S.o.p. For roadkills

zeus1gdsm

2 years ago a car in front of me hit a big 9. Troopers came asked the driver of the car that hit it if he wanted it. Driver didn't want it. The trooper put a tag on it and we loaded into my truck. Long story short. 66 lbs of good venison. With the loss of a hind quarter. I hate seeing good meat go to waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hit many deer ( double digits) with my car .one time 5 in one year..  They can be good I usually take the deer and take back straps and. Hind quarters. Rest is coyote food..don't even gut it. 

The only time i stop for fresh roadkill is now for next 3 weeks and I quickly remove the Tarsal glands. If not bloodied up.. And more than 3 miles from my house..buck doe doesn't matter I keep a zip lock baggy in my car for this purpose.. Can't beat them. For deer attracting. I've even stoped and cut them. Off someone else's deer they just got if they will let me.

And most people never know they are missing if they want the meat it's all there. 

Being retired LE, that's correct advice to get it tagged.

I've salvaged dozens over the years and had some families that needed meat and I would call them to come get the deer.

I hate seeing them go to waste, even if there mangled let them become yote bait....

Rumor has it there have even been a few in the trunk of patrol cars over the years. :sorry:

• Like 1

On 11/15/2016 at 4:20 PM, Zem18 said:

Have any of you witnessed one happen in front of you? I saw one last night and the damn doe was still alive and trying to get up but her legs were all messed up. I kept driving as others had stopped but as I was driving away I couldn't help but think of that poor doe suffering in agony. I wanted to turn around and do something but I'm sure the cops were on the way as I passed one about a mile up the road prior to seeing this. I should have stopped to see if he dispatched it with his pistol. Busy road, right in front of a car wash.

We saw one just outside machias 2 years ago. Doe was busted up but trying to walk it off ,broken legs ,probably significant internal damage , some girl was walking next to it petting it while it stumbled around in the middle of rt. 16

On October 17, 2016 at 8:42 PM, chefhunter86 said:

If you need food that bad just find your local food pantry at least you know it's safe

Really!!! you know, they have these things called grocery stores that sell this stuff called Beef, Chicken, Pork, and Fish, give it a try sometime, a little salt and pepper and its great. Leave the road kill for the Buzzards and Coyotes 

Really!!! you know, they have these things called grocery stores that sell this stuff called Beef, Chicken, Pork, and Fish, give it a try sometime, a little salt and pepper and its great. Leave the road kill for the Buzzards and Coyotes 

Nice to see another normal human out there

• Like 1

I used to work for the DOT and we used to get calls all the time to pick them up.  In the fall before snow we would get them and hang them from the loader and cut out backstraps and hinds and bury the rest.  We used to take turns taking the meat home.  

This last year me and hunting buddies were in hunting and when we came out there was a hit deer by the road that wasn't there when we went in. My buddy threw it in the truck and the rear hinds were all still good.