dogs guys here theyll understand. Dogs can be outcrossed, line bred, in bred or sometimes what's called back bred. Through the breeding your objective is to stack the desired genes. When it works out which takes a bit you get consistency. the pups act n behave similar to the parents, our kids are not bred this way n we get dif personalities, same for outcrossed litters. If you would like dogs that act like the parents you should go for consistant/proven breedings., better chance of getting a winner. Before this turns into a breed thread impriperly done you get dogs w more probs. the breeding mentioned earlier cannot introduce genes not already there (in genes). If the wrong genes stack n you have a prob Its intensified.

This relates to guns in that you can get a winner or a decent gun of any make. Just like dogs you can get an ok one anywhere. But chances are highest when they're bred properly. Guns when manufactured properly. I only recommend high percentage picks. Hope that makes sense. It's all about percentages in my book. Hmm in other words don't get married cause the odds are against ya

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1

Let me help you understand what I'm saying. If there's any dogs guys here theyll understand. Dogs can be outcrossed, line bred, in bred or sometimes what's called back bred. Through the breeding your objective is to stack the desired genes. When it works out which takes a bit you get consistency. the pups act n behave similar to the parents, our kids are not bred this way n we get dif personalities, same for outcrossed litters. If you would like dogs that act like the parents you should go for consistant/proven breedings., better chance of getting a winner. Before this turns into a breed thread impriperly done you get dogs w more probs. the breeding mentioned earlier cannot introduce genes not already there (in genes). If the wrong genes stack n you have a prob Its intensified.
This relates to guns in that you can get a winner or a decent gun of any make. Just like dogs you can get an ok one anywhere. But chances are highest when they're bred properly. Guns when manufactured properly. I only recommend high percentage picks. Hope that makes sense. It's all about percentages in my book. Hmm in other words don't get married cause the odds are against ya

Good analogy and I somewhat agree. Difference is if your rifle is a junk you have a the company's CS to deal with, hopefully they will get it right or get you a new one. With dogs if you get a dud your screwed.

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Good analogy and I somewhat agree. Difference is if your rifle is a junk you have a the company's CS to deal with, hopefully they will get it right or get you a new one. With dogs if you get a dud your screwed.

A gun can last a life time actually several life times if you take care of it. So its,worth  to spend a little more and get something  you really want. Then  something  that you will  regret later on. 

I have a shotgun from my grandfather and it   still in perfect working condition for example.  

• Like 1

If the dogs a dud you shoot it with the rifle. Brought the whole analogy right back around for you all

• Like 3