Letchworth

DanielT

Well its that time of year...and I love my fellow hunters on this forum...and look forward to your information and pics

We are headed to park for last week of October. ...anyone else headed down?. ..scouting?...pics?

Can't wait....feeling excited

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not many on here hunt the park for some reason. Was down to camp the first couple days but hunted the farm. East side was open but never made it over. Will be headed down next weekend to spend the next 5 weeks running the hills of the park.

Nice pic, Thats the only kind that will work on the park. Way to much work to take anything less.

• Like 2

Took the weekend off due to the warm weather.  Was there last Sunday and didn't see much sign in the woods as far as things starting to heat up.  Will probably be there both days this weekend and we have our cabin booked as always(November 4-12) albeit this year in the "C" cabins due to the construction at the Portageville entrance 

• Like 1

Took the weekend off due to the warm weather.  Was there last Sunday and didn't see much sign in the woods as far as things starting to heat up.  Will probably be there both days this weekend and we have our cabin booked as always(November 4-12) albeit this year in the "C" cabins due to the construction at the Portageville entrance 

I think judging from the # of deer I have seen in the fields in the evenings when i took a few ride arounds in September, it should be a good year there.  There isn't a lot of mast crop again this year from what I have seen in my scouting trips as well.  The river is the lowest i have ever seen it in the 8 yrs I have hunted there and I didn't have to ride around the whole park to get to the other side to check on some stand locations.  I just walked down to the bottom and walked across the river.  Never had that happen before..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaleP said:

I think judging from the # of deer I have seen in the fields in the evenings when i took a few ride arounds in September, it should be a good year there.  There isn't a lot of mast crop again this year from what I have seen in my scouting trips as well.  The river is the lowest i have ever seen it in the 8 yrs I have hunted there and I didn't have to ride around the whole park to get to the other side to check on some stand locations.  I just walked down to the bottom and walked across the river.  Never had that happen before..

Its not real tough crossing in spots with ropes when water is running normal. On our trips we found a huge amount of mast on the bottom itself this year. First one across the river is always the heaviest in the group. lol   You can still get to the A cabins by going thru the Castile entrance. C cabins are nice also just not the screen porch. We rented C8 to hold the guys that wont fit in our camp. Thats from the week of the 14th on into shotgun season.  

Maybe we all will meet up in there somewhere.

I used to bow hunt it with a dozen or so guys on the job. A few of them hunted it 30 years.

They'd lock up C cabins for several weeks , the end of bow and beginning of gun.

Was a nice hunt , but really a better outing with the  boys .  Frankly my spot is much better and easier to hunt . They would bring a rope system , strap the deer to a cart , set up a 4 to 1 and haul it up.

Frankly just packing out horns and meat is much simpler , but East coast guys don't seem to get that .

Must drag...... Lol 

Also in bow its possible to,get the park personal/ park police to open up some of the gates to let you drive down closer. We hunted down past the poilce shooting range and they've unlocked the gate and let us drive down more than once . But then my party may have an advantage.

• Like 6

I live a mile from the park on the east side and hunt it almost exclusively. I do a lot of scouting and run trail cameras year round.  Last year we had a bumper crop of apples, acorns and hickory nuts so the deer didn't have to move far to find food. This year the apples are scarce and the acorns are light in most spots, so if you find an area where the tree's are dropping more it will be a good spot to hunt.  The river is low now, but we are forecast to get 1.5 inches of rain by Friday so it will rise fast by the weekend.      I'm seeing lots of deer show up on camera along with the usual decent number of mature bucks. Scrapes are just starting to open up, but I expect things to pick up by Oct 25th, so just hoping for cooler temps to get the deer moving more during the day light hours. Most of the corn is still up on the east side and there's a lot of it, so the deer have all that to bed in and stay near the food. They should be starting to cut it soon though.  I'm looking at the the last weekend in Oct to start doing some all day sits and will take some days off the first 2 weeks of Nov to be in the woods as much as possible.  Good luck to all that hunt Letchworth!  Be safe out there and have fun!

James

• Like 6

I will be hunting about 5 minutes East of the park Saturday, first time out this season. Temperature looks great, going to be in the low 40's, hope the rain holds out- not looking good though. 

Genesee Michigan - your update definitely excites me. I am hunting a small block of woods, but is full of acorns- no corn by my woods, just a large 90 acre alfalfa field. I will have my tree umbrella on and try to sit all day. Looking forward to the weekend updates from the area.

• Like 1

Its not real tough crossing in spots with ropes when water is running normal. On our trips we found a huge amount of mast on the bottom itself this year. First one across the river is always the heaviest in the group. lol   You can still get to the A cabins by going thru the Castile entrance. C cabins are nice also just not the screen porch. We rented C8 to hold the guys that wont fit in our camp. Thats from the week of the 14th on into shotgun season.  
Maybe we all will meet up in there somewhere.

You say downhill is the way to go...but when i follow some trails down 2 or 3 ridges it seems sparse...or not as thick...but sill same rubs and scrapes....here and there....do I keep going?

27 minutes ago, DanielT said:

You say downhill is the way to go...but when i follow some trails down 2 or 3 ridges it seems sparse...or not as thick...but sill same rubs and scrapes....here and there....do I keep going?

We dont hunt around any trails really. We make it a point to try and stay away from the masses and that is where you will find the masses. Just the last 3 days 2 does have been taken and a couple potential takers have been seen on the bottom up off of the camping area. Those ridges are full of nuts and deer are plentiful. 

Its really like anywhere else. Learn the area you hunt and you will find what you are looking for. After 18 years we have a pretty good handle on the ways of the park. After this rain the bowels of Letchworth are going to be full and some of the best hunting ever is on the park when the bottom is flooded.

• Like 1

Appreciate the input as its a hard place to hunt...but truly a beautiful place...
I was actually referring to deer trails I find while scouting...sorry
Just wondering if I should dropping further down...as I see plenty of 1 1/2 and some 2 1/2 year old...just looking for mr..4 1/2

9 minutes ago, DanielT said:

Appreciate the input as its a hard place to hunt...but truly a beautiful place...
I was actually referring to deer trails I find while scouting...sorry
Just wondering if I should dropping further down...as I see plenty of 1 1/2 and some 2 1/2 year old...just looking for mr..4 1/2

LOL...Thats a crap shoot but lets just say where we find most of our shooters we are in spots that we leave our bows in the tree and not worry about them. You cant be faint of heart and many times have to think like a mountain goat at times, Those deer go down those places that many say they could never go by going down at angles..They go left a bit and then right then left again and down they go. Have seen a many sitting on their tails with their front feet out in front of them coming down the hill.

Amazing some of the places those things go and nobody...Well almost nobody..would go down there to hunt them. We have brought many a friend down to hunt the park with us because they have seen what can come out but they say we are freakin nuts and they never come back. lol    Gotta Luv It!

• Like 5

I have never hunted the park, I am about 1/2 mile South of the Damn - East Side of park. Looks like its going to be a wet morning, I plan on heading down to the tree at noon and stay till dark. 

Sounds like you guys are heading into some wild terrain tomorrow, if you get in a pinch your self or need assistance hauling a harvest out, feel free to send me a p.m. or post on here- I have no problem assisting.  Are you hunting the East or West side of park ? 

Edited by Hang Em High
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hang Em High said:

I have never hunted the park, I am about 1/2 mile South of the Damn - East Side of park. Looks like its going to be a wet morning, I plan on heading down to the tree at noon and stay till dark. 

Sounds like you guys are heading into some wild terrain tomorrow, if you get in a pinch your self or need assistance hauling a harvest out, feel free to send me a p.m. or post on here- I have no problem assisting.  Are you hunting the East or West side of park ? 

Would love to hook up with some of you guys. I will be hunting the farm in the morning and over on the park later in the day.We spend most of our time on the West side but we did find some interesting areas over off the Parade grounds we will be hitting this season.

If ya see my Ram feel free to stop and chat.Good Luck All.

• Like 1