Looking for a place to hunt

Austen32

This is my first fall in the area and I am looking for some advice on good places to hunt during the regular season. Im in region 6. I haven't been able to get out and scout some places until now because of work. I went and looked at Washington State Park in Adams this week and was planning on going to Tug Hill State Park sometime as well. Any information on these places and others would be helpful. Thanks 

Edited by Austen32

Other than word of mouth from a hunter who is obviously not going to give away his secrets... I would suggest taking some time to do a bit of online research.  Check out the NY DEC Interactive mapping tool (google search) which brings up a vast amount of public land available to hunting.  I suggest when you open it up to click on the "layers" button and check the box below goose hunting areas, I think its DEC Zones or something.... it shows the region boundaries.

Second, once you find a decent place on screen... take a look at it in googlemaps.  This will show you a relatively recent view of the growth of the area.  woods, fields, swamps, rivers etc.  See if the county or the DEC offers topo maps of the area.  Many Oswego and Oneida areas have topo maps linked to the county page.

At this point you should have a decent idea of where you are going and what is there.  Take a day trip to walk around and scout the area.  Just remember bow season is open now ;)