October storm: 10 years later

turkeyfeathers

http://galleries.buffalonews.com/default.aspx?id=7060

It was crazy. Power lines down everywhere. Branches snow laden brought them down. A line was down at our corner with it melting the middle of the street. I saw and heard two of those big round transformers on utility poles turn blue and blow. If I'm not mistaken the weather following was great.

Went to a wedding 3 nights later. Parents basement was flooded as sump with no power was not working. At wedding someone at our table said a local Sears was getting a shipment of generators You could not find a generator anywhere in the Buffalo area. People were driving to PA and Ohio to get them. So after wedding wife dropped me off at Sears. I waited in line in my sport coat and dress pants for 8 hours. Hungry and tired. People made coffee and donut runs for everyone. I landed that generator for my folks and we got their basement all cleaned up from the flooding of backing up and melting snow. Crazy times.

Any memories if you were effected ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was backpacking with my wife south east of Buffalo.  That storm wasn't forecasted very well.  Warmest clothes we had were our hooded sweatshirts. Woke up in the morning our tent was covered in snow.  We tried hiking but could no longer see the trail markers because the snow was blowing and sticking to the sides of the trees.  We finally found a campground and the owners were closing the next day and were going to be winterizing a few cabins they had.  They let us stay the night until we could get picked up the next day and they even baked chocolate chip cookies and brought them to us while still warm.

• Like 2

wow can't believe ten years already.  I remeber going to Niagara county to get some groceries and gas. They hardly had any snow and they had full power. Stocked up and went back home. Cooked a ton of food up on the grill... Lots of steaks. Took only two days for our power and had a woodstove to heat house.

• Like 1

My wife started calling Home Depots and finally found a generator in Henrietta and paid over the phone. I remember the "mom and pops" that we are supposed to cherish charging upwards of $2k for them while the "evil" big box store's prices never changed lol. I still shudder when I hear a generator running in the neighborhood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

With all the trees breaking it sounded like opening day of gun season all night long.  We lost about 30 trees initally with another 25 or so dying from the damage as the years went on.  No power for 9 days, wood-stove and back up sump-pump got us through fine.  Looking back, my kids were young and we all stayed home, played board games and enjoyed the time together.  

• Like 1